Menu

SOTW 1 Activity Book: student pages--I had no idea...

My SOTW 1 Activity book came today. I had no idea that there were 125 student pages in it. Dh agrees we'd better buy the separate student pages. I had planned on scanning them and printing at home, but we'd probably spend the $10 in ink and kill the scanner. :glare:

I had the binding cut off my book and had the Teacher's Manual spiral bound. Then I hole punched the student pages and placed them in the 3 ring binder. Every couple of weeks, I'd look at the pages and decide which ones we were going to use and I took them to be copied. Now I have a B/W laser copier/printer and just copy at home. Like another poster said, there were several that we didn't use at all, and I'm glad I didn't have to throw extra copies of those away.

I had the binding cut off my book and had the Teacher's Manual spiral bound. Then I hole punched the student pages and placed them in the 3 ring binder. Every couple of weeks, I'd look at the pages and decide which ones we were going to use and I took them to be copied. Now I have a B/W laser copier/printer and just copy at home. Like another poster said, there were several that we didn't use at all, and I'm glad I didn't have to throw extra copies of those away.

I've been considering this as well.

How and where do you have that done? How much does it cost to have the binding cut off?

I had the binder cut off my activity book at Office Depot for $1. I actually split the book in two first. The student activity pages are perforated, so I tore those out myself while the first half of the book was getting the binder portion cut off. (The book in its original form was too wide to fit into the cutter at Office Depot. The employee was concerned that the cut would start to "slip" and I'd end up with very uneven pages if we tried to jam the whole book into the machine).

After the pages were cut off, I also had the pages 3-hole punched. Last year, I had copies made and each spiral bound in order to make up two activity books. However, we did not use many of the pages, so that was a waste. This year I will be copying the pages as needed (map pages particularly). After we complete an activity page, the page will be placed in the History portion of our main binders.

Hope that helps!

I've been considering this as well.

How and where do you have that done? How much does it cost to have the binding cut off?

I prefer Kinkos or a local copy shop over Staples. I've never had it done at Office Max or Office Depot. Staples did an okay job, but they just didn't look as good as the books I've had done at Kinkos or the local copy shop.

It costs about $1 to get the spine cut off, and then around $2.50-$3 to get it spiral bound.

I was just having the same debate over vol. 3 pages...

This is what I figured out - maybe it will be helpful. I changed the numbers to fit the 125 pages of Vol. 1.

Without shipping, the extra pages are $11.95. There are 125 pages. That's about 10 cents per page (rounding up from .096).

My Staples and Kinkos both charge 5 cents per page.

My printer/copier costs me 3 cents per page (Sharp AL-1641CS) and I'm guessing most people end up paying about this. We use recycled paper, which is a bit more so maybe with std. paper it's 2 cents. With pre-punched paper it was 4 cents. Still less. And since I don't copy every single page (as a previous poster noted) I am saving even more. I probably only copy about 1/2 to 2/3 of the student pages...

This doesn't include shipping or tax, but it gives a good enough idea. I decided that it was worth the savings to make the copies myself as annoying as I find it. It really doesn't take me as long as I feel it does. It's just boring busy work.

HTH!!

I took my A.G. to Kinkos and had them cut off the binding for $1.50. Then I had them copy the entire student pages for me and 3 hole punch them. The grand total for all of this was less than $7. This was cheaper than buying the student pages and way less than copying myself at home. We both have a 3 ring binder, me of the original, and her of her copies, that I can make new copies from if need be for the future.

I didn't read everyone's, so if this was already suggested, I apologize.

I'm intrigued -why 20 copies??

Well, sometimes he might just want 2 or 3 copies. I just remember he was really into the picture of the grecian urn and made about 20 different decorated grecian urns. Some images he just really liked and wanted to try using multiple ways.

(Plus, I made a few pages for my 3 year old, because she wants to feel like she's "doing school" too.)

I just took my book apart myself this morning before finding this post. The teacher guide portion came out very easily doing a handful of pages at a time. I just carefully pulled them off the binding since they are only gummed in. I hole punched them and put them in a three ring binder and then tore out all the perforated student pages and did the same. Then I just cut off the front and back covers, hole punched those and put them in. No cost involved. Now I can copy the ones I need easily since I have kids using SOTW with Cores 1 and 6. I was really surprised how easy it was. I will do the same with the AG for SOTW 2 once I get it.:001_smile:

I copy mine at home to. I really think it's cheaper then buying the extra work pages. Especially having them shipped to Canada.

My one problem....I HATE cutting up books. :lol: It's sooo hard for me to cut apart books, even if I'm putting them into binders etc. But it's hard to photocopy the pages in the original book. I know, I need to get over that. :tongue_smilie:

I took my A.G. to Kinkos and had them cut off the binding for $1.50. Then I had them copy the entire student pages for me and 3 hole punch them. The grand total for all of this was less than $7.

This is the price I just paid at Kinko's.

And you know, you could just use the student pages. There'd be some risk that you'd need one for a re-do and wouldn't have it, but you could just use them & wing it. Sometimes you can find a similar map or activity online if you need another.

Julie

Thanks for all the advice! Here's what I did:

I pulled out the pages from the first half of the book--the teacher section. It was going great and I was on a roll and probably going a little too quickly when I tore some pages as I pulled them out. Not too bad--maybe a 1" tear going diagonally down. Slowed down and the rest came out ok.

I used scissors to trim the edges. I just cut off a tiny, tiny strip. Then I tore out the perforated student pages and 3 hole punched them. Next I pulled off the glue from the cover where the pages had been attached. I used scissors to cut the front and back covers away from the spine. I put the student pages in a 3 ring binder and slid the spine into the spine pocket on the 3 hole binder. I put the cover page for the student pages in the front outside pocket of the binder.

I took the teacher section and the front and back cover to Office Depot to have spiral bound. It was $3.19, and I got a 15% teacher discount (had to fill out a name/address/email form to get a "Star Teacher" card).

:iagree: This is exactly what I did. It cost me $4 per book at Kinkos.