Menu

New here , when are you starting school this

We don't usually have an official start date and go all year, but this year we do. Aug 17. My dc are starting to really want their summers off, so I'm going to use this to my advantage so that I can have them off, too. Next year I hope to just have them do some math and reading, or doing some cool learning things we can't get to during the school year.

I usually don't start till after my son's birthday on September 7th. This year we are going to Great Wolf Lodge for his birthday so we will probably start the week after.

We are going to be gone for 2 (possible 3) weeks in late December, early January so I really need to keep my focus so we don't start out the year behind.

My kids are getting too old to have them happy about doing "weekend school".

We start 8/10, Lord willing!

Of course, I'm headed to Indiana next week to visit family, and my grandmother's pretty sick, so it's all subject to change. I'm going to try to bring some stuff with me to do a little prep on my "down" moments. (ha!)

I'm also toying with 6 weeks on, one week off concepts. Not sure how it would work.

The other nice thing about starting the 10th - it gives me a full 3 weeks of school before we have activities in the afternoons!

We'll start 8/24 as well. The ps here starts on the 19th so my kids think they're getting a treat by having a few extra "no school" days than their friends. I haven't yet broken the news that we'll be finishing about a week after their neighborhood buddies in the spring. This is the first year that we'll be completely unconnected to the public schools (ds has been receiving spec ed services there but was retested in the spring and no longer qualifies (yay)). I decided that since I have (at least some) control of my own destiny for a while we're going to have all 5-day school weeks this year so I don't have to do four days this week and 3 next week to accommodate the odd teacher development day and so forth. So I've plowed over those and added a couple of days at the beginning of Christmas break and spring break and whatnot so that they'll mostly be out of school the same days as their friends except for a few here and there. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

DS, senior, has gone to school all summer--2 computer programming courses and driver's ed. I could NOT believe all that was required for his driver's ed class--unbelieveable amount of work. He's already started reading his Am Gov't, and Physics textbooks and reading books on his Am Lit reading list. We'll kick it into high-gear in another week, on the 17th. He has a lot on his plate this year....

DS, 8th grader, will start officially on the 24th when our local schools start. We'll go out to breakfast at the diner in town and talk about our upcoming school year, or rather the boys will talk about Halo :lol:

I'm excited about this coming school year. The previous four were really tough on me --- my father had cancer & I was often away helping him and then I was executor of his estate, talk about taking ones energy and time -- this spring and summer I've had time to think about this coming year and prepare rather than just react, KWIM.

Carole

We will be starting September 14th. Here is our schedule:

Teaching Days: Mon - Thurs. (Friday's are study hall/make up days for things they didn't finish throughout the week, often leaving Friday's pretty open)

Sept 14 - Oct. 23 (6 weeks)

1 week off

Nov. 2 - Nov. 20 (3 weeks)

1 week off

Nov. 30 - Dec. 18 (3 weeks)

2 weeks off

Jan. 4 - Feb. 12 (6 weeks)

1 week off

Feb. 22 - Apr. 2 (6 weeks)

1 week off

Apr. 12 - May 21 (6 weeks)

2 weeks off

Jun. 7 - Jun. 25 (3 weeks)

3 weeks off

Jul. 19 - Aug. 6 (3 weeks)

5 weeks off

Hi there,

Usually we start with the local city college system, to keep everyone on the same schedule. We do dual enrollment for high school; that starts Monday, the 24th. But this year our youngest dd, broke her foot at the beginning of June and just yesterday got cleared for careful activity. She was not happy to start school in two weeks when her brother does so we talked about it and decided to start October 1st. I will still start with our high schooler but she will be free to do her own thing until October. Knowing she had freedom, caused her to make up a schedule of all of her days. We have always taken the entire month of December off to bake, shop, decorate, visit, and not stress out. We are still taking off but will have a more limited Easter break and finish at the end of June. Blessings as you get ready for the new year!!

Edited by CherylG