Menu

What does your 5 year old boy play with?

My grandkids are coming for a visit over the 4th of July. He is 5 1/2 and she is 2 1/2.

He is really hard to figure out what makes his day. He doesn't care for building things, as in Legos. He does play with cars sometimes. He likes goopy goop, that's what they call Cornstarch and water. He loves marbles and sometimes magnets. He is reading at a post lst grade level.

I have a huge drawer in my kitchen I would love to fill up with some heatlhy snacks and play things for them. Playdoh, crayons, paper etc. But I don't think that really gets him too excited.

I thought about sewing them some aprons. I make most of their Pj's and some playclothes and that is a very special thing for my grandson especially. So I think he might get a kick of out his own grilling apron.,

What kind of outside yard toys do your kids like?

Anyone have some new ideas for me?

My 5 year old loves to play with his big blocks(I had a friend build giant wooden blocks like daycares have out of fence boards and 2x4's), his scooter, water toys, his big tonka trucks in the sandbox, and anything he can turn into a horse and/or sword/gun.

Indoors, favorites are blocks, painting, moon sand, any sensory stuff I put out (a container of barley or rice, or a water station etc) marble works, the playhouse stuff(food,dishes, oven mitts etc), and the dolls (the dolls, clothes and all the extra pieces like strollers we have), and anything Diego.

Nothing in the world makes him happier though than playing with the little girl next door. They are best friends, and according to them are going to get married when they grow up. He will drop everything to play teaparty with her if that is what she wants just to make her happy.

Is there little kids at either of your neighbors that he could be playmates with?

My son likes playing in the rocks around his play yard set, with his Tonka trucks....finding "special" rocks in there is fun to him.

He likes playing with his Leap pad and playing on the computer. He loves to ride his bike...(yes, supervised) and going to Science Museums. Going to McDonalds and playing in the center...or going to the park.

He likes to build, although I hear you when you say your's doesn't....how about playmobile type play. If he likes imaginative play with silks and such...do you have things to use to turn into "knights" and "pirates" and such? My son's oldest sisters had him in silks all the time when he was a bit younger....(even now, occasionally) But, with his sword (watch out) and other play things....he can turn into anything.

He loves stuffed animals and will play with them forever...including, bears....spiderman....tigers....anything...really.

Oh, there are those really cool tubes that you can send marbles down. A lot of the cataloges that are Waldorfy have them...or maybe Timberdoodle, too. I think Discovery Toys has a plastic one. Those always looked like fun...

My son likes lots of Grammy time, with her reading books and playing games with him. He really is getting old enough to read chapter books like Little Pilgrim's Progress and other books like that.

Enjoy!

Carrie

My grandkids are coming for a visit over the 4th of July. He is 5 1/2 and she is 2 1/2.

He is really hard to figure out what makes his day. He doesn't care for building things, as in Legos. He does play with cars sometimes. He likes goopy goop, that's what they call Cornstarch and water. He loves marbles and sometimes magnets. He is reading at a post lst grade level.

I have a huge drawer in my kitchen I would love to fill up with some heatlhy snacks and play things for them. Playdoh, crayons, paper etc. But I don't think that really gets him too excited.

I thought about sewing them some aprons. I make most of their Pj's and some playclothes and that is a very special thing for my grandson especially. So I think he might get a kick of out his own grilling apron.,

Bubbles. Chalk. Paint. Squirt guns. Slip and Slide. Sprinklers. Wading pool. Puzzles. Dinosaurs. Cards. Kites. My kids love to muck with shaving cream, and Tazzie loves play doh too.

If you can go outside--

Do you have a sandbox? Use clean sand from Home Depot, add in some trucks and some sand tools--even the Dollar Store buckets/molds/shovels are fun. Add a bucket of water or some squirt bottles to dampen some of the sand to make it more likely to mold. Or, use a plastic, under-the-bed bin.

You can hang a giant sheet in the back yard and get three spray bottles (again, Dollar Stores are your friend). Do you have some liquid water color? Food coloring is ok, too. Mix with water, put in the bottles, and have him make a sheet that he can use for play at your house (after it dries, you can wash it with the stuff that sets in dye, and it'll stay). Good for when you need to make a fort but don't want to use a blanket. Strip him down or use a really good smock--washable liquid watercolor will come out. If you have a wading pool already out there, most of it will come off in that.

You could set up a camping area in your yard. Put up a couple of chairs, make a fake fire, borrow a tent and set it up. You can do that with a play tent, too, inside.

