Menu

Can someone recommend a breast pump?

mo2

If you only need a manual for occasionally pumping, Medela Harmony is cheap ($35) and works well for me.

I don't have much experience with pumps. I've only used them twice. The last time I used an electric when my 2 year old (then 2 weeks old) was in the hospital with RSV. He was unable to nurse and the hospital provided one for me to keep up my supply. I'm getting just as much milk with the Harmony as I did with the electric one two years ago. Both pumps have required that I use lanolin for lubrication though.

The Avent manual pump was the first one I ever tried, and it didn't work well for me at all. I couldn't pump more than an ounce or two at a time (even pumping for as long as half an hour), and most of what did come out seemed to leak all over me rather than land in the collection bottle. :glare:

I've had better luck with an Ameda, no luck at all with with the Whisper Wear hands-free pump (lots of leakage, though, plus it was expensive), and the best experience ever with Medela pumps. (I had a Medela rental in the hospital after L was born prematurely. Even after I returned the rental, I still had the "kit" that went with it, which was convertible to a manual pump. That manual pump worked better than any of the others I'd tried. The rental was the best, though. I could get 7-8 oz. in 5-10 minutes!) I can't really justify getting an expensive pump like that, though, since I only pump to have milk on hand for dh when I leave the house for short periods of time (grocery shopping, going to the gym, etc.)

ETA: I'm quite small-breasted. Don't really know if that makes a difference, but just thought I'd put it out there in case. :)

Edited by yslek

I used mine daily for a total of 4 years. If you are looking for something for daily use it is what I would recommend. When I tried pumping with my oldest, I tried several inexpensive pumps and basically failed to pump enough and had to supplement with formula when I was at work. With the Medela, I was able to continue pumping and working my crazy long hours and nurse the girls for 2+ years each. I still have mine and my sil has borrowed it (we just bought new hoses and things for her). I know people who have been successful with hand pumps and such, I just wasn't. My Medela was about $200 9 years ago, but I consider it money well-spent.

The first one I used was a hospital-loaned/rented electric Medela double pump. I liked that one. Then I was given an electric Ameda double pump. That one was ok. I also had a manual Avent pump that I really liked. It did a better job than the electric Ameda pump. I recommend it. It was very handy to take with me wherever I needed it.

Avent-SCF30020-ISIS-Manual-Breast-Pump-w-4oz-Bottles-img1.jpg

ETA: I'm quite small-breasted. Don't really know if that makes a difference, but just thought I'd put it out there in case. :)
Me too, and we seem to have had totally different experiences with the Avent pump! Edited by gardening momma
corrected name of pump

I used Mandela Pump in Style. If you are going to do pumping on a regular or semi-regular basis you want something good. If you haven't had the baby yet, some hospitals will give you a manual pump. Always talk to the lactation nurse at the hospital. Even if you've already had the baby you can call her. She gave me a whole bag of stuff (extra storage bottles, lanolin etc) as well as brochures for renting pumps and info on BF support groups etc.

I used the Avent Manual pump and loved it. I didn't like any of the automatic ones for many reasons..but the Avent Manual worked great. I used it almost solely...as breastfeeding was very difficult for me, so we had to rely on pumped milk..I used it for 7 months constantly. Best part was it wasn't as much of an investment and was very portable.

I used mine daily for a total of 4 years. If you are looking for something for daily use it is what I would recommend. When I tried pumping with my oldest, I tried several inexpensive pumps and basically failed to pump enough and had to supplement with formula when I was at work. With the Medela, I was able to continue pumping and working my crazy long hours and nurse the girls for 2+ years each. I still have mine and my sil has borrowed it (we just bought new hoses and things for her). I know people who have been successful with hand pumps and such, I just wasn't. My Medela was about $200 9 years ago, but I consider it money well-spent.

I totally agree. My Medela Pump In Style went through 2 kids pumping for 2 years each and now a friend is borrowing it. Still pumping strong! WELL, WELL worth the $250 I paid for it about 5.5 years ago. I would do it again if it cost twice that. MUCH cheaper than formula!

