Menu

What Christian sci curriculum reads like a living book? (for ages 6 and 9)

HappyGrace

I'd like something pick up and go that I can read to both dc at the same time, but that is thoroughly grounded in Scripture. I just want to read science to them due to a full schedule otherwise-don't want a full curriculum. I thought of just doing library books, but I want more Biblical content. (I won't be starting this til Jan due to lack of funds right now so something that hasn't come out yet might be okay!)

I looked at Apologia and it's the closest thing I can find, but it gets SO involved into each topic for such a long time we'd go batty. We just don't need to know that much about birds-lol!

God's Design for Sci looks more dry, but I like how it doesn't go so deep. HELP!

I've been really curious about The Storybook of Science by Jean Henri-Fabre. It's listed at Queen's Homeschool supply http://www.queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html and they have other living books on science and nature there that would be a good jumping off point in your search. I found it online at http://www.mainlesson.com/display.php?author=fabre&book=science&story=_contents&PHPSESSID=2f0ab84612052549832432a4cb4621e2 so free to view.

Good luck!

Edited by Verity

I'd like something pick up and go that I can read to both dc at the same time, but that is thoroughly grounded in Scripture. I just want to read science to them due to a full schedule otherwise-don't want a full curriculum. I thought of just doing library books, but I want more Biblical content. (I won't be starting this til Jan due to lack of funds right now so something that hasn't come out yet might be okay!)

I looked at Apologia and it's the closest thing I can find, but it gets SO involved into each topic for such a long time we'd go batty. We just don't need to know that much about birds-lol!

God's Design for Sci looks more dry, but I like how it doesn't go so deep. HELP!

No disrespect, but the Zoo 1 book isn't just about birds, it is all flying creatures. I personally love the Apologia books for how in depth and informative they are. We never got bored with them. Just FYI here are some of the other topics Zoo 1 covers:

Bats

Flying Reptiles

Insects

Beetles, Flies, and True Bugs

Flying Factuals (a unit about how things fly and why it works etc- actually very cool!)

Also the whole first chapter covers what exactly Zoology is and the classification system.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude or something. Dd did Zoo 1 in co-op, and even doing it only one day a week, she really got burned out just hearing about one topic. That's why I'm having a hard time with science-MANY of the curricula do one topic per year. I do think Apologia does about the best job with making the topics conversational and interesting.

Also, my dc at this point aren't very interested in systematically covering and delving into just one topic in detail-they like to learn about a lot of different things, esp. with regard to science.

Also, my dc at this point aren't very interested in systematically covering and delving into just one topic in detail-they like to learn about a lot of different things, esp. with regard to science.

I understand your concern. I agree that Apologia is great in regards to the "living book" aspect, but I've also been on the hunt for a science course that covers more topics in a year as my dd needs the exposure since we've not done much formal science and she is 11. :blush5:

I've been perusing God's Design for Science but have also hesitated, wondering if it would be too dry.

Science Excursion is a new curriculum that looks appealing particularly because it is science experiment oriented and includes everything needed to carry out those experiments so it'd be easy to use. But again, the books is in black and white and it doesn't seem to have the "living book" feel that Apologia has.

All of this to say, that I have no real advice, but do understand your concern and you are not alone! :grouphug:

We used the Christian Liberty Press Nature Readers for this age range...then we would cover science from a book like "Dorling Kindersley" Science Encyclopedias...going through history with our science..when we came across a notable (good idea to make a list of top 20 scientists you definitely want to cover) one, we would check out the great autobiographical books on them...wonderful discussions on how their faith influenced their love for science and how faith got in the way (the whole world was flat argument)....

Hope this helps!

Tara

We have the CLP readers too and my dc are not that fond of them. I LOVE the look of the Storybook of Science, but I don't think they'd enjoy it. I don't know what it is-they don't like a lot of narrative blah, blah, blah (not saying that's how those books are-I LOVE them, but I can see my dc tuning out and I know it's sounding like blah, blah to them). They are really just the facts type of kids, I guess.

I wanted to chime in for people following this thread that the Ann Voscamp Child's Geography Vol I might be able to be used in this capacity-it covers weather, atmosphere, etc. (Again with the blah, blah for my dc though-it's a very chatty narrative.)

I will give you an example of one I think they would like-it moves along without so much narrative, yet is gripping to hold their attention:

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-World-Physics-Machines-Nuclear/dp/0890514666/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250986707&sr=8-3#reader

Maybe because it's tied in with history and thus has more connections? They also like Mathematicians are People Too for a living math book-again, has the history connections. Maybe they just need more tie-in like that? Wow, light bulb moment right here about their learning styles!!!

