Menu

I need some recipes featuring eggs

Eggs have been on sale and dh has decided this is a good way to cut back on our grocery bill. We like eggs and already eat the for breakfast. i've made egg salad for lunch, but I need some recipes that will allow me to make at least one main meal a week that features eggs. The only ideas I was able to find online is quiche and impossible pie.

This is sort of like a quiche-like, but no crust. Beat eggs, blend in heavy cream, add salt & pepper to taste, add whatever fillings you like--ham, sausage, cheese, chopped veggies, etc... Bake in the oven in a greased pie pan like you would a quiche.

This is pretty much what I do, only I use skim milk and a handful of whatever cheese I have on hand instead of the cream. Swiss/broccoli/mushroom, tomato/fresh basil/mozzarella, and cheddar/red bell pepper/onion are the ones I do the most. I serve wedges of it with a big salad and baked potatoes.

Really good eggy french toast.

Use plenty of eggs and day old bread. If you let the bread dry out some during the day it's even better. But use plenty of egg and let the bread soak for an hour or overnight (if you're doing breakfast, I tend to do it for dinner). It will use up a number of egg, bread is cheap, and it fills, while giving you protein.

We absolutely LOVE crepes. My husband even got me a crepe pan, because I love them so much. And you can do dinner crepes, too. Our recipe calls for 14 eggs and either keifer or kinda thinner yogurt than normal. Also, I like quiche with homemade pie crust. The Dutch babies are really super easy:-) You can do a Denny's slam? Is that what it's called? It's yummy omelette type things with eggs scrambled....and eggs on top.

Carrie

This is pretty much what I do, only I use skim milk and a handful of whatever cheese I have on hand instead of the cream. Swiss/broccoli/mushroom, tomato/fresh basil/mozzarella, and cheddar/red bell pepper/onion are the ones I do the most. I serve wedges of it with a big salad and baked potatoes.

I've found that heavy cream makes a big difference in baked or scrambled eggs. You'd use about the same amount as you would milk.

This is not an egg dish, but another thing you can use an egg for:

Beat an egg white until it's bubbly--doesn't need a lot of whipping. Put breadstick dough on a baking sheet (like Pillsbury). Use a pastry brush and brush the egg white on the breadstick dough. Sprinkle with any combination of italian seasonings, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt. Bake according to package directions.

This gives the breadsticks a slightly crispy and shiny top, and they're sooo much better than just baked plain!

Use the whites for merigues - drop cookies, pavlovas, pie topping - and the yolks for French style ice cream, custard pie or pudding.

I second the crepes. It's amazing how yummy simple leftover type things are when rolled in a crepe with a little bechamel on top. Popovers / Yorkshire pudding are also a hit here... hmmmm, I need new muffin pans.

You can do a whole lot with a quiche or frittata, too. And, as an added bonus, quiche is delicious cold, with a salad on a hot summer night. Salad Lyonnaise is also good - poached egg on top of the salad. I like to use a slab of crusty bread under the salad instead of croutons, or toast the croutons to a chewy state rather than crunchy.

Eggs have been on sale and dh has decided this is a good way to cut back on our grocery bill. We like eggs and already eat the for breakfast. i've made egg salad for lunch, but I need some recipes that will allow me to make at least one main meal a week that features eggs. The only ideas I was able to find online is quiche and impossible pie.

Cheese souffle, deviled eggs and a nice salad, or the lemon souffle dessert in JOC. My that is good. Here is a link for it:

http://snagwiremedia.com/lemon-souffle-pudding/

Frittata or dinner omelettes. Egg foo young.

Edited by kalanamak