Menu

road trip....recommended audio books for boys ages 7 and 9?

RanchGirl

Hi,

Here's a few we've enjoyed:

Hank the Cowdog

By the Great Horn Spoon (set during the gold rush in California)

Sign of the Beaver

The Indian in the Cupboard

Any of the Jim Weiss cd's are great

Hope this helps a little. All of these are at our local library. I hope you might can find some.

Terri in NC

Hank the Cowdog, any and all of them.

The Hobbit

The Chronicles of Narnia (the series where Kenneth Branaugh reads the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe is great)

Winning His Spurs (DS prefers Jim Hodges)

In Freedom's Cause (DS prefers Jim Hodges)

Ribsy

Henry Huggins

Rascal

Black Beauty

All of the above heartily approved by DS.

My children LOVE the Freddy the Pig books on cd. They've listened to all the Freddy books we could get on cd from libraries in our area. Multiple times!

Mysterious Benedict Society

Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

Redwall (I got tired of these, so my boys and daughter had to listen before bed, etc.)

Robin Hood (This is another one my boys have listened to multiple times.)

And others have mentioned...

Jim Weiss cd's

Little House series

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Narnia series

yvonne

Harry Potter is always a hit for long trips; the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series is EXCELLENT, and there are five books in the series, so if you get the first two or three, you're pretty much set for the duration.

My boys (11 & almost 13) liked The Convicts by Iain Lawrence, but it's probably not a good choice for sensitive listeners as it's pretty gruesome at times.

Great adventure stories by Ridley Pearson:

Peter and the Starcatchers

Peter and the Shadow Thieves

Peter and the Secret of Rundoon

These really pull you in even if you're not an adventure story lover (me) and they have a familiarity to them as they are prequels to Peter Pan.....which makes it fun to feel you already know the characters.

Another great series from Ridley Pearson is Kingdom Keepers (they are set in Disneyworld).

Can't go wrong with Jim Weiss reading anything.....most of his CDs are pretty short, though, at about an hour each, so be sure to take several. He has a few that are longer....Old Yeller, Rascal, Swiss Family Robinson (this one is a dozen hours at least!), Kidnapped, and probably some others.

I love so many of the books mentioned here but had to add a new one we recently found. My younger set of kids (4, 8, and 10) and I recently listened to the BEST audiobook - The City Under the Back Steps by Evelyn Sibley Lampman. It is about two cousins (Craig and Jill) who are shrunk down to ant size and must learn to live with an ant colony. Very entertaining, informative, and so much fun! Most of the info on ants is true, too.

http://www.chinaberry.com/family/city-back-steps.shtml I bought our copy from Chinaberry and it was worth every penny!

The Whipping Boy!! One of our family favorites :)

Also any of the "Soup" series by Robert Newton Peck....I almost had to pull off the road when we were listening to "Soup Ahoy" I was laughing so hard.

blessings,

Rita

I second the Narnia series, and Little House on the Prairie series, also Jim Weiss has one on Queen Elizabeth and Sir Francis Drake...pirates and all that. Also, check out http://www.librivox.org, there are books in the public domain, read by volunteers, that you can download for free. We have loved Edith Nesbit's Railway Children, and Treasure Seekers, also Robinson Crusoe for Children, and there are tons more. Have a great trip!