Menu

Need book ideas: charming, innocent, sweet books for 7 yo boy...

My ds loved (and at 24yo still loves) The Mad Scientists' Club by Bertrand R. Brinley and Charles Geer.

I think there are three or four other Mad Scientists' Club books, but the first is the best.

I also highly recommend all of the Eddie books by Carolyn Haywood.

Robert Rows the River by Carolyn Haywood is also very good.

I know these have already been mentioned, but the Dimwood Forest books by Avi are great. (Ragweed, Poppy, Poppy and Rye, Ereth's Birthday, Poppy's Return, Poppy and Ereth) Poppy is Book 1, but Ragweed is a prequel, so you may want to start with that one.

Also, I second Andrew Clements books. Our favorites were Frindle, Lunch Money, The School Story, and No Talking.

We love Kate DiCamillo's books, too. The Tale of Despereaux, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (GREAT book!!!), Because of Winn-Dixie

What about the Ralph books by Beverly Cleary? Ralph S. Mouse, The Mouse and His Motorcycle, Runaway Ralph

Homer Price and Centerburg Tales by Robert McCloskey

My Father's Dragon, Elmer and the Dragon, and The Dragons of Blueland, by Ruth Stiles Gannet

We loved Everything on a Waffle, by Polly Horvath, but I can't remember if there might be anything objectionable in that one.

E.B. White's books: Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, Trumpet and the Swan

These are girly, but my girls loved the Betsy books, by Carolyn Haywood: B is for Betsy, Betsy and Billy, Back to School with Betsy, Betsy and Billy, etc...

Many of Clyde Robert Bulla's books are good. One of my girls is on the couch right now reading A Lion to Guard Us.

How about Encyclopedia Brown books???

The Trailblazer books by Dave and Neta Jackson???

The Boxcar Children

The Railway Children

Don't forget after Sarah Plain and Tall and Skylark, there's also Caleb's Story and More Perfect than the Moon.

I like to use the Sonlight catalog as a book list, too:

The Family Under the Bridge

The Light at Tern Rock

Twenty and Ten

The Grandma's Attic series

Justin Morgan Had a Horse

Detectives in Togas

Follow My Leader

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The Year of Miss Agnes

The Door in the Wall

The Whipping Boy

The Matchlock Gun

The Courage of Sarah Noble

The Bears on Hemlock Mountain

The Cabin Faced West

All-of-a-Kind Family (and sequels)

Thimble Summer

.... I could go on and on about books, LOL :D

Edited by hsmom3tn

I haven't read all the replies, so sorry for the possible duplicate. We loved Andy Buckram's Tin Men by Carol Ryrie Brink, as well as all the Big Red series dog books by Jim Kjelgaard (pretty sure I spelled that wrong!). These are all oldies but goodies, tailor-made for boys.

Has anyone mentioned Ralph Moody books yet? I woke up remembering a series my oldest son loved when he was small called Little Britches. There are other books by the same author as well. Sea-biscuit is another, I believe.

Yes, here:

http://www.tomfolio.com/authorinfo/authors/RalphMoody.asp

Edited by LibraryLover

The Phantom TollBooth by Norton Juster

We borrowed it from the library yesterday and he read it all day and half the night. My ds will be done with it by tonight, lol.

It's a really good book, enjoyable for parents as a read aloud too, there's a ton of plays on words.

Most of what dd enjoyed has already been mentioned. She is also a sensitive 7yo. Here are a few ideas I haven't seen mentioned (although I may have missed them).

Gone-Away Lake and Return to Gone-Away

The Dragonling series. I only preread the first of this series but dd read all of them. She didn't mention anything inappropriate.

I didn't read The Phantom Tollbooth until I was adult and really enjoyed it. I bet he is ready for that one. Must pull it off the shelf...

That's one of the few books I've read where I really wish I could memorize at least half of it, so I could quote it later.

This is the first time I've read it and dh has even hung around to listen :)

Most of what dd enjoyed has already been mentioned. She is also a sensitive 7yo. Here are a few ideas I haven't seen mentioned (although I may have missed them).

The Dragonling series. I only preread the first of this series but dd read all of them. She didn't mention anything inappropriate.

I love these--and reread them every year or two. :)

We LOVE the Dragonling books! My highly sensitive children were all about that series. (The children do disobey ther parents, however. My recollection is that they sneak out at night etc).

:D Caitlain! Are you my sister?! :lol:

We must be sisters under the skin! :) It's nice to find others who share your tastes isn't it? BTW, Gone-away Lake seems like the perfect testimonial for free-ranging your kids--things influenced me that I hadn't realized. :)

Understood Betsy informed my views on childrearing too--have you read that one?

I have a couple precocious readers myself. I find that they even exasperate me with all of the reading. Then I will catch someone else watching them or overhear a comment about how they wish they could get their own kids to read for fun and I realize how fortunate I am in my problems.

I would go after older books, which hopefully your library still has or has access to. They are both longer and less edgy.

The Wizard of Oz and all its sequals by Baum and others. There are 15 books by Baum and then other sequals by some other authors.

The Black Stallion and sequals by Walter Farley. While this is a horse series, the main character is a boy.

Other horse and animal books by Margarite Henry. Misty of Chincoteague is one (with two sequals). But you also have King of the Wind, Black Gold, Justin Morgan Had a Horse and others.

The Rescuers series by Margary Sharp (not much like the movies. But be aware that Sharp also wrote adult books) The second in the series is The Turret. Most of the rest are Miss Bianca and (something)

Basil of Baker Street (the basis for The Great Mouse Detective). Another small series.

The Hardy Boys, especially if you can get some of the older books. You might even ask around your family. My MIL had a huge collection of Nancy Drew from the 50s when she and her sister were in a mail order book club that she pulls out when my kids visit.

We Were There series. These are a bit like a Landmark biography and were also part of a book club in the 50s. They follow a couple kids who are involved in some historic event. For example, a boy and his sister who live on the Navy base overlooking Pearl Harbor and who end up helping rescue survivors. The stories are fictional, but well based in fact.

Good luck.