Bubbles are always good. Try blowing with 6 pack can holders (the plastic rings). Dump the solution (get a big bottle) into a dish pan--it won't tip, you can use other things to blow, and it just makes it more fun to have a big thing instead of the little bottle. Keep another bin of water handy, with a roll of paper towels--soap bubbles can sting and it's always good to wash hands after playing.

He and his sister can paint the house, the trees, the patio, the door, etc with a bucket of water and a large brush (like a cheap trim brush). It evaporates fast on a hot day and is lots of fun.

If you have to stay inside...

Do you have one of those old warming trays? The kind you set a casserole on on a buffet, and it keeps it warm? You can cover it with foil, put gardening gloves on your grandson, peel some crayons, and let him draw on the foil--the crayon will melt and then you can take a print onto white construction paper. Or, just put the paper on top of the foil-covered warming tray, and let him draw slowly on it. It has to get kinda hot, and gloves are absolutely needed. Mitts won't do, because he won't be able to hold the crayon well. He has to hold the crayon so that his hand is not resting on the tray. It's really pretty cool.

I think Moon Sand is fun--and so is making a BIG batch of deeply colored, nice-smelling playdough. Half the trick with 5yo boys is doing things in a big way. A double recipe of the homemade playdough that is cooked on the stove (be sure to add enough oil, too, and a packet of koolaid to get a good deep color and nice smell) is very fun, and quite impressive. Use a couple of plastic placemats under it. Add some plastic cookie cutters, some old kids' scissors, a garlic press, butter knife, etc. and play WITH him and his sister.

Store in a gallon-sized plastic ziplock.

You can make a cool construction toy for about 10 bucks if you take 10 pool noodles and cut them into 3 inch sections (measure and see--4 inches or 3.5 or whatever makes them come out somewhat even). They can be stacked, strung like giant beads or snakes, used to make patterns, sorted, etc. Use a few that are straight and some that look like flowers with rounded petals when they are cut. Again, the Dollar Store is your friend. Store them in a big plastic container with a lid. Use clothesline or light rope for stringing. The little one can help. THey float, too, so they are fun in a wading pool or in a big bin that you use for water play.

I'll think of more, later.

Edited by Chris in VA

With his grandparents, my 5 yr old likes mostly just playing with them. They play dress-up and tons of games they make up. I think mostly he enjoys having someone who is able to really focus on him and who is willing to do what he wants. :)

When we've gone to my parents' house I find that sometimes they have bought a ton of new stuff and that can be overwhelming at times. He likes helping my Dad in the garden. They spent a whole day carrying buckets of water to water flowers. He likes washing their cars with the hose. He likes helping Grandma cook. He likes looking at books with them.

My Dad taught my 5 yr old to play checkers at the beach this year and he loved it. They played checkers non-stop. He also has taught him to play Old Maid and Go Fish and Crazy Eights. All of which he loved.

My son loves playing in his mini kitchen. Have him help you bake cookies, muffins. If you have a wading pool fill it up with water and give him cups and such. My kids love this. We also do this in the tub, but it tends to get messier. Much better outside. Give him a jar and have him catch bugs to observe them. Books at his level.

You have gotten some good suggestions above :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

Well... right now my 5yo is enthralled with bionicles and cheap plastic army guys. He also likes to play card games like Uno and War.

5's love to help and to imagine..how about a chef's hat to go along with the apron? Or a waiter's tray?

Mine liked kitchen chemistry at 5...1.49 in a food coloring vial set, some baking soda, some vinegar, some sugar, some salt, a measuring cup, a few old baby food jars, measuring spoons, and an eyedropper. They'd have a blast at the kitchen sink for an hour to see what they could concoct.

Outside toys: stomp rocket http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_b?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=stomp+rocket

We had a monster soccer ball from Target or Walmart that was used a lot ..wasn't more than $10 but I haven't seen them yet this year here

Perhaps he's already made a fishing game with his magnet, but here are some homemade games that will give him memories and fun: http://www.highlightskids.com/Express/Crafts/h13craftsArchive_Games.asp

I can't think of anything new but my boys always liked, sand boxes, anything nerf, squirt guns, chalk, balls and bats, balls of any type, hippity hops(the balls with a handled that kids hop on), water balloons, kites, magnifying glass, jars with wholes on top to collect bugs, sprinklers.

Thanks everyone! There are some really great ideas posted here. I am saving the list and will get a trip to the dollar store before they come.

I did raise two sons and have lots of stuff saved from them..legos, tinker toys, puzzles, farm sets..

I have made him play doh, he doesn't like to color much, etc. .

So my grandson is very different from my kids.

Thank you again for you ideas and anyboyd else..feel free to add them!

