Menu

Need easy, kid friendly breakfast ideas!

We've recently started doing Bible study/prayer time/family meeting with our kids in the morning before school. To make it more of an "event," DH has asked me to try to cook breakfast (ie., more than cereal! :D) as much as possible. That's fine by me, but my breakfast ideas run out at pancakes, eggs and bacon or french toast! Anyone have any good ideas for easy, quick and young kiddo friendly breakfast ideas? I'm not opposed to sweet things, but I want to keep it as healthy as possible.

Thanks so much!

Oatmeal

Waffles with PB & Honey

Waffles with Nutella and sliced bananas...mmmmmm

Muffins (I like the Fiber One mix a lot, and add fruit to the mix)

Tortillas with melted cheese and ham

cinnamon toast

homemade Egg McMuffin

pigs n blanket (low fat sausages baked in buscuit)

yogurt and granola/cereal

yogurt with waffle slices to dip

Smoothies made with frozen berries and yogurt

I ALWAYS serve any breakfast with a serving of fruit too, so applesauce, bananas, berries, etc.

If you cook potatoes the night before, cook extra, cut them into chunks & stick them in the fridge. The next morning, fry them & serve with ketchup (dh likes his with sriracha sauce) and possibly onions & green peppers (which my kids don't like). You could also throw in some diced polish sausage. It really doesn't take long & is pretty cheap.

Baked Oatmeal is good, too. You can assemble it the night before & bake it the next morning. I like this recipe with chocolate chips. http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/breakfastbrunch/baked-oatmeal-3/

HTH!

breakfast sandwiches with English muffin, bagel, or toast with egg, cheese, ham or sausage patty, etc.

breakfast pizza: open-faced English muffins or bagels with various toppings cooked in toaster oven

fruit kabobs with yogurt & granola for dipping

Here's a really easy breakfast casserole you can prep the night before, then throw it into the oven when you get up.

Simple Breakfast Casserole

6 eggs

1 cup milk

6 oz cheddar cheese, grated

1 lb. sausage or bacon, cooked and crumbled

4 Hash brown patties, frozen (*if you don't have patties in your grocery, use the shredded frozen hashbrowns in a single layer on the bottom of the pan)

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp dry mustard

Note: May also add a little onion for more flavor

Line an 8x8 baking dish with frozen hash browns.

Sprinkle hash browns with crumbled sausage or bacon.

Mix together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and dry mustard. Pour over meat and hash browns.

Top with grated cheddar cheese

Refrigerate overnight.

Cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes - 1 hour.

Makes 4-6 servings.

The neat thing about this is you can change it up however you want. If you want a Denver Omelette style, mix in some diced peppers and onions. If you want more of a Mexicanny style, use Jack cheese and salsa. It's very versatile.

All these suggestions sound yummy.

We like:

oatmeal- kids can add toppings- raisins, nuts, dried fruit, coconut, honey, brown sugar, etc

Waffles with fruit topping

Cream of wheat and toast

Yogurt, fruit, muffins (could make muffins day before) I usually make a large batch that will last for several B'fast or snacks)

I do the same with pancakes, waffles

Egg/sausage casserole- made the night before is really good

Eggs-whisk together with

grated cheese, mushrooms,cooked sausage, or whatever you want- like an omlette. Bake in the am. serve with grits and fruit

There are some ideas here that we do as well: breakfast burritos, baked oatmeal, etc. Here is one more:

Ham and Cheese Omelet Roll

4 oz cream cheese, softened

3/4 c milk

2 Tablespoons flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

12 eggs

8 oz ham, chopped

6 oz swiss (or other cheese), shredded

1/4 c green onions or chives, thinly sliced

2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk cream cheese and milk until smooth, add flour and salt and whisk some more. Whisk in the 12 eggs. Cover a jelly roll pan with parchment paper and spray it with non-stick spray. Pour in the egg mixture and bake for 10 minutes or until puffy and golden. Remove from the oven, spread mustard over the top. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the mustard, then the ham and green onions, then the other half of the cheese. Roll up like a jelly roll. Let it stand a little bit (no more than 5 minutes) so that the cheese melts. It's easy, it looks lovely and it's delicious.

I love to play around with this baked oatmeal recipe. I've yet to have it turn out poorly, and guests have always liked it.

My favorite is to make cranberry walnut with some apple mixed in. I also like to add a little nutmeg. YUM!

This sounds awesome. Can I make this the night before, leave it in the fridge, and then bake it in the morning? I have to work so mornings are kind of busy and I love things that I can get ready the night before.

I haven't tried making it the day before. I think my only worry would be that it wouldn't rise properly. It doesn't rise that much to begin with, but it's nice for it to be a little lighter. Maybe you could try just mixing in the baking powder in the morning and see how it works? I would imagine it would still taste good either way.