Menu

It's only been five days since I've been "assimilated" and I am on cloud nine! I can't believe how much everything finally makes SENSE now when I read the Bible!!!! I can really see how my Armenian way of looking at things in the past contributed toward my unstable, fear-based way of living. It's like I finally have a FOUNDATION in Christ! I understand now what a BIG God we have! Finally understanding His absolute sovereignty in ALL things just gives me so much peace and security and JOY! I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. I just had to let it all out and I know you understand!!!!! :001_smile::001_smile:

It's only been five days since I've been "assimilated" and I am on cloud nine! I can't believe how much everything finally makes SENSE now when I read the Bible!!!! I can really see how my Armenian way of looking at things in the past contributed toward my unstable, fear-based way of living. It's like I finally have a FOUNDATION in Christ! I understand now what a BIG God we have! Finally understanding his absolute sovereignty in ALL things just gives me so much peace and security and JOY! I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. I just had to let it all out and I know you understand!!!!! :001_smile::001_smile:

It really all clicks, doesn't it? I felt the same exact way when I was "assimilated."

:grouphug:

It's amazing isn't it? And more than ever I see how alive scripture (Hebrews 4:12) is and how big our God is. I know exactly the peace and security you feel. I always joke that while I have been a Christian most of my life I was really born again when I "crossed over to the dark side" :).

Life is an adventure and our Christian walk definitely is as well.

Years ago now my husband set down with me and patiently explained to me the Doctrines of Grace. I couldn't believe that all the questions I had for so long finally had reasonable answers. I know how you feel! Keep reading, keep studying and Keep praising our wonderful God.

I was totally lost until I read this and we are believers of the Doctrines of Grace! LOL It really does answer SO many things and relieves us of so many insecurities...I used to worry that if I died a second after saying/thinking something sinful I would go to hell even though I was Christian, like you have to have a clean slate or something. That fear and many others have been taken away after meeting my husband and learning of what you have refered to as "the dark side"....lol....I'm going to have to read and see where that name came from.

This is really kind of funny, because that's how I felt, too. I was born and raised in an Evangelical church, normal Christian upbringing, but lived a very frustrated Christian life because... well, becuase God wasn't doing things the way I wanted Him to do. But, I was very proud of my spirituality, too. Strange mix. Anyhow, I wasn't going to a Reformed church at the time, but our pastor seemed to be having some Reformed epiphanies himself, and started a sermon series called "What Must I do to Be Saved?". I knew nothing about Calvinism, but when he got to the 2nd chapter in Romans about "no one seeks God", I swear I got hit in the head by a 2 x 4 and like has been mentioned previously, everything fell into place. Everything made sense. I did feel like I got saved that day because that was when I truly understood my Salvation.

Wow, I guess I'm on the verge of being a dark sider! For the first time, I have been reading the Bible chronologically without any other input and I have seen the plan of God worked out through the OT and NT. I've come to the conclusion, on my own through just reading and praying through the Word, that God does have a plan and He doles out Grace when He chooses and condemns when He chooses. I'm still not sure where evangelism comes into play(aren't there Reformed missionaries)? Would this just call to attention those "chosen" to acknowledge Him? The rest will just ignore the message? Also, if one believed in pre condemnation- well, that would explain a lot of the immoral behavior in our world--they were just born that way and I wouldn't need to worry about that. Seems harsh, I guess. I need to wrap my mind around it all a bit more. One thing I can say is that I became a Christian at age 8 and fell away for a long time. I was in so deep that it is a miracle that I am where I am today--is this that irresistable Grace? If we are chosen, even if we fall away at some point in our lives--we will always come back because it's God's plan for us? Is there false salvation(someone thinks they are saved, but are not?!) Does this view believe in loss of salvation? Like I know people that accepted Christ but in no way live a life that glorifies God and they no longer acknowledge Him. Does anyone have a single, specific, easy to understand book that might help this southern Baptist girl understand more? Hmm..if I embrace this thought--which I kind of already do--does that mean I'm attending the wrong church!? Sorry, so many questions.

Shannon, yours are the very same questions that the *original* Dark Side thread stirred up for me last year. Others here will be able to direct you better to answers. Just keep asking questions and keep praying for direction-the Holy Spirit will guide you! It's an amazing journey!

