Menu

The disillusionment has set in...

I am a teacher by profession, I have a MA in curriculum development. When I taught school, I was a good teacher. The kids loved my science classes. I had so much fun this summer putting together cool hands-on units on the Vikings and nature walks, etc. etc. and this morning in the middle of science my first grade boy says, "Are we done yet?" And we "do" school, start to finish for about 1 1/2 hours a day, so it's not like I'm rambling on and on. I'm not devestated, but my rose colored glasses are gone, that's for sure. So much for eager little learners. He'd rather be building Lincoln log houses. Oh well, I guess that's learning, too.

Oh, I've BTDT! Don't get discouraged! Lincoln logs, Legos, building forts, ANY other "free range" activity has always seemed more appealing to my son, no matter how cool or interesting the lesson/book/hands-on craft -- and he's in 4th grade now and has always been homeschooled! I've just learned to not take it personally. I would say maybe to break up the work in smaller chunks of time...but only if it is not harder to haul him back from whatever else he's doing. Sometimes it was just easier to plow through, and then be able to say, "OK, now we're all done and the rest of the day is yours!" HTH!

But little kids are like that... would rather build stuff than do lessons. If that's his thing, perhaps you can work in more hands-on learning opportunities for him. Get away from the desk/table and do lessons wherever it suits him and you.

With my own son (now 10), I learned pretty quickly that the sit-down-nose-in-book stuff wasn't going to wash with him. So, he may sit at the table to do math, but lay on the floor to read, or spread papers all over the kitchen floor to do a history timeline or art project. That's okay. He learns well and with a good attitude. He'd be miserable if I insisted on doing it my way all the time.

One of the beauties of homeschooling is that you can adapt to your kids' learning styles and needs. That also happens to be one of the biggest challenges. It's one of those glass half-full or half-empty kind of things.

I am a teacher by profession, I have a MA in curriculum development. When I taught school, I was a good teacher. The kids loved my science classes. I had so much fun this summer putting together cool hands-on units on the Vikings and nature walks, etc. etc. and this morning in the middle of science my first grade boy says, "Are we done yet?" And we "do" school, start to finish for about 1 1/2 hours a day, so it's not like I'm rambling on and on. I'm not devestated, but my rose colored glasses are gone, that's for sure. So much for eager little learners. He'd rather be building Lincoln log houses. Oh well, I guess that's learning, too.

Well, truth be told, I don't know of all that many little *boys* that are super jazzed about any kind of schooling. :001_smile: I think most boys are wired that way though of course there are those that are not. I would give it time and enjoy the process of it--the being together and building relationship.

The teaching is really not the main part of why many of us homeschool. We want to be with our children and want to engage on many levels--education is only one part of it. Homeschooling as well as Lincoln logs - those are both good ways of doing it. One of the things I learned pretty early on is that homeschooling is not a destination but a journey and there is much to be learned by all parties along the way. :001_smile:

How old are your boys? The younger ones want to be Tarzan and Indiana Jones.... not students... no matter how fabulous you are!!!!!

If younger, break it up into segments. Do reading..... play.... do science.... play..... do XyZ and eat lunch. By you saying 1.5 hours per day, I am assuming elementary grades.

READ ALOUD often! Get them outside & gently guide what they see.... let them lead somewhat (less structured).

It will get better. Boys want to be boys!;)

BTW... some kids hate projects (my DH really did). Many look at them as a big waste of time and are a filler for public school classrooms (to show something is happening, etc). Some kids love them. You will find this out quickly. Your boys may not be project kids yet.... and I think boys tend to like useful projects like a fort or lean-to in the back yard, etc.

Edited by Dirtroad

Lol! Sorry, but I'm also in the education field, have homeschooled my daughter from the beginning, and I get this as well. I've felt the same as you: why every other child can enjoy my lessons (I tutor ps children now), but my own daughter doesn't? What am I doing wrong? The answer is, nothing.

There are naturally born "I love school regardless of where it is" children (I was one of those), and there are children who will not love school, regardless of where it is. Your son and my daughter fit that category. She's 4th grade now, and I still get this. She spent one month last year in public school, so knows what she's missing, and has no desire to go back, so...:confused:. I just keep on truckin'. Some lessons she'll like, some she won't. That's life, I guess.

Oh, and also remember, it *is* still summer :D.

