Menu

I think I want to give myself a perm...have I lost my mind?

My mom used to give me perms in jr high/high school. They were fine I guess. I used to give them to her, and to my husband 20 years ago (:eek::rolleyes: - on his mullet no less!) I got a perm about 4 years ago, professionally, and it was WAY too curly and reacted badly to my color. Amy walked in, Bozo walked out. It took a long, long time to grow it out and I even bought a perm to use as a straightener. Talk about damage. I clearly reacted very strongly to the professional stuff.

What I want is for my somewhat fine - layered, straight, and limp hair to have just a touch of a bend or wave in it. Something so that on a hot day when I get out of the shower I can "scrunch" and go. Now I have to blow dry, and curl, and set with hairspray, and UGH! It's too much!! And if I don't, it's a straight, limp, nothing style. I usually wear a headband, and that's fine, but the hair under the headband is still lifeless. I long for something soft and feminine, but more like 5 minutes, not 30, KWIM? So that my morning routine is 5 min for hair and 5 for makeup and out the door. ETA: I forgot to mention the reason this has come up is we've been to the pool twice this week. I want to look better there and after getting out and back at home!

Have any of you ever done your own perms? On yourself? Is that impossible? My mom is 2000 miles away, so she can't help me. I may be able to find a girlfriend to help, but if they've never done it, I might do it just as well. Am I crazy?

My mom used to give me perms in jr high/high school. They were fine I guess. I used to give them to her, and to my husband 20 years ago (:eek::rolleyes: - on his mullet no less!) I got a perm about 4 years ago, professionally, and it was WAY too curly and reacted badly to my color. Amy walked in, Bozo walked out. It took a long, long time to grow it out and I even bought a perm to use as a straightener. Talk about damage. I clearly reacted very strongly to the professional stuff.

What I want is for my somewhat fine - layered, straight, and limp hair to have just a touch of a bend or wave in it. Something so that on a hot day when I get out of the shower I can "scrunch" and go. Now I have to blow dry, and curl, and set with hairspray, and UGH! It's too much!! And if I don't, it's a straight, limp, nothing style. I usually wear a headband, and that's fine, but the hair under the headband is still lifeless. I long for something soft and feminine, but more like 5 minutes, not 30, KWIM? So that my morning routine is 5 min for hair and 5 for makeup and out the door. ETA: I forgot to mention the reason this has come up is we've been to the pool twice this week. I want to look better there and after getting out and back at home!

Have any of you ever done your own perms? On yourself? Is that impossible? My mom is 2000 miles away, so she can't help me. I may be able to find a girlfriend to help, but if they've never done it, I might do it just as well. Am I crazy?

Yes, you are crazy. Rolling on perm rods is really difficult especially if you are trying to do it in the mirror. I would try a professional again and just tell them you want body only or maybe a slight bit of wave. Also let them know that they need to use the gentlest perm they have.

:iagree:

Put down the rods and back away slowly. Proceed to a professional for appropriate care. Seriously, you'll thank us later.

:iagree: too. And if there were any surviving pictures of the unfortunate home afro I sported in the early 80s, I would post it as a warning to all.

(And, seriously, perming for the POOL? wouldn't that just completely fry your hair?)

Okay, okay!!! :lol:

Just so ya know, I color my own hair all the time. Maybe that's what makes me think I could do it.

And for the record, the worst my hair has looked in a very, very long time was from the professional perm - because she didn't listen to how loose I wanted it. What part of "body wave" could she not have understood? So now I am way too afraid of doing it professionally. :001_huh: To pay over $100 to have Bozo hair, no thanks!

Guess I'll have to live with the straight limpies. :glare:

Okay, okay!!! :lol:

Just so ya know, I color my own hair all the time. Maybe that's what makes me think I could do it.

And for the record, the worst my hair has looked in a very, very long time was from the professional perm - because she didn't listen to how loose I wanted it. What part of "body wave" could she not have understood? So now I am way too afraid of doing it professionally. :001_huh: To pay over $100 to have Bozo hair, no thanks!

Guess I'll have to live with the straight limpies. :glare:

Ok, I have done it, a LONG time ago. The front and sides are not that bad to roll but the back is difficult. If you have someone to help you with that it could work or not. If you want just a bit of body, not really curl you need to use large rods.

I have to admit I would ask around to people that I know and find a hair dresser that will listen. Watch them and ask questions. Let them know that to much curl will equil to you not coming back and everyone that asks you will know where you got your do. Most places know that word of mouth can be their best advertisement or their worst.

See, that's the problem with us home schoolers....

We think since we can successfully educate our kids that somehow we can be doctors, farmers, and of all things, beauticians!!!

Run, don't walk, to a professional. This is one thing we can't do all by our selves as well as the pros. :lol:

(And if you decide to do it yourself anyway, just know that I'd probably do the same. But only once. :D)

Oh the flashbacks of bad perms from the 80s!

My MIL forced my husband to let her give him one in high school hahah - she had a picture of it, but apparently he stole it many years ago. Bummer - I would have LOVED to see that!

Anyhoo...bah...its only hair, right? I gave myself a very very BAD dye job about 3 years ago - I mixed two colors and it came out crayola maroonish read haha. I didn't care - I loved it because it was bizarre, and since I worked from home and didn't ever have to meet with people face to face it was no big deal. And I savored the crazy looks I got at Wal-Mart. Good times.

That being said, if you don't mind running the risk, why not? If all your hair falls out it will grow back, right?

Now, if you need to be out in public a lot and really care what others think about your hair, that is another story. But if your husband has a sense of humor and you don't think having frizzy hair will give you a nervous break down, why not?

I guess I am just not girlie enough for something like this to be a big deal to me. If it works WONDERFUL - if not, oh well. Its not like you are trying to cure cancer here.

I have considered getting my dd or dh to help me with a perm. I know I'd never get the rollers in properly if I did it by myself but I think with a little help it would be okay.

My hair is always a mess anyway so it couldn't get much worse... right? :tongue_smilie:

Here's a link to an article that mentions roller size and what you need to look for. HTH

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/51658/giving_a_home_perm.html?cat=69

I have done my own perms, but I am trained as a hairdresser...I thought it was really hard to do my own, but it worked...My arms ached from holding them above my head for so long! lol

I would be really careful about the type of perm you use if you decide to do it...I think you mentioned you color your hair...some perms that are safe for color treated hair are only safe for certain types of color...(depending on if it is permanent or semi permanent makes a difference, as well as if it is permanent color the level of developer you use can make a big difference in what perms are going to work well or which ones will fry your hair).

The size of rods used will make the biggest difference in the size of the curl. My hair curls really easily and if I use anything smaller than a purple rod I get poodle hair...my mom is the exact opposite...her hair is more resistant, so I have to use smaller than purple (often white and gray) to even get a body perm look for her...so many factors to think about:)

I have had better luck having someone else do it (they turn out better for me), but in a pinch I think I could do it again myself...

:smilielol5: You guys are so funny! How many of you are secretly hoping I'll do it - just to see what happens?!:lol::001_huh:

I'm going to call around and see what I can find out. I DO NOT want to return to the snooty salon I went to last time. The know-it-all-ness of her attitude is what gave me to Bozo head in the first place - she didn't listen to me.

I always assume that with big enough rods, the home solutions are so weak the worst that could happen is no curl at all - which happened a lot when I was younger. But that was before pregnancies and aging that may have affected my hair's texture and reaction to the solution.

:leaving: Backing away from the home perm now... I'll let you know if I decide to get one professionally or just live with my straight and lifeless hair!