KrissiK-EXACTLY, exactly! The Armenian point of view was giving me that frustrated Christian life of God not doing what I wanted...just like you said. It is just so overwhelming to finally understand it all, and know that He is in total control. I could just weep from finally feeling peace and security.

I'm still not sure where evangelism comes into play(aren't there Reformed missionaries)?

We evangelize because He commands us to. We don't understand exactly how we fit into His plan for other's salvation, we just know we do and that we should obey His call. :001_smile:

I do see, in general, in my Reformed friends a differnt type of evangelism, though: less "broadcast to the masses, get them in the door and to the altar" and more "get involved in people's messy lives with them and show them Christ's love."

Also, if one believed in pre condemnation- well, that would explain a lot of the immoral behavior in our world--they were just born that way and I wouldn't need to worry about that. Seems harsh, I guess. I need to wrap my mind around it all a bit more.

Actually, Total Depravity applies to ALL, not just those who aren't elect. We are all dead in sin. The only difference between us is that, through nothing we deserve, we have the Holy Spirit to guide us and Christ to follow.

Every. Single. One. Of. Us. is a wretched sinner. Those who are called by God still lead lives of struggle against sin. I am one of God's chldren, yet I sin all the time, even though it doesn't look like the "big" sins (I covet, I hate, I lie, I put other things before God, etc. etc.) The man who murders today may know God tomorrow, and it may be his death sentence that God uses to convert him. Immoral lives are not just for those not chosen.

I'm still not sure where evangelism comes into play(aren't there Reformed missionaries)? Would this just call to attention those "chosen" to acknowledge Him? The rest will just ignore the message?

Yep... there are reformed missionaries. We're actually hoping someday we will get to be reformed missionaries. You go out of obedience to God. Not because you will "save" anyone. God can use rocks to tell of himself... but how awesome that he could use me instead and allow me to be part of his plan in bringing someone to salvation.

Also, if one believed in pre condemnation- well, that would explain a lot of the immoral behavior in our world--they were just born that way and I wouldn't need to worry about that. Seems harsh, I guess. I need to wrap my mind around it all a bit more.

I agree with the other person that stated this is an example of total depravity. We're all depraved, all drawn to sin.

One thing I can say is that I became a Christian at age 8 and fell away for a long time. I was in so deep that it is a miracle that I am where I am today--is this that irresistable Grace? If we are chosen, even if we fall away at some point in our lives--we will always come back because it's God's plan for us?

I think irresistable grace is that you can't not become a Christian if God is calling you. So, the fact that you were saved at age 8 is an example of irresistable grace. That you came back to God is an example of perseverance of the saints. You can sin and screw up your life, but you will always be saved.

Is there false salvation(someone thinks they are saved, but are not?!) Does this view believe in loss of salvation? Like I know people that accepted Christ but in no way live a life that glorifies God and they no longer acknowledge Him.

No, you cannot lose your salvation. Reformed theology is very God centered. You cannot save yourself, you cannot resist being saved, and you cannot screw up so much as to lose your salvation. Thank goodness. Otherwise I would be doomed because I am an expert at screwing up. I don't really know how to respond to the "false salvation" idea. I would think if you are claiming God's grace, that you would be part of the elect. At the same time, I know of a lot of people who claim to be saved but I see no evidence whatsoever in their life. Of course, only God knows if they are or aren't... I just think some people may claim christianity because they want to look good or feel like it's something they "should" do... but it has nothing to do with trusting in God's grace... does that make any sense?

Does anyone have a single, specific, easy to understand book that might help this southern Baptist girl understand more? Hmm..if I embrace this thought--which I kind of already do--does that mean I'm attending the wrong church!? Sorry, so many questions.

RC Sproul is good. I read one of his books in college, but I can't remember the title of it now. There are lots of reformed baptists (John Piper being the most famous... Voddie Bauchum is another). There are reformed baptist churches and baptist pastors. However, I would say most baptists aren't reformed and most baptist churches aren't open about being reformed even if they are (more like you think whatever you want to about the issue). We left the baptist church to be PCA (Presbyterian) where everyone is reformed. It's been a better fit for us.

