Menu

Sell me on kefir !

I know little about kefir but I am willing to try. Share with me what's the best-tasting brand I can expect to buy. I will buy it, drink it, try to like it, and try to get the rest of the family to like it. Can't see myself trying to do homemade right off the bat.

I'm sure it's pretty "mass market" but we've bought Lifeway for several years now. We get it at our regular chain grocery stores and the Base commissary.

We like strawberry the best. My girls call it "pink milkshake". I used to make yogurt regularly (but gave it up...just too much work when I had two under two) and that is easy, so I'm sure making your own would be simple as well. It's just a matter of finding the right bacteria from a good source.

Have you ever had kefir? :ack2:.

No, but I understand that it smells so awful that it is a common mistake to throw it out by accident. This is why I need advice.

Is it really utterly revolting? I should change my question to: share with me your best homemade remedy to make the best tasting store-bought kefir somewhat non-revolting.

I want to give it a try, but it will be a hard sell if I gag and then proceed to tell the kids, "hey, good stuff!" :cheers2:

No, but I understand that it smells so awful that it is a common mistake to throw it out by accident. This is why I need advice.

Is it really utterly revolting? I should change my question to: share with me your best homemade remedy to make the best tasting store-bought kefir somewhat non-revolting.

I want to give it a try, but it will be a hard sell if I gag and then proceed to tell the kids, "hey, good stuff!" :cheers2:

Lifeway must be really mass market, because it's just slightly tangy and REALLY sweet. I guess Lifeway is to kefir what Yoplait is to yogurt.

Our local Trader Joe has one that works fine for me.

The taste is proabably not for everyone. I take it because it's a natural probiotic and I had a long history with antibiotics. It falls into the category of lacto-fermented foods which supply our bodies with good bacteria and enzymes. It does smell a little like spoiled milk but this is not a problem for me.

You could try to mix it into other strong tasting things like orange juice if you find you cannot get it down by itself.

I didn't think it smelled bad, it just smelled like really tangy yogurt. Granted, my friend who made me try kefir makes her own which is plain and not flavored or mixed with anything. I thought it was :ack2:. I don't like my yogurt too tangy and kefir was like the tang without the yogurt.

I buy the Lifeway, plain, organic kefir. We've never tried it "straight." I use it in smoothies, a bit of banana, frozen fruit (usually strawberries, sometimes other mixtures), honey/agave nectar, maybe some juice (depending on how much frozen fruit I've put in the blender). My kids love this!

I recently bought So Delicious' Coconut Kefir and, wow, it was sooooo delicious ;)

I like miso. Problem is that if sugar doesn't kill me, sodium will.

Rosie, if you like miso, have you ever tried chickpea miso ? I discovered it a couple of years ago, when we abruptly left all soy products, and it is delicious in cooking !

If you are wanting it for probiotic qualities only, eat miso. It doesn't require sugar to make it taste good :)

Rosie

I like miso. Problem is that if sugar doesn't kill me, sodium will.

Rosie, if you like miso, have you ever tried chickpea miso ? I discovered it a couple of years ago, when we abruptly left all soy products, and it is delicious in cooking !

I've never seen chickpea miso, didn't even know about it until I read here! We have no problem eating fermented soy, I do try and avoid unfermented though. Grr. We live in Anglotown and there's no interesting food here!!

:)

Rosie

I agree with Ladydusk. So Delicious Coconut Milk Kefir really is delicious! I'm in love with the vanilla flavor.

I had my first sip of kefir today. Vanilla Coconut. I sort of liked it and could see myself experimenting with making kefir myself (more honey). (It cost over $5/quart.) Can anyone recommend a good recipe to duplicate So Delicious Vanilla Coconut kefir? Its main ingredient is coconut milk.