Menu

Is this legit?

I am selling a fur coat on Craigslist. Someone responded, and after a few back and forth emails, this is the email he sent. It is obvious he is foreign, but is this one of those scams?

Hello ,

How are you and your Family?? I want to Thank you for the prompt

response to my inquiry,i would have loved to come by my self to see it

,but i am a little busy and i will like to tell you that i am very

much satisfied with the description, condition and price of the Item

and i would like to make an outright purchase immediately so i will advise

that you withdraw the advert for the ad.

I shall be making payment via Us Postal Money Order or cashier Check

to your location after which my shipper will be coming over for the

pick up once you have gotten the check i must notify you that i am

sending an excessive payment so that after it clears you will deduct

your money and pay the rest to my shipper so he can come for the Pick

up.

I have decided to pay $350 if you will sell this to me....Thanks and

feel free to ask any question .i will need both your Full Name and

Address to post the payment. Thank you and have a wonderful day.

Regards.....Rick

I got two of those in response to a couch I was trying to sell.

In my case, the cost for the couch plus the cost of hiring "shippers" would have been more than just buying a new couch in the respondent's location, so it was pretty obvious that it was a scam.

The wording was essentially the same, though.

ETA: I missed the part about "excessive payment". That is always the tip-off. Money orders can bounce (if they're purchased with an invalid check) and can be counterfeit. The scam is that your bank has to credit your account within a certain amount of time after the deposit (48 hours, I think?) and so you pay the "shippers" and hand over the goods, then get a notice that the payment you deposited was no good.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

It's a scam. Be very, very careful. I had a store on Ebay for years and I refused to sell out of country or to sell off-ebay. My mom has a store also and had her entire identity stolen - her personal info, they were making purchases in Europe with her paypal card, etc.

Be careful. :glare:

I get a lot of these when I list on Craigslist.

I have read that they may actually send you a legit looking money order, your bank will take it, and then it will sometimes take 30 days or so for the banks to realize it is no legit and by then you have already lost the item and the "over-payment" and are out everything.

Dawn

The company I work for has been getting some angry calls from people who have cashed checks from "our company" only to find out they were bogus. The check will look real and have all of the proper information on it, but more people should realize that a big company isn't too interested in buying their bike/computer/coat. Another tip off is that the none of the addresses will match... ie the check, senders and ship to address will all be different.

Sorry that a scammer got in touch with you... at least you were wise enough to see if for what it really was.

Agreeing--SCAM.

I had something similar happen--I posted a tutoring ad, and had two people contact me. The first was a guy, supposedly from Jamaica, who was sending his son to the states and wanted to set up tutoring. He agreed to pay me.

I almost fell for it--I would have, but then I got another email, from someone else out of the country who wanted to set up tutoring for his son...they were so similarly worded that it tipped me off. I did respond to both of them, saying, essentially, I knew what they were doing, would report it, and SHAME ON YOU!

Man, there are so many ways to scam people, aren't there?