Menu

I have joined the Dark Side!!!! (Book recommendations needed)

I was never aware of a difference until last year reading the long Dark Side thread. I looked into it for awhile, even listened to some of Romans on audio, but I was seeing verses that made me feel either "side" could be valid. So I backburned it for awhile, knowing that this was an area for Christians that has valid points on both sides (and I do still think that and don't think it should be an area for dissension amongst the Church.)

But yesterday I was reading through Romans for another purpose, starting with 7:15. Then I got to the end of chapter 8, and it really hit me in those last few verses. I had read them before in connection with trying to decide on being Reformed or not, but somehow, reading it in context like that, made all the difference!

I had read some things awhile back online about TULIP and so on; Reformed blogs, but now I'm looking for a highly readable book about Reformed faith. Not something pie in the sky and philosophical and wordy (you know how those Reformed writers can get-lol!), just something basic and enjoyable to read. It can be about any aspect of Reformed faith-not really history though.

I'm so glad for the work the Lord is doing in my life! Thanks for all the help from Dark Siders here!

R.C Sproul is the king of reformed teaching on a layman's level. Grace Unknown would be a great place to start. After that, he has many books that are helpful. I would also recommend listening to his radio program if you get it in your area, Renewiing Your Mind. If not in your area, you can listen to his "online library" of audio and video teaching at www.ligonier.org. When I first came to what you are experiencing, Sproul is where we started, which came highly recommmended for his clarity of teaching from several pastor friends of ours.

I distinctly remember when my husband and I first explored Reformed theology and had a friend to talk it through with us initially. We, like you, started reading and became more convinced than ever. It was the first time all my Christian education in my previous years finally came into a very clear perspective that made so much more sense. We always likened it to we finally had a skeleton to hang everything else on that made a complete sensible whole (theologically speaking. Of course, Christ is the core of all of it. But, I mean just havng a clear understanding of the big picture.) Wow, it really changed our lives and perspectives in countless ways. A very new depth of humility of God's grace.

Welcome to the Dark Side :D

I think you may want to watch this. It's part one of a series they are loading on the website about What is Reformed Theology. I think part 2 is on there as well. (look for the "watch" label at the media center, as they are added). It looks like it will cover what's in the book, Grace Unknown.

Edited by debbiec

One of the biggest discoveries I made after I crossed over :) was that scripture is meant to be read in context from Genesis to Revelations. I grew up in a church that generally picked scriptures to suit topics. Once I understood this it made a huge difference on how I read and understood the bible. And like you Romans, particularly Romans 8, hit it home for me. (In fact this year I'm memorizing Romans 8 . . . okay I'm old . . .it'll take me a year!) Even though I grew up in a Christian home, with godly parents, when I embraced reformed teaching it was like a new start to my Christian walk and definitely changed, for the positive, how I viewed God.

I agree with the other posters, Sproul is excellent. John Piper and his ministry at Desiring God http://www.desiringgod.org/ also has a wealth of information. Our ladies small group also watched a short series called Amazing Grace http://www.monergismbooks.com/Amazing-Grace-The-History-Theology-of-Calvinism-DVD-p-16342.html

Enjoy the journey!

I agree with the other posters, Sproul is excellent. John Piper and his ministry at Desiring God http://www.desiringgod.org/ also has a wealth of information.

I have to agree with her and add John MacArthur at Grace To You is another WONDERFUL source. If you sign up for his mailing list, you will receive offers for free things each month. Sometimes it is a book (he offers his new books as they come out, or sometimes older books that pertain to a certain season like Christmas) sometimes it is audio book or audio sermons. He is a wonderful teacher. I almost wish I lived in California, near enough to him to go to his church.

Welcome! Boy, are you in for an exciting journey. When I 'crossed over' many years ago, I had an insatiable desire to learn [and read] more and more. Two easy books I recall enjoying back then were Chosen by God by R.C. Sproul and Putting Amazing Back into Grace by Michael Horton. Horton's book was, if I recall correctly, the one that pushed me completely over to the dark side. It even has study questions to help you think. Toward the end of the book he talked a bit about baby baptism, which I am still not on board with and may never be, but I appreciate the reformed view on it regardless of my own believers-baptism beliefs. ;)

There are many Calvinistic teacher's out there these days who agree on the 5-point of Calvinism, yet differ on other issues such as baptism, gifts, end-times, etc. John MacArthur, R.C. Sproul, C.J. Mahaney, Joshua Harris, John Piper, Alistair Begg, Jerry Bridges, Al Mohler, Mark Driscoll (controversial, I hear, but I love listening to him on YouTube) etc., etc., etc. I download MP3's from some of these guys and thoroughly enjoy them. Oh, and here is a book that you might enjoy as well: Because He Loves Me I have not read it myself, but have had it recommended to me several times.

Enjoy the journey!! It's soooo bright on the Dark Side...be sure to wear your songlasses! :D

Since I'm new here, I missed the "Dark Side" thread. But reading the comments it looks like I'm also on the "dark side".

You've gotten excellent suggestions! I particularly like John MacArthur and the Grace to You website. My other favorites in addition to what others have suggested are Tim challies and Kevin DeYoung. As someone else mentioned, the Westminster Theological Seminary Bookstore has many resources that come from a reformed perspective.

Have fun learning and growing! It's an exciting journey!

