Menu

State Farm may be denying our "good student" discount because we homeschool!

I am a bit irate right now and am just looking for fellow homeschooler advice. We have had our insurance with State Farm for over 25 years since we both individually were insured through them before we were even married. We went to add our oldest dd to our insurance policy and expected to get the Good Student discount. We have a nice "professional" looking transcript as well as a copy of her ACT score of 30. I just got a call from our agent's office and was told that the company wants her transcript signed by an outside"counselor". They even asked if the people who administered here ACT would sign her transcript! (So little understanding!) I explained to them that to say that is to totally not understand what homeschooling actually is! I also said that if she got an 18 on her ACT I could understand them questioning this but for pete's sake, you don't get a 30 by making F's. (OK I know it's possible, but not likely!)

I guess this is the first time that I have had to fight a homeschooling battle (thank you to all those early homeschoolers who made the road easy for me in so many ways by the battles that they fought!) I have made it clear that if State Farm as a company refuses to give the same rights and benefits to the homeschooling community as kids who go to public school that we will be leaving State Farm and this won't be the last they will hear from homeschoolers.

Gosh this makes me mad.

All you need is the ACT according to the state farm website. I don't know where your agent got his information:

Students who are enrolled in a home study program may qualify if they satisfy the scholastic requirement by submitting evidence that they ranked in the upper 20% on one of the following national standardized tests, administered within the last 12 months:

PSAT

PLAN

SAT-1

ACT

TAP

California Achievement Test

We have been frustrated over this for 7 years and one of my best friends is a State Farm agent. She talked to the company and they just smile and nod. They just don't get it and there isn't anything you can do about it. It isn't worth changing insurance over, for us, so we just try to forget about it because it is so frustrating. Honestly, have they seen the drivers at the highschool? Just because they get good grades does not make them a good driver. Plus they have to navigate all of the other highschool kids everyday. And homeschool kids, who um, by definition, do not drive to school? Typically don't party, drink & drive, etc. Seems like a no brainer where the bigger risk is. But, just like the college my daughter went to who couldn't process her application without a "diploma", a literal piece of paper, State Farm cannot think outside the box. The rules say they must have a piece of paper with grades from a third party so that is what has to happen. :rant: If enough homeschool parents wrote and complained they might consider changing the policy somehow, but I doubt there are enough of us to make it worth their time and money.

There is another discount, if your agent offers it, where they read a book and watch a movie about safe driving and then go in and talk to the agent and sign a pledge - Steer Clear.

All you need is the ACT according to the state farm website. I don't know where your agent got his information:

Students who are enrolled in a home study program may qualify if they satisfy the scholastic requirement by submitting evidence that they ranked in the upper 20% on one of the following national standardized tests, administered within the last 12 months:

PSAT

PLAN

SAT-1

ACT

TAP

Looks like someone has already fought your battle. You just need to educate your local state farm office with this info.

Paula

We were told that one of our dds wasn't qualified for the discount, but had no trouble when we changed agents. I also wrote a letter to State Farm, explaining how disappointed I was in the first agent's lack of knowledge of the company's policies -- the agent still looks away when we encounter each other in the grocery store. :tongue_smilie:

Sandy

If you've had a policy for 25 years, I would take the info listed here and fight it. Your stability and loyalty with the company should be more than adequate to get you further up the food chain.

You could ask to speak to someone in their regional underwriting/rating department and be armed with the information from their website.

Ask them to read the section in the policy hand book to you that specifically relates to homeschooling/home learning/home educating is not eligible for the discount. I just called my agent, the receptionist looked in her book and read the same passage to me that others have quoted. It took her all of 15 seconds to find it :0). I suspect your agent was just misinformed and if you ask for them to find the passage, they will discover that the test result provided is sufficient. If there is any problem, let me know and I will call the receptionist back and get a specific rule number for your agent to be referred to.

My guess is that it is an honest mistake in their knowledge, and they just need to review the policy. Rules change on my job all the time , so I am all to familiar with being told one thing by corporate, and find another thing in our policy hand book.

I was just coming on to tell you this same thing... I was just on their web site last night (almost have a new driver here) and a transcript is not required, just standardized test scores. I would ask them if the ACT scores are enough, or if they prefer that you take your business elsewhere...

PSAT

PLAN

SAT-1

ACT

TAP

We're with State Farm, and they gave my ds the good student discount with nothing more than our home-made transcript. There was no SAT or ACT or any outside documentation. Just a transcript signed by me and dh.