We are using God's Design for Science. We just started it this year. It's not enthralling :-), but interesting enough. We already have a full plate in other areas (see my sig.) so I really appreciate that it can be done zippity-quick when we need to. But it gets done. My kids check out science books and videos from the library when they want to dig in.

If we had a curriculum any more involved I really don't think we would get science done. My two cents.

Maybe you should reconsider a good textbook and then check out books to "round" it out from the library. I have been looking for living books curriculum (trying to be a good CM follower) and am baffled why I won't give the 2 Abeka textbooks I have a chance. Mine are a 4th and 5th grade level, so they are more advanced (go a little more technical, which my kiddos will appreciate) and then we can springboard into more depth with any topic they seem interested in. I love that in the 4th grade one it covers lots of topics and every week (if we go at that speed) we are learning a little about a state bird (my son is a bird buff). I've looked at just about everything suggested here already and NOEO (the best contender), Considering God's Creation (and the accompanying Simply Charlotte Mason study guide), Creation Science by Whitlock and Gerwitz (which is being given away for free on her website right now, you just pay for shipping), Christian Kids explore Biology.....I'm rethinking my science curriculum in the textbook/springboard direction.

HAve you looked at Beautiful Feet History of Science. This uses living books, Your Story Hour cds, and How Things Work. It was a big hit here!

You might also consider Noeo. It is a single subject for the year - Chemistry, Biology, or physics. But, it uses quite a few living books.

Two questions...is the considering God's creation study guide for sale on the SCM website? Also, what is the website where I can get the Whitlock and Gerwitz science if you pay shipping? Thanks!

, Considering God's Creation (and the accompanying Simply Charlotte Mason study guide), Creation Science by Whitlock and Gerwitz (which is being given away for free on her website right now, you just pay for shipping), Christian Kids explore Biology.....I'm rethinking my science curriculum in the textbook/springboard direction.

Wow, Earth Angel, sounds like you've done even more legwork than I have! I'm actually relieved to hear it so I can stop looking.

I've used Noeo (good, but no Christian content) and I have CGC here, which at some point when I have more time for sci I had planned to do with the SCM guide. I also have the BF Hist of Sci and I LOVE it, but I'm waiting til my little guy is a little bigger so I can do it with them together (probably 3rd and 6th grade).

I do have the BJU 3 so I could do the same thing Earth Angel is saying. I just don't want to spend much time on sci. I could actually just read the BJU. But surprisingly, it doesn't have much Christian content!

I was just in love with how the Apologia wove it all in together-it was Christian content that didn't feel "forced" but there was plenty of it.

I suppose for this year I may just have to read library science books and/or BJU and get our intense Christian content elsewhere. I want to thank everyone for their help in thinking this all through!

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude or something. Dd did Zoo 1 in co-op, and even doing it only one day a week, she really got burned out just hearing about one topic. That's why I'm having a hard time with science-MANY of the curricula do one topic per year. I do think Apologia does about the best job with making the topics conversational and interesting.

Here is an option you could consider- purchase ALL the Apologia elementary books and rotate them a chapter at a time. Meaning, do chapter one of each of the books one right after another, then chapter two and so on. It would take you years to get through all the books and the topics would be rotating to keep boredom from setting in.

I suppose it's not what you want, but the BJU science is very thorough and hits stimulating concepts, even if it does need expansion to satisfy. You could do a solid program like that with your older, let your younger tag along for the hands-on stuff (which he could quite easily) and then just using living books and usborne kits (magnets, etc.) with your younger. The BJU4 covers mechanics and stuff your boy would enjoy.

If you use another curriculum, I'd do the same thing, teaching to the older and then getting living books to flesh out the topic for your younger. Your younger has no need of textbook science, just hands-on, where your older will benefit from the process of reading a textbook for comprehension, etc. Yes, the apologia books would be fine, though again your kids would interact with them in very different ways. Your older would be able to do them independently (and enjoy it), where your younger would need them read aloud.

BTW, if you did get interested in the BJU science, I could check my bin to see what I haven't sold off yet. I might be able to cut you a great deal. :)

HAve you looked at Beautiful Feet History of Science. This uses living books, Your Story Hour cds, and How Things Work. It was a big hit here!