For what it's worth, FORGET manual pumping. You work so hard and hardly get anything.

I totally agree. My Medela Pump In Style went through 2 kids pumping for 2 years each and now a friend is borrowing it. Still pumping strong! WELL, WELL worth the $250 I paid for it about 5.5 years ago. I would do it again if it cost twice that. MUCH cheaper than formula!

For what it's worth, FORGET manual pumping. You work so hard and hardly get anything.

I've been Bfing for nearly 5 years now (had to see that in writing). I LOVE my medela, it is worth more than the 300 bucks I paid for it! I had the avent manual & could not get anything with it, even though I was soaking through nursing pads while away from DD for quick errands! The thing ended up breaking not too long after, the top popped off & would not go back on!

With that said I bought the medela pump thinking I would need it for maybe a few months... didn't know really what to expect. I turned out to be a milk producer of the heifer variety & got far more from it than I paid for it with DD1!

I would find the money, begs, borrow, begs some more. Get the medela!

BTW- I don;t know if anyone mentioned renting, but I would NOT. I noticed the rental prices at our pediatricians recently & some quick math came up with the pump costing several times more than my initial purchase!

I hope this helps!

BTW- I don;t know if anyone mentioned renting, but I would NOT. I noticed the rental prices at our pediatricians recently & some quick math came up with the pump costing several times more than my initial purchase!

I rented just for the first month. After that, I expected to not need a pump. Things turned out otherwise, but fortunately one was given to me, then I bought the Avent manual (again, apparently women have vastly different experiences with it. I got more milk using it than the Ameda electric).

Rental pumps cost a couple thousand dollars to buy. Their efficiency is VERY different then the $200 Pump in Styles. Most pumps companies make three different kinds: manual, personal electric and multi user rental hospital grade pumps.

For what it's worth I am a certified lactation counselor and to boot just went through an eight hour pump training with Ameda, Medela and Hygeia last week!

I have used the Medela Harmony and it works great if you only want to pump once a day or so. I really got sore using it often. This same brand also has electric pumps that you can use if you need to pump often. I only used mine to get a few bottles for if I go out to the store or somethig and it worked for that.

I just saw these people present at a lactation conference and I am VERY impressed:

http://www.hygeiababy.com/

That being said are you looking for a hand held or an electric?

And first off DON'T get a Evenflo electric pump. The four brands you can trust are Ameda, Medela, Hygeia and Avent.

That looks nice but probably out of my price range. I don't know what I am looking for...I am a pro at breastfeeding but not so much at pumping. I think I will need to pump once a day. The only pumps I have used are ones purchased at WalMart (obviously a big mistake...they left me bleeding and sore). What would you recommend?

That looks nice but probably out of my price range. I don't know what I am looking for...I am a pro at breastfeeding but not so much at pumping. I think I will need to pump once a day. The only pumps I have used are ones purchased at WalMart (obviously a big mistake...they left me bleeding and sore). What would you recommend?

You said pumping once a day right? To supply the baby for when you are gone, or for an emergency, or so you're dh can give a bottle....? And you said not too expensive, so the under $100 range or under $50 range? And is cost more of a factor then pumping time? Like you could get a good single for under 50 but spend 3x as long pumping as if you had a double electric....

so just looking for more info, but I'd be happy to make a recommendation for you...

You said pumping once a day right? To supply the baby for when you are gone, or for an emergency, or so you're dh can give a bottle....? And you said not too expensive, so the under $100 range or under $50 range? And is cost more of a factor then pumping time? Like you could get a good single for under 50 but spend 3x as long pumping as if you had a double electric....

so just looking for more info, but I'd be happy to make a recommendation for you...

Pumping once a day to supply the baby for when I am at work. I would like to stay under $100. I figure at that price range I will have to get a single and just take longer to pump, although a double would be more convenient.

Thanks for your help. I talked with a LLL leader but she didn't really have much for advice.