Menu

a request for prayer

Sharon in MD

Our son Alex is heading for Drexel on Monday. Today has been a bit dreadful and really staked with some potentially significant problems

Alex had his wisdom teeth extracted back on the 24th of July...or thereabouts. Since then he has been faithful and religious, forgive the pun, about following the regimen for care. He keeps having little flare ups on one side where it gets sore and inflamed and hurts. He has been back in before, to see the surgeon, but it had calmed down and they didn't find anything. Fast Forward to today.

He called yesterday because it was back again and hurting more, you can physically feel the swelling in the jaw. He went in to see the surgeon, he agrees, something is cooking in there. Gave the kid a HUGE antibiotic shot and a prescription for oral antibiotics and scheduled him to come for a procedure tomorrow to open the gum and flush out the invaders.

Here are the really sticky points for prayer...

1. He is supposed to take his CLEP test for BIO tomorrow morning as well. So, now he gets to take it on Advil and then go to the surgeon for the procedure....nuf said.

2. If there are any further problems with this it is really not good because we are supposed to deposit him at Drexel on Monday night to start a special course on Tuesday morning.

3. On top of that, dh's car broke down today in the heart of DC and he had to have it towed

4. I am in a brand new job full time so we can pay for college....major stress there for me.

So, in short, I feel like the adversary is REALLY messing with us...guess we must be doing something right! (smirk, ha ha!) So please hit your knees with us on this. We would appreciate the support.

Oh, yikes! Sharon, things will sort themselves out (as they inevitably do), but I am so sorry that your family has to undergo this current stress.

Sending you and your son good thoughts for quick resolution to the immediate issues and hopes for smoother sailing in the days ahead.

:grouphug:

Jane

A side note: My oldest ds had his wisdom teeth out in Aug. He was also very diligant about the cleaning/washing out but suddenly noticed a bump in cheek/jaw line. The oral surgeon made small cut to open that side's gumline and washed it out - somehow food had gotten in to it. A shot of penicillin along with 3 days worth of antibiotic meds and it cleared up wonderfully - no further problems. It must be quite common. Sorry about the timing for your son though. He will mend quickly I am sure.

Susie

I am so touched by the outpouring of support and prayer from you, my cyber friends.

An update. For me it was a long day at work...I worked about 3 hours over to get through all my stuff...it is a steep learning curve, but I'm up to date and free to take off on Monday to deliver my ds to college.

Much more importantly...for Alex:

I'm very proud of him for multiple reasons and very grateful to the Lord for His provision:

A local dear friend offered late last night to chauffeur Alex to his test and appointments, sacrificing her entire day so that he could have moral support and we would not have to rent a car for my husband to get to work...Yeah JUDY!!,

For Alex, inspite of a big swollen infected abcess...he passed his clep!!! Yes!! ...not bad considering that he was coming back from a freshman hs class to try to pass a Clep that covers two levels of college bio!!! Go Alex Go!!!

It was pretty nasty at the oral surgeon...who is relatively young and hip, by the way. Lots of pus and grossness... The surgeon told him after the procedure..."hey, I make it a general rule not to compliment high school and college kids, because they are always so full of themselves...but you have made an impression on this office in the way you have handled yourself. Not only did you go complete your CLEP test on top of this procedure, but you have impressed the staff with your polite manner and the way you've handled yourself on all your visits." (without his mom being there to ride herd on the kid)

I have to tell you....Alex was so proud because of what this surgeon said to him....it was huge in his young eyes.

So, that about covers it....we had a busy day on all fronts, but your prayers carried us through...I know Alex and I both felt the support in a real way.

Please continue to pray that he will heal well and that there are not any further set backs.

We go to Philly Monday with all the gear and deposit the man-boy in his new home.

Thank you doesn't even begin to cover it.....

Things are going okay here at this point, but I don't feel really comfortable with where Alex is health wise yet.

He has a sinus infection going on at the same time that we are not sure if it is related to the abscess or just coincidental. He is on 500 mg Amoxicillan 3 times a day...but I wish it was Augmentan. I trust it a bit more. I'm hitting it with all the vitamin C, mucinex etc...to try to help.

His pain is still pretty bad, but improving. He has pain pill for a couple days to get past the edge.

It really was neat to have to surgeon compliment him. Sometimes getting a compliment from a successful young professional can make a big impact on a young man. I was really surprised when Alex told me because although this surgeon is a bit more talkative, he still had that professional distance to him in the times I was with him. It certainly made a big, positive impact on Alex.

He is excited about going to school Monday, but a little worried about not feeling his best and worried about the sinuses. If he is not improving by Monday morning, I'll haul him off to the Doctor first thing to get a different antibiotic. We don't have to leave till about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, so we could add an appointment first thing if we had to.

So, please pray that the bug goes away....quickly and completely.

Thank you for all the posts!