Right--I didn't mean that sin doesn't apply to me, I just meant that if people are already condemned, what should they care? Party on, so to speak. I wouldn't have to worry about them as much as I do now. That's the part that kind of freaks me out a bit. For me though, it might explain things such as sexual sin that is so prevalent in our society.

Thanks Staceyobu. I'm starting to understand a bit more. It does make sense, I'm just trying to piece it all together so I could explain it to someone else. Our Sunday school class is studying Romans and next week we will be having a discussion on predestination vs. free will and one of the ladies was getting all worked up about it this week so they told her to be prepared for the discussion next wee(she was a free will believer). I think I have all along, really believed in being chosen in some form or fashion, just never put in the words "elect". I guess it sounded too Mormon or something.

Right--I didn't mean that sin doesn't apply to me, I just meant that if people are already condemned, what should they care? Party on, so to speak. I wouldn't have to worry about them as much as I do now. That's the part that kind of freaks me out a bit. For me though, it might explain things such as sexual sin that is so prevalent in our society.

I do think calvinism has changed my view of nonbelievers. I used to have a very much "their blood is on my hands" attitude... constantly feeling guilty because maybe I should be witnessing and people are going to hell because I didn't share with them.

However, I think in many ways it has made me a bolder witness instead of making me witness less. I can freely share and not worry if I say exactly the right words to convince someone to become a Christian. Since God does the work anyways, if I mess up, it doesn't matter. God has commanded us to share the Gospel... so we should continue to share it. But again, it's an attitude of sharing out of obedience to God rather than out of guilt.

It's only been five days since I've been "assimilated" and I am on cloud nine! I can't believe how much everything finally makes SENSE now when I read the Bible!!!! I can really see how my Armenian way of looking at things in the past contributed toward my unstable, fear-based way of living. It's like I finally have a FOUNDATION in Christ! I understand now what a BIG God we have! Finally understanding His absolute sovereignty in ALL things just gives me so much peace and security and JOY! I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. I just had to let it all out and I know you understand!!!!! :001_smile::001_smile:

Years ago now my husband set down with me and patiently explained to me the Doctrines of Grace. I couldn't believe that all the questions I had for so long finally had reasonable answers. I know how you feel! Keep reading, keep studying and Keep praising our wonderful God.

It's like being saved all over again, and your thankfullness doubles!!!

Just wanted to add that I had the same reaction when my husband explained the Doctrines of Grace to me about 25 years ago (we were just friends at the time). I was totally stunned at how these doctrines answered all the questions I had had about Christianity up until then. I was also stunned that no one had ever told me before. I used to wish that I had a little pastor sitting on my shoulder all the time to answer all the questions I had, but when my dh shared the DoG with me I never felt that need again. It truly is amazing!!

• 4 weeks later...
I was totally stunned at how these doctrines answered all the questions I had had about Christianity up until then. I was also stunned that no one had ever told me before. I used to wish that I had a little pastor sitting on my shoulder all the time to answer all the questions I had, but when my dh shared the DoG with me I never felt that need again. It truly is amazing!!

I wrote this after I studied Romans in BSF two years ago:

I am not ashamed of the gospel. Rom. 1:16

I am without excuse. Rom. 2:1

I am a sinner and fall short of God’s glory. Rom. 3:23

I am credited with righteousness. Rom. 4:24

I am justified through faith and have peace with God. Rom. 5:1

I am dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Rom. 6:11

I am a wretched man. Who will rescue me from this body of death?

Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!Rom. 7:24-25

I am controlled by the Spirit, since the Spirit of God lives in me. Rom. 8:9

I am the clay. Rom. 9:21 I am richly blessed. Rom. 10:12

I am a recipient of God’s mercy. Rom. 11:30

I am a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God. Rom. 12:1

I am never debt-free. Rom. 13:8 I am the Lord’s. Rom. 14:8

I am filled with all joy and peace, and I overflow with hope. Rom.15:13

I am to glorify God forever through my Lord Jesus Christ. Rom. 16:27

dmmosher 5.15.07

Wonderful! Finally understanding the sovereignty of God literally changed my life.

Just curious as to what dark siders and assimilation are in regard to your faith? I've never heard of this.

Just expressions--there is no darkness (I don't like that description for this board's description of the reformed faith), and the assimilation is just a way of saying that she now embraces the biblical teaching of the absolute sovereignty of God.