Menu

I did it, I wrote in a book!

This morning I dug out my copy of Little Dorrit, and a pencil.

After caressing the cover and smelling its new-ness, I grabbed hold of the front cover and bent it back. After a couple of deep breaths, I wrote the date on the title page. :svengo:

I had to go and make a cup of coffee before I could go any further.

Poised with my pencil, I turned to the first page. I picked out a few interesting words, and with a slightly trembling hand I underlined those words.

After not bursting into flames, I progressed to make a small note in the margin.

As the chapter progressed, I found it easier to jot down my thoughts, or mark interesting lines.

I noticed things more. The description of characters stood out more after I marked or noted something. The setting and scenery were not just things in the back ground, they stood out and added to the story.

I have read two chapters, and never so slowly have I read. It is quite a different feeling actually thinking about the story instead of just reading it.

Thank you everyone who said that I could do this. I feel like a different woman this afternoon. Next thing you know, I'll be cutting the tags off of pillows and mattress!

If you missed the thread in the K-8 Board Please help me overcome my phobia...writing in a books

Edited by Pooh Bear

:001_smile: Congratulations! Books are sacred to me as well, so I understand how hard this was for you! It is very liberating, however, once you take that first step. Sometimes notes in books are so valuable because it's your initial reaction to a description, dialogue, or use of a literary skill that are the purest. I sometimes have difficulty writing in my books; some are easier to mark up than others.

This morning I dug out my copy of Little Dorrit, and a pencil.

After caressing the cover and smelling its new-ness, I grabbed hold of the front cover and bent it back. After a couple of deep breaths, I wrote the date on the title page. :svengo:

Poised with my pencil, I turned to the first page. I picked out a few interesting words, and with a slightly trembling hand I underlined those words.

After not bursting into flames, I progressed to make a small note in the margin.

Sarah,

You are hilarious. And delightful. And funny.

There is nothing better than cracking open a new book, bending dog-ears, and writing in the margins. Books are meant to be enjoyed, marked, loved!! Good for you!

I only read the first half, but I've nearly had a coronary. I don't think I'm ready. lol

:iagree: The only kind of markings I can put in books are in textbook table of contents, in pencil, very light so it can be erased completely! I will write start and stop dates to mark what's to be done each quarter.

Sheri :)

Sarah,

You're funny. I'm glad that you are enjoying your book.

It's funny, when my kids watching Teaching Company professors teach, they comment about the way the fold back a well-loved copy of a text to quote from it. "Looks like they write in their books too, Mom."

Look out world, there's a new scribbler in our midst.

Janice

I just thought of another good reason to write in books. My mother was a serious annotator. I have many of her cookbooks, and I love seeing her notes, which she dated. If she made something for a party, she would note that. For instance, "Never again!" next to a recipe for a crab bisque.

So think of it this way: those notes are gifts to your children.

As the chapter progressed, I found it easier to jot down my thoughts, or mark interesting lines.

I noticed things more. The description of characters stood out more after I marked or noted something. The setting and scenery were not just things in the back ground, they stood out and added to the story.

I have read two chapters, and never so slowly have I read. It is quite a different feeling actually thinking about the story instead of just reading it.

Just reading your post is giving me the heebie-jeebies. ;)

Maybe one day I'll cross that line.

Maybe.