Here's the thing. I have two boys, but the one I've homeschooled for 6 years now is in the process of becoming a young man. He may ask me when the lesson is going to be over, he may complain about having to do schoolwork, but he can hold his own in a discussion about the Roman Empire with a group of adults, he is interested in history, science, and geography, he has an incredible store of information in his head, and he has no qualms about reading classic literature. In short, he has turned into a bit of an intellectual. This is completely unlike most 13yo boys. And I attribute this solely to homeschooling.

Edited by EKS

Thank all of you for your posts. Today was day one of First grade and at the end of our lessons, I was just about ready to scream/cry/explode with frustration--I had to battle to get anything done. (a 5 minute copywork assignment took 20 min.!)

Sigh...where is my happy little homeschool family, eagerly joining me to have a wonderful day full of learning around the ole' family table???? :glare:

Well, illusions are fun while they last...

Our days are structured around making sure my son (6) has something to do with his hands while we learn.

At night when I read to him, he's standing on his head, playing with toys, and making noises as the ships shoot each other... or he builds complicated ancient temples out of legos. But he hears every word I say. :)

Today I was reading a history lesson (from SOTW) and he was wandering around the room. I didn't think he was listening, so I made him tell me what I just said... and he was 100% right. :D

He often does the coloring pages while I read. With other things, he'll use play dough, or build something while I talk. Science is *always* hands on as much as I can. In math, he plays with manipulatives while he learn.

He's just that kid of kid. :D It makes me kind of nuts, because I'm *not* that kind of person, but we're homeschooling for him, not for me. ;)

He sounds like little boys everywhere. You learn to take heart in little things - yesterday we read "Masada," a gripping (I thought) account of the Jewish revolt. They listened but squirmed, clearly not as "gripped" as I was.

By the time Dad had gotten home, they had used Legos to construct Masada, palaces, and a Roman battering tower. Stormtroopers did double duty as Roman soldiers, Emperor Palpatine's robes were the rabbi's robes They explained the whole story to Dad - quite well!

The lessons to be learned from your plans will indeed be learned - you might just need to watch for them in unexpected places.

Some parts of homeschooling are like brushing teeth - must be done regularly to see results, it only takes 5min, and some kids go about it like it's no big thing while others pitch a fit every.single.time... Still the teeth are brushed and we move on to bigger and better things.

A :grouphug: from another mom of the infamous "wiggly willy.":tongue_smilie::lol:

(Gently, and I only post this because I do care about your dc...)

Most of the homeschoolers I know who were in the teaching profession before they had children struggle with this. They are the most likely to set their homeschool up like "real school" and thus turn off their dc to learning. (There are non-teaching-degreed moms who do the same thing, as well.)

I know one family whose dc do not initiate learning on their own and require spoon-feeding and games to keep their interest. Another where the dc just fight schoolwork of any kind. Both of these are results of a mom using every bit of her teaching degree wtih her dc.

It can be hard to de-program yourself from the school mindset and focus on teaching within the context of family and home instead. This may not be the case in your home. It is an area for caution, though, I think. I have seen it over and over again, and it is starting to alarm me. Sometimes it's not the amount of work (I think 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day for first grade is about right,) but the way it is done.

First of all relax and... get used to it! :D

There will be days when you feel not only discouraged, but that you might be doing the wrong thing. Then there will be days when you have glorious glowing "AAAHHH! Now that's what HSing is all about!" and most of the days will be somewhere in the middle. Your kids will feel the same way. I don't think it can be measured in day by day increments, but as an overall long-term picture.

There are some days when I have struggled for almost an hour over one little thing... and I have since learned that when that appears to be starting, I ditch whatever we are doing and save it for another day. As I am NOT in a PS where I need to cover such and such by so and so a date... who cares!

You will both do great!

Lol! Sorry, but I'm also in the education field, have homeschooled my daughter from the beginning, and I get this as well. I've felt the same as you: why every other child can enjoy my lessons (I tutor ps children now), but my own daughter doesn't? What am I doing wrong? The answer is, nothing.

There are naturally born "I love school regardless of where it is" children (I was one of those), and there are children who will not love school, regardless of where it is. Your son and my daughter fit that category.

My kids are like your daughter and the OP's son...and I am like you! Actually, I didn't LOVE the social experience of school, as I was painfully shy as a child. But I loved all the learning, the projects, reports, all of the bookwork. It's taken some time to accept the fact that my boys just aren't wired the same, and it's NOT personal when they ask "Are we done yet?" Usually it turns out that they're daydreaming about something, like building a new Bionicle (7 y.o.) or practicing a new riff on the guitar (11 y.o.).

And hey, let's be honest--some days I'm also daydreaming of being finished so I can finally kick back with a cold drink and a magazine. :D