:iagree:

I will give you an example of one I think they would like-it moves along without so much narrative, yet is gripping to hold their attention:

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-World-Physics-Machines-Nuclear/dp/0890514666/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250986707&sr=8-3#reader

I love everything John Tiner writes, so I know what you mean about getting to the point, making connections and keeping God woven into the material. You and your children might enjoy God's Marvelous Gifts by CLE.

It includes 62 chapters that are around 2 pages long, so it's very quick and straightforward. The reading would be easily followed by a 6 year old, and your 9 year old can answer the questions at the end of the chapter, or skip them. There are suggested experiments about every 3 chapters which are simple enough for a child to complete independently.

Topics include:

Heaven & Earth (Light, Night, Firmament, Clouds, Water, Planets, Rocks & Mountains, Oceans & Seas, Lakes & Rivers)

Botany (Grass, cacti, Ferns & Mosses, etc....)

Firmament (Sun, Moon, Stars, Constellations, Seasons, etc...)

Living Creatures (Fish, Sea Animals, Amphibians, Reptiles........ Mammals...... Insects, etc.....)

Anatomy (Body, Blood, Heart, Nervous System, Eyes, Ears, Lungs, etc....)

Click here and go to page 46 for the Table of Contents.

Here's an excerpt from Chapt 3:

"And God called the firmament heaven.

Another name for the firmament is "sky." It is the beautiful blue dome you work and play under. But it is not always blue.

Have you ever watched a brilliant red-orange sunset or a soft pink sunrise? Have you seen the sky turn gray during a storm? Why isn't the sky always the same color?

To understand we must first know about the atmosphere. The atmosphere is a blanket of air, gases, and dust particles surrounding the earth. When sunlight enters the earth's atmosphere, the atmosphere scatters the light rays....

God created the atmosphere for both beauty and usefulness. Because of the atmosphere, we can live to appreciate the beauty of the sky and to thank God for it."

This text does not go in depth on any topic, but provides an excellent introduction for young children. It is written by one author (Faythelma Bechtel) and not by a committee and is in a conversational tone so it could be considered a living book.

It's available used on Amazon.

My 2 cents,

We tried God's Design for Science and it was very dry in our opinions.

NOEO was written by a Christian lady and many love it. Maybe look into that?

The John Hudson Tiner books are fabulous!!!! He also has a curriculum set.. PAC... see cbd.com. All his stuff seems to be geared for about ages 4th or 5th and older.

The John Hudson Tiner books are fabulous!!!! He also has a curriculum set.. PAC... see cbd.com. All his stuff seems to be geared for about ages 4th or 5th and older.

Can you please elaborate on Tiner's curriculum set called "PAC"? I didn't see it on CBD. Thanks!

I've been really curious about The Storybook of Science by Jean Henri-Fabre.

It's interesting, and my son likes it. We're reading a few chapters every once in a while. The other one by Fabre (that's his last name, not Henri-Fabre), Secret of Everyday Things, is a rather interesting and unique book -- I like the idea of reading about, say, needles, but it contains a few rather unnecessary comments about other cultures (e.g. in Rice chapter, "people in hot climates are not like us" type of things) so I think I will print off from Google Books and skip those chapters.

I haven't read the Wonder Book of Chemistry. These are all available in print from Yesterday's Classics (you can get them from Amazon or wherever you buy books). There's also several on insects (that was his specialty) and one called "Animal Life in Field and Garden" -- I have only seen the first two I mentioned.

By the way, I didn't feel that the religion in the two of Fabre's books I read, is heavy-handed. God is occasionally mentioned, but not copiously or like a sermon. It may not be quite enough for what you're looking for.

I also like the books by Margaret Morley, but I'm not sure they're particularly religious. They are available online and some are in print.

Two questions...is the considering God's creation study guide for sale on the SCM website? Also, what is the website where I can get the Whitlock and Gerwitz science if you pay shipping? Thanks!

Yes the study guide is called 106 Days of Creation Study, available as a pdf or printed book. Here is the link.

Here is the link for the Whitlock and Gerwitz science. The shipping is unfortunately $8.50 (well for me anyway). These authors take a literal (1 day in creation is a 24 hour day) approach and have lots of "heavy" material for thought. I'm not sure if it will work for my youngin's or not, but it would be a nice investment for the future.