Edited by KatieinMich

If you can go outside--

Do you have a sandbox? Use clean sand from Home Depot, add in some trucks and some sand tools--even the Dollar Store buckets/molds/shovels are fun. Add a bucket of water or some squirt bottles to dampen some of the sand to make it more likely to mold. Or, use a plastic, under-the-bed bin.

You can hang a giant sheet in the back yard and get three spray bottles (again, Dollar Stores are your friend). Do you have some liquid water color? Food coloring is ok, too. Mix with water, put in the bottles, and have him make a sheet that he can use for play at your house (after it dries, you can wash it with the stuff that sets in dye, and it'll stay). Good for when you need to make a fort but don't want to use a blanket. Strip him down or use a really good smock--washable liquid watercolor will come out. If you have a wading pool already out there, most of it will come off in that.

You could set up a camping area in your yard. Put up a couple of chairs, make a fake fire, borrow a tent and set it up. You can do that with a play tent, too, inside.

Bubbles are always good. Try blowing with 6 pack can holders (the plastic rings). Dump the solution (get a big bottle) into a dish pan--it won't tip, you can use other things to blow, and it just makes it more fun to have a big thing instead of the little bottle. Keep another bin of water handy, with a roll of paper towels--soap bubbles can sting and it's always good to wash hands after playing.

He and his sister can paint the house, the trees, the patio, the door, etc with a bucket of water and a large brush (like a cheap trim brush). It evaporates fast on a hot day and is lots of fun.

If you have to stay inside...

Do you have one of those old warming trays? The kind you set a casserole on on a buffet, and it keeps it warm? You can cover it with foil, put gardening gloves on your grandson, peel some crayons, and let him draw on the foil--the crayon will melt and then you can take a print onto white construction paper. Or, just put the paper on top of the foil-covered warming tray, and let him draw slowly on it. It has to get kinda hot, and gloves are absolutely needed. Mitts won't do, because he won't be able to hold the crayon well. He has to hold the crayon so that his hand is not resting on the tray. It's really pretty cool.

I think Moon Sand is fun--and so is making a BIG batch of deeply colored, nice-smelling playdough. Half the trick with 5yo boys is doing things in a big way. A double recipe of the homemade playdough that is cooked on the stove (be sure to add enough oil, too, and a packet of koolaid to get a good deep color and nice smell) is very fun, and quite impressive. Use a couple of plastic placemats under it. Add some plastic cookie cutters, some old kids' scissors, a garlic press, butter knife, etc. and play WITH him and his sister.

Store in a gallon-sized plastic ziplock.

You can make a cool construction toy for about 10 bucks if you take 10 pool noodles and cut them into 3 inch sections (measure and see--4 inches or 3.5 or whatever makes them come out somewhat even). They can be stacked, strung like giant beads or snakes, used to make patterns, sorted, etc. Use a few that are straight and some that look like flowers with rounded petals when they are cut. Again, the Dollar Store is your friend. Store them in a big plastic container with a lid. Use clothesline or light rope for stringing. The little one can help. THey float, too, so they are fun in a wading pool or in a big bin that you use for water play.

I'll think of more, later.

I love your ideas! Thank you so much!

No sandbox here.

I love the sheet idea, but what do you mean by liquid water coloring to apaint with?

I love the giant beads idea.

Wouldn't you know I just got rid of my electric warming tray! I do have a Crockpot wth a separate bottom, maybe we can get that to work.

My 5 year old is a huge train fan! He will play for hours with his trains. When playing outside, Gavin loves to play with construction toys - from the big Tonka trucks to little Matchbox-type construction toys. I can give him a bucket of water and he is in hog heaven outside in the dirt, lol. He also loves to collect bugs in jars.

my 5 year old doesn't play much. he can't stand mess. but he loves cutting paper.

He spends hours each day catching native finches. he puts seed into an bird cadge, hides and watches, watches for the birds to go in . catches them takes them out carefully and talks to them and then releases them. there is a whole colony of birds that are now his friend, they don't mind the catching bit, because of the free food. they all live in the nearby tree and even nest there.

My 5-year-old son loves trucks and tractors. Give him a corner of the garden to dig in with his toy equipment and he is happy. Also loves blocks--he has a large wooden set and will sit there building elaborate buildings, highways, bridges, etc. He also has one of those Skyrail sets--plastic track that you make a roller coaster that you send a marble down. He loves that and will work on that for hours.

My 5 year old is a huge train fan! He will play for hours with his trains. When playing outside, Gavin loves to play with construction toys - from the big Tonka trucks to little Matchbox-type construction toys. I can give him a bucket of water and he is in hog heaven outside in the dirt, lol. He also loves to collect bugs in jars.

Mine was still a train boy too, at 5.