Menu

S/O American Idol, a vent

I am not a prude by any stretch, but am I the only one who thought the whole bikini girl thing was a little over the top and uncalled for? It's supposed to be a family show and I didn't really need my boys seeing that. :glare: I ended up having them leave the room until it was over and when the judge got up and did her thing, I was really glad that I had them leave!

This is one of the many times I was so glad to have a DVR. We just skipped right by it! But I agree, it's SUPPOSED to be a family show. True "Family shows" are few and far between these days.

It was a good "teachable moment" about discernment in a world that looks to crowd our children's minds and ultimately desensitze them.

What bothered me more than bikini girl and the lack of clothing was that Kara ripped her dress open because the producers pressured her to do it (they told her if she did it they would give a donation to her favorite charity). If she didn't feel comfortable, then stand up for that and DON'T bow to the pressure. That message bugged me WAY more than some bare skin.

Yes the whole thing was just unreal.

What bothered me more than bikini girl and the lack of clothing was that Kara ripped her dress open because the producers pressured her to do it (they told her if she did it they would give a donation to her favorite charity). If she didn't feel comfortable, then stand up for that and DON'T bow to the pressure. That message bugged me WAY more than some bare skin.

:iagree:

It really wasn't the bare skin that bugged me (I don't normally find women in bikinis offensive) but it was the message and the inappropriateness of the whole situation. It just seemed wrong.

Which part of the show did this happen in?? We missed the first tweny minutes or so and I was up and down quite a bit because I had other things to do so I obviously missed it. I'm just wondering if any of my kids were in the room when it was on. Did they actually explain on the show that she wasn't into ripping her clothes off but agreed after being pressured?

It's the one show we watch as a family. The only other thing we watch is the Waltons :) and we have the DVDs for that one.

It really wasn't the bare skin that bugged me (I don't normally find women in bikinis offensive) but it was the message and the inappropriateness of the whole situation. It just seemed wrong.

Bikinis don't bother me either, but I don't want my sons, or daughters for that matter, watching some woman in a tiny bikini dance around on stage and then another rip open her dress.

Which part of the show did this happen in?? We missed the first tweny minutes or so and I was up and down quite a bit because I had other things to do so I obviously missed it. I'm just wondering if any of my kids were in the room when it was on. Did they actually explain on the show that she wasn't into ripping her clothes off but agreed after being pressured?

It's the one show we watch as a family. The only other thing we watch is the Waltons :) and we have the DVDs for that one.

I don't remember but I am thinking it was @ half way through.

I was also bothered by Fergie's performance. She obviously said/did something inappropriate since they cut away and silenced it for about 20 secs. I don't know why performers like that are welcome when there are children in the audience! They couldn't censor it for them. There was a family member of Chris's right in the front row and she looked to be only 7 or so.

I thought it was completely inappropriate. I don't let my children watch the show period, but I was thinking of all the other children watching it, especially the ones in the audience. I thought about the Fergie censoring too...and how all the kids there saw and heard whatever it was we didn't. I didn't like that whole sexualized performance by her and the other people with her.

I didn't like that they had Kiss on either. Back in the day, that was the kind of music most parents shielded their children from and now they have it on the most popular family show on tv? Something is wacked that our standards have gone so low in such a short amount of time.

Also when all the male "idols" sang a group song, the content of the song was also very inappropriate (I forget the exact song they sang), but I felt embarrased for the guys singing (like Scott, Danny, and Kris).

I felt bad for Kris's family that was there (I believe they are professed christians) as I'm sure many moments were very uncomfortable for them and they didn't have the option of flipping the channel or volume.

I am not a prude by any stretch, but am I the only one who thought the whole bikini girl thing was a little over the top and uncalled for? It's supposed to be a family show and I didn't really need my boys seeing that. :glare: I ended up having them leave the room until it was over and when the judge got up and did her thing, I was really glad that I had them leave!

Oh bother. Our boys watched it in the other room.

I've never thought of it as a family show.

I don't watch the show, but I did see that clip replayed on tv, and it was obvious that the poor woman was embarrassed. Still, I would never consider a pop-singer contest a "family show" in the conservative way some people are defining it.

They're POP singers! Popular. Marketing. Sex sells. They'll sell it.