I considered the buying all the Apologia books as TXMary suggested too, but thought it would be too expensive. Now that I add it up, I see it really wouldn't be much more than some of the other curriculums I've been looking at (and would last muuuuuch longer). These could be my "rounding out" books from the Abeka textbook (hmmmmmm.....where's the scratching my chin in thought smiley?). Oh and Apologia is on sale at CBD until the end of the month too!

Question about Noeo though (because I'm pathetic and can't make up my mind), it's not Christian oriented? I thought it was (but I could be assuming that because of the author)....wait, wasn't there a huge thread on it somewhere....off to search...:leaving:

I considered the buying all the Apologia books as TXMary suggested too, but thought it would be too expensive. Now that I add it up, I see it really wouldn't be much more than some of the other curriculums I've been looking at (and would last muuuuuch longer). These could be my "rounding out" books from the Abeka textbook (hmmmmmm.....where's the scratching my chin in thought smiley?). Oh and Apologia is on sale at CBD until the end of the month too!

Question about Noeo though (because I'm pathetic and can't make up my mind), it's not Christian oriented? I thought it was (but I could be assuming that because of the author)....wait, wasn't there a huge thread on it somewhere....off to search...:leaving:

Plus Jeannie Fulbright (elementary series author) is coming out with an Anatomy book by year end and next year a Chemistry book so that really would make the Apologia series cover just about everything for K-6.

I've been really curious about The Storybook of Science by Jean Henri-Fabre. It's listed at Queen's Homeschool supply http://www.queenhomeschool.com/bookpage/bookframe.html and they have other living books on science and nature there that would be a good jumping off point in your search.

We have several of Fabre's books. The Story Book of Science is excellent, covering a variety of topics. The main character is an uncle who shares things he has observed or discusses topics of interest that the niece and nephews bring up. I'll be using it next year with dc in 4th, 3rd, and 1st. It has 80 chapters, so you could do 2 or 3 a week and it would last the entire year.

Animal Life in Field and Garden uses the same framework (uncle discussing/showing things to the niece and nephews), but is more focused, covering a variety of insects, birds, and small animals.

Story Book of Birds and Beasts does not use that framework, but is still good. The uncle in the other books was the one who made Christian commentary; so without him, the book is not as obviously Christian. I also find it a little drier, though still interesting.

Queen's Homeschool Supply carries some other books that look really good and might fit your needs. A Nature Walk with Aunt Bessie and Mary's Meadow are two that I am considering getting later on.

Blessings,

Laura

You may have already made your decision, but I just stumbled upon this at a local used homeschool curriculum store and thought I would share. It's called Life Science with Real Books: Plants, Animals, and the Human Body by Susan Marra. It can be found at www.booknestguides.com. I'm hoping it will guide us as I was having similar issues with Apologia.

Here is an option you could consider- purchase ALL the Apologia elementary books and rotate them a chapter at a time. Meaning, do chapter one of each of the books one right after another, then chapter two and so on. It would take you years to get through all the books and the topics would be rotating to keep boredom from setting in.

Now *that* is an awesome idea!!!:)

This is a fabulous idea. I love the way she writes in the Apologia books, I find it very inspiring and comforting how she gives God credit for all His creation. When my son sees the sky and water and animals I want him to directly SEE God's hand not just the facts. However, I have the same problem other people have shared in that my son just doesn't have the attention span. We have been doing library books and that works out great, but I really miss the spiritual edge that these books have.

I always felt I had to read these Apologia books from start to finish and do one book at a time. I don't know why I thought that!! How many times have we told each other curriculum is to be a TOOL! I see now how I could have all the books and use sticky tabs to mark places in the books for us to read!!

I could use it very much like a science encyclopedia set as well.

Edited by Nancy Ann

• 3 weeks later...

Same boat here. I have a 4,5,& 6 yo. I've looked at so many sciences. I had narrowed it down to sonlight or WP, but then I realized I really don't want heavy use of Usborne books. I want real living books at this age, with biblical content. So right now I will probably go with "106 days of creation" from SimplyCharletteMason.com, starting in January, which gives me time to finish CLP science (which is another good one, but would be too young for your 9yo) and gather the videos and books for the study. Then after that I plan on using Apologia, we can always add in some living books. 106 days combines scripture, covers a variety of subjects (which is something I would like to do first), uses videos, does experiments, and uses living books. Hope this helps, I've been frustrated because I've spend so much time on a subject that will not be a core subject and while I have so many choices, I still don't have something that just "fits the bill" (like my Phonics Road and Rightstart and Beautiful Feet History).

Edited by Honey Bee