Menu

Need advice about pet sitters---- share your experiences.

We've decided, rather last-minute, to take a trip to the maritime provinces at the end of August. Usually, our family trips are to major dog shows around the country, so this isn't an issue. We just ask a local kid to check on the cats and collect the few eggs our hens lay. This time, we'd like to leave the dogs behind. It's hard to sightsee with big hairy dogs, and we do not leave our dogs in the car, even with it locked and the AC running.

I'm considering using a pet sitter. I've never used one before, but figure if I kennel the dogs (which I HATE to do!) that would still leave the three cats and the hens. I'm wondering how the cost of a pet sitter would compare to that of kenneling two dogs, plus paying a kid to look in on the cats and hens.

Those of you who have used both, what is your preference? What should I look for in a pet sitter? And how much should I expect to pay? Were you pleased with the decision you made?

Thanks so much!

Astrid

I AM a pet sitter!

It's expensive around here. If you use a service here in NoVa, you can expect to pay thru the nose, and the pet sitter (if an independent contractor who works with the company, but not for the company, iykwim) will only get about 50-60% of what you pay. I just sat for two cats and a fish (fish was FOC) and the owner paid $22 a day for one 30 minute visit a day, which included feeding, watering, scooping the box, bringing in the paper and the mail, and setting out the garbage for collection one day. If someone stays overnight in the house, it's $65. If more walks or visits are needed, walks are $17 each for one dog, or around $22 for two dogs. The perks for using a service are that they will have a back-up if the pet sitter can't come for some reason, they will (usually) screen the person and do some sort of reference check or even a backround check, and you will have a legal contract.

OTOH, if you have a pet sitter who does not offer you a contract, you have to screen carefully, and you have to spell out EXACTLY what you need/want (do this regardless). Have them come over to meet your critters, do a show and tell about food, where to dispose of cat waste, preferences ("This cat will schmooze you, this one you won't see at all because he'll be hiding..."), etc. Leave several contact numbers, leave a key or a garage door opener, and also leave a key with someone else in case they misplace your key. Make sure they know where your mailbox is, if your mail is to be taken in. Make sure they know your vet's number and what circumstances you would want them to contact you about--don't just tell them to take your critter to the vet if there's a problem!

Good luck!

I have to say, for the cats, I'd feel fine with a pet sitter and people coming over. I actually think I'd prefer a dog run for my dogs...at the kennel. Start looking straight away so you can go check them out. I'm SO glad that I did, when we left ours. I got a recommendation for a couple of kennels and made a reservation, and then went out to visit...just to see it.

When I went out, it was loud, I was just overwhelmed with "get me out of here". I went out almost crying!! The second place also trains dogs, and has dog runs so they can go out an in at will. It's still loud, but I have to say that my dog loved it. I paid about $5 a day extra to have him played with/walked. (So, it ended up less expensive than the other spot...for a total of only $18 a day)

Even though he's inside all the time here, it was fine. I did have to run to the vet's for the bordicella?? vaccine. (kennel cough)

I felt safe knowing that no matter what, my dog had a "safe" place to stay. He had fun running back and forth with the other dogs, and I had them give him a bath on the last day before I picked him up. He actually spent over 2 weeks (about a week at a time) during one month! They say that it's best to leave them every once in a while starting while they're young. I was a bit worried because i had gotten him a few months before at the Humane Society and I didn't want him to have a problem thinking that I was leaving him...but...no problems:-)

If I had more money...I would have liked to have them train him to stay off counters...Now, that would have made it PERFECT!! (He's tall and just sticks his nose up:-)

Carrie:-)

Where in CT are you? My sister is in the NE corner and just found a great pet sitter for her cats and hens. I may use her as well when we go to DC in the fall-- if she comes this far south (I'm in the SE corner). I have a dog, cats, turtles and hens. She does it all! I think she charges 17 bucks per visit, but I can double check with my sister.

Where in CT are you? My sister is in the NE corner and just found a great pet sitter for her cats and hens. I may use her as well when we go to DC in the fall-- if she comes this far south (I'm in the SE corner). I have a dog, cats, turtles and hens. She does it all! I think she charges 17 bucks per visit, but I can double check with my sister.

Ah....I'm in the Northwest Corner! Litchfield County! I'm sure it's too far...she sounds wonderful though. Thanks for trying!

As an aside, isn't this sudden burst of sunshiney weather GLORIOUS?! We are SO due for some nice weather!

Astrid

Do you mean a pet sitter who will visit with the dogs and then leave?

That I would not do. I did that several times and one of my dogs decided to eat his way out of the house (or attempt to).

When I lived in NYC I had two dogs and my dog sitter would come during the day to walk my furry kids and would sleep over at night. It worked out great!

Ah....I'm in the Northwest Corner! Litchfield County! I'm sure it's too far...she sounds wonderful though. Thanks for trying!

Aw, too bad. If I hear of anything near your neck of the woods though, I'll let you know. BTW, we got our Australian Shepherd from Stormidge Aussies in Litchfield... such a beautiful part of the state!