I missed the Dark Side thread, unfortunately, but when I became Reformed (about 10 years ago) a website that really helped me along is Phil Johnson's Bookmarks. (Sorry, I didn't do the link, but you can google it). He's affiliated with MacArthur's church. I think Phil edit's MacArthur's books. Anyhow, his bookmarks are an extensive list of Reformed websites that are very informative and educational. Great place to start. He's also got a great blog, Pyromaniacs, with 2 other guys. Tim Challies has been mentioned before and he's good.

Thanks for the encouragement and great suggestions! Pyromaniacs was one of the sites I mentioned I was on awhile back. Df who lives locally just let me know her dh has two copies of Chosen by God, so that's on the way! I'm making a list of the others to go from there!

I'm really excited about it. It does make you somehow SO much more humbled and grateful to look at things from this perspective. I am anxious to learn more and more! Thanks for all the help!

It's amazing to see the recent revival in Reformed theology; I grew up in a Reformed Baptist Church -- guess I was reformed when reformed wasn't cool. :tongue_smilie: The term "reformed" is much, much broader now: in fact, I sometimes wonder if some of the fine authors and pastors recommended in this thread would call themselves reformed (thinking of Piper in particular). In one sense, it certainly doesn't matter -- I think there can be room for various facets and differences in application. On the other hand, you may want to be able to more clearly articulate your doctrinal position (people love to ask what on earth it means to be Reformed). I've been told that Reformed does not equal Calvinistic, and vice versa (though I'm hard pressed to tell the difference -- as best I can tell, it has more to do with variations in church government). So, since you've already had excellent suggestions on some general books, I'll recommend more specifically doctrinal materials.

I second R.C. Sproul (just stay away from Sproul Jr.!) Anything from him is going to be rich in theology.

Commentaries by Charles Bridges and J.C. Ryle -- Ryle especially is delightful to read, very practical (I love the single volume commentaries on the Gospels; as well as his Daily Readings). A.W. Pink is great. Tozer's Knowledge of the Holy is a must read.

I would be remiss to not mention my own dear pastors' sermons, available at our church website. We have, IMO, a great balance of "old school reformed" and "young, restless, and reformed" preaching represented among our four preaching elders. ;) There are some other resources on the website you may also find useful.

Summary of Christian Doctrine by Berkhof, and a little workbook titled Calvinism, HyperCalvinism, and Arminianism might be good starting places for systematic theology. Both are easy to follow and available from Christian Liberty Press.

Speaking of which, this may start making a difference in what you prefer to use in curriculum; particularly in Bible and History courses (I find that I have to tweak both BJU and Abeka materials due to doctrinal distinctives). Both CLP and Veritas Press come from a Reformed perspective; CLP is more "traditional" Reformed, and I find VP to be a little more "contemporary". One disclaimer re: VP: I can't endorse Douglas Wilson's recent writings or behavior, so I recommend the publisher in general, not Wilson's non-curriculum books in particular.

It's amazing to see the recent revival in Reformed theology; I grew up in a Reformed Baptist Church -- guess I was reformed when reformed wasn't cool. :tongue_smilie: The term "reformed" is much, much broader now: in fact, I sometimes wonder if some of the fine authors and pastors recommended in this thread would call themselves reformed (thinking of Piper in particular).

No, they probably wouldn't in the traditional reformed church government sense. ;)

(just stay away from Sproul Jr.!)
I heard something about him getting a bit wacky in doctrine. Care to elaborate?

A.W. Pink is great.
The Sovereignty of God by Pink is my all time favorite book.

I can't endorse Douglas Wilson's recent writings or behavior, so I recommend the publisher in general, not Wilson's non-curriculum books in particular.
Again, I have heard general comments about Wilson and have read a few books by his wife, Nancy. In fact, I just finished one and have to say that I really did not agree with some of her "wisdom" (advice). :confused: I won't be reading anymore of her stuff. :tongue_smilie:

Again, I have heard general comments about Wilson and have read a few books by his wife, Nancy. In fact, I just finished one and have to say that I really did not agree with some of her "wisdom" (advice). :confused: I won't be reading anymore of her stuff. :tongue_smilie:

I am thinkin' I read the same book and just left burdened. It was not a good or uplifting read to me. I don't recommend her either.

I'd say, just read the Scriptures. ; ) I was converted to the "dark side" by studying the book of Ephesians. Also, try not to make it such a pet issue that it sidetracks you or divides you from other believers. I have gotten so carried away with pet issues in the past that it takes up time that should be spend communing with the Lord and studying His Word - so I throw that thought out.

I love the God-centered preaching of John Piper, as well as books by RC Sproul, such as Chosen by God.

Blessings as you study to glorify our great and awesome God!!!!

Thank you so much to everyone! (And to whomever invited me to the social group!) I also appreciate the advice on who to stay away from-I had heard negative things about some of those same people before.

I agree with Tami's sage advice-I am trying to not go hog wild over this aspect of my faith, and remain in balance. It is very exciting though! :)

I have been a "dark side" member for quite awhile, although I didn't know it.:001_smile:

I would love to join the social group. I'm new to these boards, although I use to hang out a lot before it changed to this current format. Could someone point me in the correct direction so I could join like-minded members?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended and Documented. 2nd Edition : David Steele, Curtis Thomas, and Lance Quinn is a fantastic resource!

Welcome!

I can recommend two books:

https://store.ligonier.org/product.asp?idDept=B&idCategory=TH&idProduct=FIV04BP

and

https://store.ligonier.org/product.asp?idDept=B&idCategory=TH&idProduct=WHA01BP

and almost anything else on this site!

Enjoy your reading! :001_smile:

Too funny about the second book - I just ordered and got that in the mail today! And wasn't the Dilemma's book reviewed in our church magazine last month? It looks great! :)