Menu

fluid retention help???

The doc says it is normal. . . sort of like triple digit heat is normal in the summer. Might be normal, but I dont have to like it. :glare:

I am perimenopausal and have been for a while now. And some months, like this one, I gain about 7 lbs of fluid weight. Any suggestions for either preventing it or getting rid of it? I know it is hormonal imbalance, heat of summer, etc., etc.. I know it will go away in a few days or so. But, it sure is uncomfortable when it is around.

I've increased water and herbal teas, decreased salt, increased fiber. I workout 6 days a week. Any other tricks of the trade? I've read that working out that often can cause fluid retention. I've read to increase number of days working out to combat fluid retention. So, I could use the collective wisdom of the hive. What works??

Thanks!!

The best way for me to keep water rentention at bay is to make sure I am VERY well hydrated (as in almost clear pee - sorry of the TMI). There are days when I feel like I am drinking enough, but I am not. If you are working out a lot, I bet you are not drinking enough to replace the fluid lost, so your body is retaining as much as it can. A quick trip to the potty will tell you if you are, in fact, taking in enough water.

Thanks guys. THis has been an ongoing battle for me. Doc said it is just the way my body does things. And summer arriving so abruptly didnt help this month. Guess it could be worse. I've got several gfs who get the raging migraines every month!

Cranberry juice or lemon juice added to water will help, but in my experience, there is nothing that works better than a total water fast. If you go on a fast of just water for 24-36 hours, that water will be gone. That's provided you are not pregnant of course. :)

I am in the same boat as you, this perimenopause thing is the pitts. I find drinking REAL raspberry tea, not the Lipton stuff from the store, all day helps me. I make a full kettle in the morning and drink away.

Hope you find some relief!

I take a natural water pill right before my period. it helps with the bloating. I also make sure I drink a lot of water. Someone recently told me too much ibuprofen can also cause water retention. :glare: So I cut back on that and it did help.

I also try to avoid starchy food and lots of bread during that time.

I have found in extremely hot water that if I drink heaps of water that I get very bloated. . you know the bloated when you move you can hear the water swishing around. . If I eat some salt straight, just a few lumps of rock salt ,that it really helps. It also helps with the headaches that come on extremely hot days. I am talking 40 oC +