Menu

How I spent my weekend--or 'let them eat cake'....

This past weekend I ventured up to the HOT state of Oklahoma to make a wedding cake for my niece. BTW she was homeschooled from K-10th...

This is my first 'fondant' covered wedding cake and only my 3rd fondant covered cake (we will NOT talk about the other 2 experiments!). I used marshmallow fondant --YUMMY!--(Melt a bag of marshmallows and knead in powdered sugar and flavorings--this one had a hint of raspberry). Each tier was torted (each cake split so it was 4 layers per tier) and filled with a strawberry butter-cream. I only had to re-bake one tier and recover it in fondant a few times :glare: but I was finished 2 hours before the wedding started:hurray:

I think it turned out nicely--but a few hours before this picture I would not have bet on it!

The wedding was beautiful, the bride radiant, the cake was cut into a million pieces and consumed and I'm finally back home...exhausted!

ry%3D400

Edited by Jann in TX
spelling of course!

Very pretty! Good job!

I know what you mean about worrying until it's done. I made my sil's wedding cake about ten years ago. The cake looked like a basket, and was covered in chocolate-dipped strawberries. The morning of the wedding, all of the strawberries were suddenly (instantly) overripe, and I had to get a batch of new ones and dip all of them last minute. I was stressed!!

Lisa

Each tier started with (2) 2-in high layers. I split each layer so there were a total of 4 layers... Nothing like taking a knife and cutting apart a perfectly good layer--just to put it back together again!

It was VERY hot last week in Oklahoma...100's. The house I made the cake in (my sisters MIL's) was a bit warm and humid. When I got there Sunday to stack the tiers and put the fondant pearls on (yes I hand rolled each and every pearl on that cake/boarder) the fondant on the top tier was drooping off! Luckily the bottom tiers survived because I did not have enough spare fondant--or TIME--for a total re-do.

The wedding was at 5pm OUTSIDE. I insisted the cake stay inside until right before it was needed at the reception. This cake would have been a melted mess had it been iced in buttercream! Luckily fondant can stand a bit more heat...