Menu

Grade one math ideas?

Guest Sharleen

Guest Sharleen

Hi, I am very new here as well as new to homeschooling.

I am trying to find a math curriculum that others have used and really enjoy working with their grade one children.

What would you stay away from and what do you really like?

Thank you for your help.

It depends on the child. Mine dislikes workbooks, but loves hands on stuff and 1 on 1 time, so Right Start is perfect for her. If I had a "just hand me the workbook and let me do it" kid, I'd go with Math Mammoth. MEP is also excellent and we may dabble with it later this year (it's free!) and we have Miquon for days we don't do RS.

Rod and Staff here. And you asked what would people stay away from too. Well, others will disagree, but for me it is Math U See. My brain does not work that way :) I had heard so many good things about it from people on boards years ago, when I was deciding on math. But when I looked at it at convention, I was lost.

I love the simple, no frills-ness :) of R&S. Good luck researching all of these suggestions you have gotten.

I think it depends on your teaching style, your child's learning style, and your goals.

I use Saxon because of the scripted teaching manual and because it's recommended by so many people (like SWB) whose opinions I trust.

My sil loves RightStart--her daughter is getting a lot out of it. I didn't want to have to re-learn math myself, so I chose something more comfortable for my own style.

Horizons and BJU come from Christian publishers. I've heard BJU is a nice alternative to Saxon (they teach in a similar way), and that Horizons is a little ahead, content-wise, but is another great option. On the downside, there have been some negative comments from folks lately about the Horizons Teacher's Manual not having enough help in it.

Rod and Staff is also recommended by many people--it's not colorful (neither is Saxon) and is mastery-based. It's very inexpensive and good about getting the basics really, really solid.

Singapore is recommended by Sonlight, a high endorsement, imo. I used the EarlyBird books without the TM and we enjoyed it for Kindergarten math, along with Saxon 1. Many people like the conceptual nature of the program, and some feel it needs more drill added to it.

Math-U-See is manipulative-based and is, truly, "math you see." There are dvds to help you teach and explain; I almost went with that, but again, I didn't want to learn myself how to teach something. (I think we should be open to learning things a new way if it's best for our kids--not wanting to do this is a failing of mine, I feel.)

There's a free program on the internet (you print it) called MEP. Some folks here rave about it.

There's also Miquon, a Cuisinaire rod-based program for early math. I hated rods in "teacher school," but that's because I was resistant to learning myself, as I've said.

See? :D The problem with asking what people like is that you really will get endorsements for every program. So, distill your goals, figure out your teaching style, and know your kids. THEN ask for advice, based on what you are looking for.

Happy Hunting!:D

We love McRuffy color math here. It's fun, colorful, and uses manipulatives. It's also scripted so if you need that it's there. At this point it only goes through 3rd grade, but Brian plans on getting 4th grade out sometime in the near future.

We've also tried Saxon which is ok, but not as fun as McRuffy IMO.

Singapore and Rightstart just didn't work for us, not our cup of tea I guess.

Huge Horizons fans here, too! It's been a fantastic program for us! :)

Since you are new to homeschooling you may want to research the difference in mastery math programs vs. spiral programs. Horizons is considered spiral. I taught ps for 7 years and had no idea how many different ways there were to teach math. Like others have said, it depends on your teaching style as well as your child's learning style. Some kids will do fine either way. For others not so.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Jennefer@SSA

If you read this thread, although not particular to math, you'll see where there is mention of a different math approach-- as well as my offer to share the Scope and Sequence checklist to use this method for PK-3rd grade. The checklist also includes mastery grade goals, games, activities with directions, and it's free! You don't need to buy anything. Let me know if you'd like it-- just PM me your email and I'll send it. I've had many requests and it seems to be well-liked!

I stick with the cheap stuff for lower grades math. *shrug* My current first grader is using a Spectrum math book, and internet printables if he needs more practice. Kumon and MCP are also good workbooks on the lower end of the cost spectrum. We add hands on wherever needed, Lego bricks being the favorite manipulative with my oldest three. :)

Dot just finished the 3rd lightunit of CLE 1st grade math (LINK) and the more we use it the more we like it.

It's simple and relatively uncluttered. It's green & white rather than black & white, so while it's technically not "in color", it doesn't have that blah feeling that comes from B&W materials OR the busyness that can sometimes invade color materials. The lessons themselves are both gentle and academically rigorous. There are usually about three pages per lesson, but there is a LOT of white space on each page, and if your child grasps the concepts you can always skip as much of the review as you deem necessary.

Dot loves doing math and typically does two or more lessons a day. We do cut out a lot of the extra review, but only because I know she knows her addition & subtraction facts to ten and see very little purpose in drilling her on them at this time.

CLE is economically smart - the 100 level is the 2nd most expensive, and that's only because of the extra things a first grader needs (counting book, calendar book, teaching clock, flashcards, etc.) The program doesn't use a lot of manipulatives, although there are a few things I've found helpful to have on hand (for example, a small whiteboard is VERY helpful.) Even with the extra stuff needed for first grade, you're still only going to spend about $70. For second grade, the price drops to about $50 because you already have the flashcards, etc. Third grade can either be able the same price as 2nd, or slightly more, and that really depends on how you choose to do the answer keys. I don't have my children score their own work, so I don't buy seperate answer keys until they are required starting in 4th grade (the teacher guides from grade 4 up do NOT contain the answers to the Lightunits.)

We're also using CLE fort Yacko (600) and Wacko (500). They're both doing very well with it, and I like that they have a VERY thorough grounding in math. there is no pre-algebra as such, it's built into the lessons from the 1st grade on through 8th grade.