Menu

My senior's last class... and a thank you for all who contributed to his education...

Our graduation ceremony was just a simple family party, but my son's last class was very special. On the way up to drop him at college, we drove past Delorme's giant three-story globe. My son had never been in to see it, so we stopped. We spent half an hour watching it slowly spin and my son pointed out all the places he's traveled and all the places he hopes to see. He told me interesting things about various spots. He pointed to places all over the world where his friends live. It was a very special last class and particularly fitting for this child, who has mostly learned by reading and traveling, and who has spent so much time working for world peace.

I just thought I'd tell everyone the end of his homeschooling story, all those who have listened to our worries and joys so patiently and have contributed to our many educational decisions.

-Nan

Our graduation ceremony was just a simple family party, but my son's last class was very special. On the way up to drop him at college, we drove past Delorme's giant three-story globe. My son had never been in to see it, so we stopped. We spent half an hour watching it slowly spin and my son pointed out all the places he's traveled and all the places he hopes to see. He told me interesting things about various spots. He pointed to places all over the world where his friends live. It was a very special last class and particularly fitting for this child, who has mostly learned by reading and traveling, and who has spent so much time working for world peace.

I just thought I'd tell everyone the end of his homeschooling story, all those who have listened to our worries and joys so patiently and have contributed to our many educational decisions.

-Nan

Nan, it is so much fun for me to read about your homeschooling adventures. You have helped me a lot. a LOT. You've done a good job. Congratulations!! and :grouphug:

-Nan

Congratulations Nan and son!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure you are full of pride for your son's accomplishments. Good luck to the next phase of his life.

I loved this, Nan. Thanks for posting. I enjoy reading your posts so much - I have gained much insight and confidence from your words.

Your post also brought back some great memories! I remember driving by Delorme's many years ago with my family and my parents - my kids were very little at the time - and we stopped to look. I remember my little ones' amazement at the globe, at the size of the world - fun to see through little eyes. :) And my dad? He loved it - he loves anything map/geography-related.

Today, my parents live in southern NH and my dad has been teaching my kids a geography class long-distance for the past two years. He, and they, are having a great deal of fun! I love how he is passing on his passion to my kids. My parents have had their house on the market for 1 1/2 years now, trying to sell - they are hoping to move here (central IL) to be more closer to us. We are praying!

Mine are close, too. They have been heavily involved with my children. My father had my children one afternoon a week for tech ed (and life ed LOL). My oldest is currently emailing my father daily from his college training ship, a result of that early link. I hope your parents can come soon. I think geography is one of those things that really comes alive with an enthusiastic teacher or mentor.