Menu

Raise your hand if you screamed bloody murder while giving birth.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my first I was quiet due to an epidural that worked too well. So well, we opted to never get another one.

The second time, the dr thought I should get a shot of Nubain to "take off the edge" since I was going natural. I turned into a screaming manic that yelled at the top of my lungs for the next 45 mintues straight. I had no idea it was even me. And of course it was the busiest night in the hospital and every woman on the floor demanded an epidural because of me. OF course, when you have your first contraction at 1:00 at home and deliver a baby at 3:45, it's a little fast to handle the pain but the Nubain totally took away any ability I had to control the screaming. (or the attempt to kick the drs head thru the window or stab the nurse. I was not helpful.) Maybe some of those screamers are reacting to the drugs given and not the actual birth.

The third I didn't recieve anything and only screamed in that weird voice that made the nurse, who had just checked me and was leaving the room to get set up for the baby,come back in and say let me look at you again. She caught the baby as it finished popping out. I went from 7 cms to a baby in 1 minute. That hurt. :001_huh:

• 1 month later...
I am sick to death of screaming birth scenes. Saw Star Trek today. Screaming birth scene, check. Prince Caspian. Check.

Well... I remember my midwife telling me that I had to move the energy lower, get it out of my head. Sound was a good way of communicating the energy across all parts of my body. I remember it as a very low, kind of didgeridoo-like sound, but I wasn't really an objective listener.

and I used to work in labor and delivery. I've had three children WITHOUT ANY pain med and I wasn't a screamer. As a matter of fact, I had the doctor and nurse manager ask me to come to work for them after recovery so that I could teach the patients.

As a labor and delivery nurse I can tell you that there are many, many, many (did I emphasize that enough) women who scream out. Now whether that is due to pain or frustration, or something else, I don't know. Most women get epidurals, so (most) of them are pain-free. So, I guess they would be screaming due to frustration....or something. You know, sort of like a weightlifter yells when lifting a heavy weight. :confused: I say that because the screaming out for women who have epidurals is usally while pushing.

Yes, I screamed with my third - she was my first natural birth. In fact, I screamed so loud that the young woman in the room next to me asked the nurse if that's what she would sound like. The nurse said I was doing it unmedicated - she would have an epi.

I'm 19 weeks with #4 and planning on a home birth. I hope I don't scare the neighbors! :lol:

10lb 13oz baby boy and no screaming. I was induced on my due date. While waiting for the "action" to begin the woman across the hall screamed most the afternoon. I told my husband - being this was my first - that I had no idea what it was going to feel like, but if I screamed like that he had my permission to tell me to shut up.

Gee, I hate birth threads.

I SCREAMED. And moved my legs. Was told not to do either. It helped me, so I did. Who cares whether people scream or not. I mean...really? It hurts like...I'm not even going to say what it hurts like. And my first birth was one of the most horrible moments of my life, worse than anything before or after. If a little screaming helped, so be it. I wish more people screamed if they felt like it.

I seriously can't believe there are people who ROLL THEIR EYES if other women scream. What, you think they're not in pain? That they should just suck it up?

Sorry...this is a huge wound for me. Urg.

:iagree: I didn't read this entire thread. But yeah, my thoughts exactly. Wow, just wow.

No drugs for either baby.

First child -8'14" pulled in parking lot at 9:00 and she was born at 9:31. She was out quick and I didn't scream.

2nd child 8"12 Was in labor for 3 days!! When he finally decided to come, it was quite painful. I had numerous primal screams and did grab my husband's privates has hard as I could (really, I was trying to find his hand). I thought #2 would be easier than #1 since I had experienced birth and this one weighed less and was longer so should have been a better fit but didn't happen that way.

The dramatic, unrealistic scenes draw the most attention. What fun would it be to see a normal, physiological birth on TV??? *insert sarcasm here*

It's just like being in a room of women and hearing the horrific birth stories. No one wants to hear the stories of normal birth.

Now whether that is due to pain or frustration, or something else, I don't know.

Being unprepared and mental/emotional issues are huge factors.

and I used to work in labor and delivery. I've had three children WITHOUT ANY pain med and I wasn't a screamer. As a matter of fact, I had the doctor and nurse manager ask me to come to work for them after recovery so that I could teach the patients.

As a labor and delivery nurse I can tell you that there are many, many, many (did I emphasize that enough) women who scream out. Now whether that is due to pain or frustration, or something else, I don't know. Most women get epidurals, so (most) of them are pain-free. So, I guess they would be screaming due to frustration....or something. You know, sort of like a weightlifter yells when lifting a heavy weight. :confused: I say that because the screaming out for women who have epidurals is usally while pushing.

My epidural did not leave me pain free. Not. at. all.

The dramatic, unrealistic scenes draw the most attention. What fun would it be to see a normal, physiological birth on TV??? *insert sarcasm here*

It's just like being in a room of women and hearing the horrific birth stories. No one wants to hear the stories of normal birth.

Being unprepared and mental/emotional issues are huge factors.

I'm always quite happy to share my good birth story. No one ever wants to hear it...it was a c-section. Most people don't want to hear happy C-section stories. They want to hear how terrible they were.

Yup. I think, too, as I mentioned in another spin off thread, and perhaps somewhere in this thread, that many women make noises during birth that would be uncomfortable for the audience, because they would seem sexual.

Yes, I have screamed, with my 3rd son who was a 10 lb.-er and I had had horrible pelvic pain throughout the whole pregnancy. I didn't have any epidural or any other pain medication because the midwives assured me he was probably "about 8 lbs." (last time I listen to them!)

I think they deserved a good yell in their ears for that! ;)

I didn't scream. I was too busy concentrating on breathing correctly and recovering from each contraction. My children were all 6 pounders so I am not judging anyone. Just saying how it was for me. I did have medication though not epidurals. I definitely felt it. But it wasn't the worse pain I have ever felt either. My broken leg was more painful. Some of my migraines are more painful. One or two of my medication allergies or food poisonings were more painful too.

Gave birth 12 times and I never screamed either. I wouldn't think that would make it very "enjoyable" or emotionally connecting to hubby and baby if I were completely hysterical and out of control. And no, I don't take the epidural route. A friend told me something once that I haven't been able to wrap my head around yet. She said, "labor should be as close to natural as possible because the pain and struggles are "sanctifying" to your soul."

Whatever:tongue_smilie:maybe someday I'll get it.

Nope not a single scream either time, and no anesthesia either. I didn't even say a curse word. Nobody even realized I was in transition until I was "9 1/2, maybe 10" cm dilated, as the OB observed.

TV and movies are stupid.

ETA: Ya know what did make me scream was a sigmoidoscopy. According to the Dr, whenever the device touched the colon wall, it spasmed. I screamed like an animal. Next time I need that kind of test, it will be with sedation, you betcha.

Edited by kpupg