Menu

Am I the only one tempted to buy workbooks from Sam's Club

I am always tempted to buy workbooks from Sam's Club from American Education Publishing and Scholastic:) I have brought some before. What is the opinion of these workbooks to be used as a supplement? I am just curious:) I appreciate the feedback.

If my girls were young I would but at 6th and 9th grade it wont work!

I love all those workbooks, great to use in the summer!

This is now an imprint of McGraw Hill. The Complete series of books are very good supplements. Every time we talk about them on these boards, quite a few people chime in about using them. I've used them for years and love most of them!

Time and Money is great for youngers.

Maps and Geography is great for map work and can be used multiple years.

Spanish is a good supplemental workbook.

Their science books all have great workbook pages to reinforce topics you might be covering. Even their history books are not bad (but no real workbook pages in those). Their book of Presidents is a great workbook..... I've always thought them very strong!

I bought the 4th grade book from Sam's for $8 - who could resist? I'm going to use the worksheets to supplement any areas that my DD needs extra practice, but not a primary book. I'm excited there is a Reading Comprehension unit on Native Americans (which we're covering) and some excellent writing exercises.

I am always tempted to buy workbooks from Sam's Club from American Education Publishing and Scholastic:) I have brought some before. What is the opinion of these workbooks to be used as a supplement? I am just curious:) I appreciate the feedback.

I buy these all the time. I use them in the car...at the doctors office...when I am too busy to teach and my 11 dd takes over for me with the little guys...

I pull out pages and let them enjoy without the pressure of our "real" curriculum. They think they are playing...shhhhh

~~Faithe

Luthien really enjoyed the Everything for Kindergarten workbook we picked up from Wal-mart. She liked the monster theme. It helped her with writing letters, and we used it along with games for K math.

I've picked her up a School Zone K-1st bridge math workbook for this summer. After that we'll be starting in on meatier seatwork, but I won't be past picking up more such workbooks if she sees and asks for them at the store.

I've used them for my youngers. I have a first grade and preschool "Comprehensive Curriculum" going at the moment actually. I wouldn't consider them meaty enough for an entire curriculum, but they do make a nice supplement and spare my poor printer some wear and tear. My kids really love workpages in the preschool through first grade years.

We love them, too. I Found Big Skills for Little Hands for dd4 last year for $8. I bought I Can Fold and I Can Cut. She has had a great time with them.(They have kept her busy when I needed her to be.:001_smile:) I have looked for the Spanish one for the last year and can not find it. I had ds do it several years ago as a primer for Spanish.

We used them before WTM, and now fill in our slow time with them. (Might call it summer work, only ours isn't in the summer - it's over the holiday season. LOL Same concept though.) Ds10 likes working systematically and having a completed book. (Or, more precisely, he enjoys calculating how many pages he should do every day to finish the book by a certain date. LOL)

We're not big on workbooks here, but sometimes that's what really gets the job done -- phonics, geography, math, for example. A few workbooks (The Complete Book of Maps and Geography) have actually been *fun*, and workbooks are a great source of inexpensive color maps/illustrations great for cutting up and using in lapbooks, creating flashcards, making your own games, etc.

Here's a great recent thread on the "Complete Book of..." series of workbooks available at Sam's Club: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100882. Enjoy! Warmly, Lori D.

I love these things and you really can't beat the price on them. It's always dangerous if I walk down the book isle at Sam's - there is ALWAYS something!!

I plan on incorporating more of them this summer - I got them last year and we used them on occassion but not often. I have 2 of each because my kids would fight and for $5.88 each no big deal.

I think I have the Spanish one which I might start my dd 9 off on this summer! Thanks for reminding me!!

I think if your kids love workbooks, they would be awesome to have! I had one child that loved workbooks when she was younger so I bought a lot of those and on the other side, I have 2 kids that just hate workbooks :tongue_smilie:

-Tia

I use workbooks on occasion. It gives my kids a break from our normal routine. I have not found any that I like this year though. We have Costco in our area.

My ds6 really likes themed books. I used a place value workbook as a supplement this year, and the first thing he would do is try to figure out how the picture at the top fit into the theme.