Menu

Audiobook recommendations for our upcoming roadtrip?

Hi there,

We're headed to the maritime provinces in a week and I"m thinking of downloading a few audiobooks for the drive. I"m uninspired by the list on iTunes. We're avid readers, so I was having a hard time finding something we haven't all read, or that dd hasn't read.

So here's the target audience:

Me, the mom

Dh, who doesn't really care what he listens to as he drives

DD, 12, and avid reader

My mom, who is traveling with us.

We all love historical fiction. I'm wondering if it's time to introduce dd to Jane Austen? Or do you think she's young yet?

What are some great historical fiction audiobooks that your family loves?

Thanks for any suggestions!

astrid

We love audio dramas. We like Focus on the Family Bonhoeffer (sp?) and Chronicles of Narnia. We've listened to audiobook 1776 by McCullough, Henty books by Jim Weiss and Adventures in Odyssey. I generally find books that fit with what we are studying. We've listened to the HObbit, Kite Fighters, The Cat of Bubastes and the Henty William Wallace one. oh, I like the Silver Shard as well.

Christine

Astrid, after numerous 1000 mile (one way) road trips from Jersey to Iowa (and back again), our all-time favorites are:

The Whipping Boy read by Kerry Shale (#1 all-time favorite)

Witch of Blackbird Pond

Tom Sawyer

The Cricket in Times Square

The Cay

Call it Courage

Our audience includes me and dh (both 45), an 18 yo boy, 14 yo girl, and 10 yo boy. We all love each and every one of these. I'll sometimes get a Nancy Drew book just for fun. The wording is SO hilarious!!

And Ramona. Read by Stockard Channing. They're all just fun!!

Oh! And The Greatest Christmas Pageant Ever. That was fun too. :D

OOOH! Thanks so much for the replies! We travel all over the country to dog shows, and we just have never done audio books in the car. As kids, we drove 1500 miles one way every summer from Connecticut to Kansas to visit my grandparents. We always loved the ride, but I could never read in the car (carsick) and just think of all the literary time I wasted ! :001_smile:

Thanks again!

Astrid

Oh--Ramona the Pest read by Stockard Channing IS hilarious! (A previous poster suggested it.)

I think I enjoyed it more than my 6 yo. Your daughter isn't too old for it, just because the reader reads it in such a hilarious way.

She didn't seem to read the other books as funny. Something in the way she read Ramona the Pest was just perfect.

I think Austen is a GREAT idea! Choose one of the more accessible ones, and she'll be a fan for life! Also, the Recorded Books version of Huck Finn is INCREDIBLE! The reader does a fantastic job at the accents, and really brings out the humor.

I also enjoyed I, Claudius and Claudius the God at about that age (and still do--some of my favorite books).

Oh, and the BBC dramatized Lord of the Rings is excellent too--the audiobook we had when I was growing up had the world's most annoying reader, so I am leery of recommending that, but perhaps it's been redone, or another company than Recorded Books has done a version. But the radio drama is excellent--very enjoyable, and quoteable!

Enjoy the journey!

I always recommend this one to anyone that asks:

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, by Kate DiCamillo

It is sooo good!!

We've listened to a lot of audio books, but I'm trying to think of something else that I enjoyed as much as my kids did....

Everything on a Waffle, by Polly Horvath

Tiger, Tiger, by Lynne Reid Banks

Shiloh, by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

The Tale of Despereaux, by Kate DiCamillo (so much better than the movie)

Island of the Blue Dolphins, by Scott O'Dell

and another vote for the Ramona books here :)

My oldest son is also 12. On our trip this summer we listened to the Prince and the Pauper....it was difficult for the first cd to get into the old English speech, but we all loved it. Now my 12 yo quotes from it all the time and it makes us all laugh so hard.

We also did a Focus on the Family version of Les Miserables which was good.

Our all time fav though is BBC version of the Wind in the Willows...the acting is hilarious.

Oh and most Hank the Cowdogs. Saddlehouse Robbery is our fav.

(I love car travel because we all get to be captive to some great audiobooks!)

Great list! Please share how you get your books. We have a pretty limited library.

Our library system has a lot of good ones, and they don't charge anything to check out the children's books on tape or CD. I have also gotten many from audible.com

Can't afford the membership now, though :(

You should be able to get books from other libraries in your region. Check and see if they send them around. Listening to books you have already read brings a whole new dimension and fun to them. We find we notice all the great little details when we listen in the car.

Around the World in 80 days......read by jim dale. O.M.G. amazing.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Great reading by some British guy;p

:)

K

We just listened to Around that World and loved it. Also just listened to a fine audio production of Pride & Prejudice. I have a tough audience to please, boys, 17 & 12, and even they loved it. Also, we just finished tonight listening to Alan Rickman read The Return of the Native. A little heavy for a road trip, but good grief, the man could read the phone book and I'd be satisfied.

Oh, and someone else mentioned Huck Finn. Wow, that was amazing. I think I need to hear that again soon; we listened a few years ago.

Have fun on the road trip!

... we just finished tonight listening to Alan Rickman read The Return of the Native. A little heavy for a road trip, but good grief, the man could read the phone book and I'd be satisfied.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I remember in Sense and Sensibility, that scene where he is reading to Kate Winslet.... man, I wished I was her right then!! :lol:

Our library system is great for audiobooks. Our favorites include Bronze Bow, Artemis Fowl, Little House on the Prairie, Voyages of Dr. Dolittle, and any Mark Twain or E. Nesbit books. I also really enjoy Kidnapped however DS thinks it is the worst punishment ever.