Menu

What are you studying for 2nd grade science: Earth science, chemistry, phsyics?

gandpsmommy

I'm planning Earth Science/Astronomy and nature study (which can be combined pretty naturally, I think). I haven't decided on a curriculum yet, but I'm leaning heavily toward "real books" as opposed to textbooks or reference books, etc. We'll keep a notebook and/or nature journal, read, do narrations, visit the planetarium, do experiments and keep records of them, etc.

I haven't figured out which specific resources yet, it's all still in-process.

Was this helpful at all? ;)

Melissa

My boys are 2nd and 1st grade.

This year we are studying invertebrates, using Evan Moor's workbook as an introduction, and lots of living books. We are studying them in a taxonomical order. I also have some coloring and labeling sheets.

Next year, we are going to study vertebrates in the same manner.

I feel these is a fabulous preparation for high school biology, because we are casually using many of the words highschoolers are hit with in a biology course. For example, when studying sponges, we call them Porifera. I drill them on it in a fun way, and always explain the meaning of words like this so that they are easier to understand. I explained what pores are, and the word porous. When we studied echinoderms, I explained that "echino" means spiny and "derm" means skin.

I have my course syllabus for invertebrates if anyone is interested.

It also just happens that the two readers my 2nd grader is working through this year pertain to invertebrates.

We are using Home Science Adventures Microscope kit. So I guess we're studying little things? lol

Science is last on my list this year. Dd spends lots of time discovering the natural world (but not Nature Study this year, unfortunately). Just yesterday, she dug up two interesting shells from the yard and the creek behind us.

It will have to suffice at this point. Next year she'll get lots of science in public school.

My boys will be 3rd and 4th grade. We will be doing Physics starting in August. For the first time I actually like what I decided on. It should be fun.

Here it goes:

I'll be using the Science in a Nutshell kits as my "spine." There are 6 or 7 for Physics. Between kits we'll use some other experiment books, i.e. Klutz Magnetic Magic, Janice VanCleve's Electricity and Gravity, etc. Also, between kits we will just build big stuff i.e. Knex kits, Marble Runs, Snap It Circuits while talking about what we learned. We will also read through "The New Way Things Work." That's it! I am very excited about Science for next year.

Susie

We finished first grade science by early April last year. We then did 6 month of astronomy with Apologia--in Oregon it just makes sense to study astronomy in summer when there aren't any clouds! Then we started chemistry with Noeo chem I in October and we should be able to finish by June (it's easy to go faster than it is schedule). I would like to pick up some earth science at some point, but as there is no obvious choice for curriculum for us, we'll be doing Noeo physics I next.

My boys are 2nd and 1st grade.

This year we are studying invertebrates, using Evan Moor's workbook as an introduction, and lots of living books. We are studying them in a taxonomical order. I also have some coloring and labeling sheets.

Next year, we are going to study vertebrates in the same manner.

I feel these is a fabulous preparation for high school biology, because we are casually using many of the words highschoolers are hit with in a biology course. For example, when studying sponges, we call them Porifera. I drill them on it in a fun way, and always explain the meaning of words like this so that they are easier to understand. I explained what pores are, and the word porous. When we studied echinoderms, I explained that "echino" means spiny and "derm" means skin.

It also just happens that the two readers my 2nd grader is working through this year pertain to invertebrates.

I am interested in the lesson plans!

Sounds like a good idea!

• 4 weeks later...

We are using Apologia's Exploring Creation with Astronomy for this year. My oldest son is in second grade and loves this book. After recently studying Pluto, my son had a small debate with his PS friends about whether or not Pluto was indeed a planet. His retention really amazed me.

For next year I am looking into Answers in Genesis science curriculum. They have a chemistry series, physics series, a life series, and a heaven and earth series. If a Christian based program is something you would be interested in, their web site is www.godsdesignscience.com

Up until this point, I have been very disappointed with the chemistry and physics options for young children. Let's face it, there's not much out there.

The above mentioned program is very new, but what I've seen so far has piqued my interest enough to order it for next year.

Tammy in MO

Well, I'm still waffling between curricula. I was looking at R.E.A.L. Science from Pandia Press earlier today, and really like the looks of it. I'm not sure how it fits us budget-wise yet, but if we can swing it, I might give it a try. I'd love to hear opinions on their Level 1 Earth/Space program, if anyone has used it.

:)

Melissa

I am VERY interested. I'm gonna be asking you so many questions. :D

Thanks Dawn.

Well, I'm still waffling between curricula. I was looking at R.E.A.L. Science from Pandia Press earlier today, and really like the looks of it. I'm not sure how it fits us budget-wise yet, but if we can swing it, I might give it a try. I'd love to hear opinions on their Level 1 Earth/Space program, if anyone has used it.

We used R.E.A.L. Science Earth/Space a couple years ago and really liked it. It is very easy to use. For each topic it has a page of text to read (there are additional book suggestions in an appendix which we used from the library to flesh it out) then there are activities. The activities are very hands on and easy to implement. Mostly easily gathered materials are used. My dd really enjoyed science that year and particularly loved the rock study (who would have thought?). She still loves collecting and trying to classify rocks. It was the easiest year of science on me and I would have definitely used their products again if they had Chemistry or Physics available. I also would have used the Life Science if I had found it in time. I did buy the rock kit from them but that was the only other significant expense. Hope that helps!

Thank you Beth, that's very helpful! I didn't think I'd be leaning toward a curriculum package for science this early on; I really just didn't think I'd find one that would be so appealing, but this one really seems to be. I wonder what the projected dates for physics and chemistry are? (ETA: I found the answer to my question, sort of. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12124&highlight=Pandia

Just in case anyone's interested.)

Anyway, thanks very much. I will be so happy to have all my decisions made, finally!

:D

Melissa

We will be doing earth science and astronomy using WTM suggestions. It has worked well for us (doing life science the WTM way) this year and I plan to continue next year.

:iagree: WTM recommends several Usborne books for 2nd grade science and they have some great new things for studying astronomy that we are going to use, as well.

We're going to do the Pandia Press R.E.A.L. Science earth and space too, did the life this year. I'm going to really flesh out the earth and space though. Eliana posted a GREAT list of books and other resources to use, we'll use the ones that the appropriate level for my kids, as well as anything we can find at the library. And there are several museums and places nearby that often have astronomy exhibits and events. Can't wait for those.

Classical Home Education sells a REAL Science package, it comes with extras, hoping to get that.

Will probably also get some related science kits, and watch all the space DVDs I have or can get through Netflix.

We also have a telescope, but it is almost as old as I am and its showing its age. When they are older, I will without a doubt invest the 500 bucks or more to get a quality scope. Oh yes.

Anyway, should be a fun year.

So....my first thought is, Science...I'm supposed to do science????

We're studying the solar system right now, and I have a feeling ds will want to stay with that theme for a while. I have the Apologia Astronomy book, so I might pull that out.

Honestly, I don't feel terribly compelled to do a big science curriculum at this stage of things.

We'll be using the REAL science Earth/Space for next year. We're doing Life Science this year, and it has been a big hit! I've got the curriculum in hand (just came last week) and we're excited to start it. I do wish there were more levels of this program--it's looking less and less likely she'll be writing any more, and the first two are really fabulous, IMHO!

We do some additional reading and worksheets because my ds LOVES science--using the Evan-Moore "Giant Science Resource Book", a McGraw-Hill textbook and lots of library books!