It must be this individual agent. You could contact another agent's office and ask them (without telling them your background with this agent) what documentation they require, or you could simply call this agent back and let them know that State Farm agencies DO accept a homeschool transcript, and you see no reason why they shouldn't.

Believe me, they do not want to lose your business.

I am a bit irate right now and am just looking for fellow homeschooler advice. We have had our insurance with State Farm for over 25 years since we both individually were insured through them before we were even married. We went to add our oldest dd to our insurance policy and expected to get the Good Student discount. We have a nice "professional" looking transcript as well as a copy of her ACT score of 30. I just got a call from our agent's office and was told that the company wants her transcript signed by an outside"counselor". They even asked if the people who administered here ACT would sign her transcript! (So little understanding!) I explained to them that to say that is to totally not understand what homeschooling actually is! I also said that if she got an 18 on her ACT I could understand them questioning this but for pete's sake, you don't get a 30 by making F's. (OK I know it's possible, but not likely!)

I guess this is the first time that I have had to fight a homeschooling battle (thank you to all those early homeschoolers who made the road easy for me in so many ways by the battles that they fought!) I have made it clear that if State Farm as a company refuses to give the same rights and benefits to the homeschooling community as kids who go to public school that we will be leaving State Farm and this won't be the last they will hear from homeschoolers.

Gosh this makes me mad.

We have State Farm and homeschooled high school. We got the discount AND credit for driver's ed since I told him I taught her driver's ed. He didn't require any proof. He said, "I believe you." No problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank those of you who gave me the "tools" to fight this battle. I printed out the info from the website and went into the office. The assistants in the office are actually extremely friendly and customer service oriented. I asked the lady who had told her that a transcript signed by a counselor would be needed. She told me that it was someone in underwriting. I asked if I could talk to that person directly. She was obviously nervous about that as I'm sure "underwriting" sits in a cubicle in the home office and doesn't deal with customers. In the end, I spent about 15 minutes making my point about homeschooling and educating her and the agent about how things work. However, they were very apologetic and I wanted to do it in a way that left a positive feeling about homeschooling with them, not a negative one. Frankly, I was in the mood to fight a battle but my demeanor was obviously going to have a big impression on them so I didn't want to ruin it for other homeschoolers. I told them that they will surely be faced with this question again in the future and I'm glad everyone in this office now knows. Oh and I did check with Geico as I would have definitely left State Farm over this issue but they could not match my State Farm rates due to the longevity and multiple discounts we have with State Farm. Without the info that I got here from this site it would have been a much longer and harder battle. Thank you!

We have our auto insurance through Farmers, and never had any problem with the good student discount. In fact, if I recall, there's a spot on the form giving the requirements for homeschoolers. You have to provide your standardized test scores. I guess if you didn't test, then there would be a problem. I would go up the ladder.

Janet

Just wanted to thank those of you who gave me the "tools" to fight this battle. I printed out the info from the website and went into the office. The assistants in the office are actually extremely friendly and customer service oriented. I asked the lady who had told her that a transcript signed by a counselor would be needed. She told me that it was someone in underwriting. I asked if I could talk to that person directly. She was obviously nervous about that as I'm sure "underwriting" sits in a cubicle in the home office and doesn't deal with customers. In the end, I spent about 15 minutes making my point about homeschooling and educating her and the agent about how things work. However, they were very apologetic and I wanted to do it in a way that left a positive feeling about homeschooling with them, not a negative one. Frankly, I was in the mood to fight a battle but my demeanor was obviously going to have a big impression on them so I didn't want to ruin it for other homeschoolers. I told them that they will surely be faced with this question again in the future and I'm glad everyone in this office now knows. Oh and I did check with Geico as I would have definitely left State Farm over this issue but they could not match my State Farm rates due to the longevity and multiple discounts we have with State Farm. Without the info that I got here from this site it would have been a much longer and harder battle. Thank you!

Awesome!! You did great, and I'm glad that you blazed the trail for future homeschoolers who have to deal with that particular agent's office.

WAY TO GO! :patriot:

We also use State Farm insurance but the good news is that our agent has 2 little girls and his wife has been homeschooling them now for a couple of years. They are younger than my dds. So it could be awhile, but he is one agent who will help the cause. Not in time you, unfortunately.