As an aside, isn't this sudden burst of sunshiney weather GLORIOUS?! We are SO due for some nice weather!
No kidding! It finally, FINALLY feels like summer! :party:

We've done both, and I really think it depends on what your local kennels are like vs. what your local pet sitters are like. I will kennel my dog at the vets - they know him, his history, and he seems to do pretty well there. I couldn't get in to them one time though, and tried another kennel that was highly recommended by several people. What a disaster! They sent back with him his urine soaked bed, he had lost weight, and he was sick. Never again will I send him anywhere but the vets.

We started with a pet sitter last year. She's fabulous! We pay to have her out twice a day ($40/day). She scoops the cat's boxes, feeds and waters them according to the schedule we have. She walks the dog both times, plays with him a bit, and feeds and waters him. She will also check the mail, take out trash and recyclables, and water any house plants if needed (not gardens though). The visits are supposed to be 30 min. but she usually stays longer. We also get a write up left for us after her last scheduled visit about how the animals were.

The pet sitter is expensive, but worth it if we are leaving for longer than the cats can stay alone. To board three cats and a dog at the vets is $72/day. Our pet sitter will also take care of farm animals, so chances are you could find someone to do all the chores you needed.

We've done both. At this house I prefer to take my dog to the kennel, in fact we just picked her up today from a long weekend trip. This place is wonderful. it's out in the country, they have huge outdoor runs and it's like her own little vacation, she is seldom around too many other dogs.

Today she is so worn out she has slept since we got home, she's a lab, so it takes a lot to wear her out.

I would tour any facility you pick, read reviews, even ask for references. Ask about hours and weekend pickups, some kennels are closed on Sundays. Since you have large breed dogs make sure you ask how they deal with them for feeding and what type of blankets they use. Make sure you feel comfortable and go with your gut.

For pet sitters we've always went off referrals and did a pre visit to make sure we were comfortable. Also we chose an individual so we knew we had the same sitter each time.

Where we live the costs are about the same. I was just thinking this morning how grateful I am we have a good kennel near us. I hate worrying about my dog when we are supposed to be on vacation.

She came highly recommended from someone else I knew who had used her. She does this professionally and had a contract - it covered both what I expected to be done and what she should do in case of emergencies - her end was mostly how she expected to be paid. She charges $40/day - which is steep, but it would cost a lot more to kennel two dogs and still have someone come to the house to take care of my cats.

In the past I have used college students, and have paid them $30/day and left them some food. Unfortunately I have a very shy dog who chewed through the fence in a panic when we left - so this time I decided to try a professional.

We used a kennel last year and really liked it. The down side was the expense, $30 per day.

This year we left our dog with a family who loves dogs. It worked out great and was more affordable - $10 per day. I found them through our hs group.

What I've learned the hard way: never, ever pay up front. One woman took advantage and didn't do her job. Thank god we were only gone a short time.

Get references from vet hospitals and check references.

Have neighbors and friends follow up to make sure the person is doing what they said they'd do. At least in the beginning. Otherwise how do you know.

Ask if the petsitter has a marked car saying something like "English Pet Nanny" and tell her/him NOT to park in front of your house while working -- the car signals to everyone (including robbers) that you're not home for some time. Irritates me that the petsitters need this explained, but my neighbor's sitter was continually parking in the driveway before I told them.

I also ask my sitter to call me each day and let me know how it's going.

I got a vibe that a sitter I'd hired wasn't doing what I'd ask (feeding at off hours etc.). I got rid of her and she was good in many ways. But I figure if you can't respect me enough to follow my directions -- which are way simple and straightforward -- forget it.

Good luck,

Alley

We have a sitter that we adore! I have posted about her before. She stays in our home, brushes the dogs (if they let her,) lets them (yes, all four) sleep in the bed with her, and even brings them special treats. Before she stays with your pets, she comes over for a brief visit so that the dogs can interview her. No kidding. It makes me feel better to know that my dogs aren't alone all night, and neither is my house. Not that we're in a high crime area, but you can't be too careful! And the dogs love her.

Ask friends and local vets for references. And when you find someone you think will work, call them ASAP. Our sitter is so popular around here that she books 6-12 months in advance!

-Robin

I used to have a college student that would come over and stay when we were away. We only paid $20/day, but also provided a full fridge :). She would house and pet sit and it was great. Of course she grew up and got a life :lol:

Right now we use a nearby kennel that I love. The owner/operator is fabulous, the kennels are comfortable and she spends all day and part of the evening there with the dogs. She takes each one out twice a day for play time. When I had two they stayed in a larger room and had playtime together. I had to look at a lot of kennels to find one I liked. I got references, toured by appointment and "dropped by". It is wonderful to find a place that you really feel like you can trust where your pets are safe though.

I would not just have someone come by and feed and check on dogs. They need more attention and exercise than that. They can do a lot of damage and get themselves into some bad situations being alone that long.