Menu

I leave for France a week from tomorrow UPDATE about packing

Ginevra

This is amazing!! I thought I was a light packer, but apparently I am a mere beginner!! Please tell me, WHAT did you pack???

Anne,

Who obviously needs some packing lessons...

Gosh I really can't remember. I do remember that I brought way to many shirts.  I could have gotten by with 2 or maybe 3. 

But our backpacks were half filled when we came home even with things we bought there, which were coats and several shirts per kid. 

Dh and I both had 2 pair of shoes, but that was a need.  We should have had 1

1 laptop only because dh worked a bit

camera and iphone.   Really only need that iphone

diapers and pullups, should have just bought diapers there.  Not sure if I saw pullups in the stores there. 

We didn't bring pjs.  Everyone just slept in a regular shirt and undies.   Wear the shirt the next day.   Done. 

We all brought just a few shirts and shorts or pants. Wear them 2 or so days and wash

A few pairs of socks and undies and wash every few days

No shampoo or anything like that.   We had it at the hotels or airbnbs

We did bring meds 

We didn't bring any toys, books, or electronics for the kids at all.    They all were fine and lived.  We got toys on the plane from the airline, movies galore.  They didn't need it. 

This is just a great reminder for me as we are traveling again to pack light.  While we were there we always wished we had less stuff.  We traveled around a lot so maybe if you were in one location you wouldn't care so much.  Although the airport is a hassle regardless.  But there hasn't ever been a time when I wished for something that I left at home.  

Well we are all different and I am not high maintenance at all. I do do hair or makeup. Hairbrush was all I brought.

We did bring a laptop since dh did some work. But if we we were not working that wouldn't have come. Not sure why you would want a lap top and an ipad. Are you working while you are there?

And a camera? We brought one small camera and an iphone. But an iphone was enough really.

All that is just too much.

I get wanting to feel prepared, but you are not going to the middle of the forest. You can get stuff there if you need it. We bring enough undies until we can wash them. We do a mix of hotels and airbnbs just because for us that is easier to do laundry, although some hotels have laundry.

I make us all just bring regular clothes to sleep in. So the kids just slept in a t-shirt and a shorts or just the t-shirt and undies. Less to pack. The shirt they could wear in the day too.

Again enough socks until we do laundry. So if you only have one week where you don't have access I would bring enough for those 7 days.

7 Undies (or less. You can do laundry in the sink and hang to dry0

same with socks

Double wear pants and shirts just like at home

You are bringing a coat right? If it was cold we just layered up on things. t-shirt, sweater, jacket. Done. But I think you talked about bringing more than one coat.

Funny about the shoes, are shoes did get soaked in this crazy rain storm in Venice. dh and I had brought more than one pair, which I wished we hadn't and didn't really need.

We just dried all 7 pair of shoes in front of fans overnight, done.

But you could also buy some there if that were to happen. Sometimes I would rather just buy some things than to haul it all the way there and back to MAYBE use it.

Now with somethings I like to be prepared so that you are not looking for it at 2 am in the morning like meds. But other stuff I would just chance it and get it there if it needs.

I *may* have to work while I am there. Probably will. I am DH’s secretary and, not to bad-mouth him, but he cannot do a dang thing on the computer. I can’t do all the same things on my iPad as on my computer. And the iPad is crucial. That’s where my books are, that’s where my contacts are, that’s where I primarily use the internet, that’s where my calendar is, that’s even where my getting-around-france apps are. That’s where I would use my GPS as well.

Camera: to not have my full DSLR on a trip to France is unthinkable. And my two main lenses. Honestly - I wish I could bring my tripod and I am suffering a bit knowing I simply cannot. My iPone is good for some things, and I’m sure for quick snapshots, this is what I will use, but for my “real†photography, it has to be my Nikon.

I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m arguing with you. I appreciate the advice and I know it is better to travel light than to be bogged down with a billion things. But I also don’t want to set myself up for aggravation; i.e., “Geez, I’m freezing. Sure do wish I had that sweater I thought I didn’t need.â€

I *may* have to work while I am there. Probably will. I am DH’s secretary and, not to bad-mouth him, but he cannot do a dang thing on the computer. I can’t do all the same things on my iPad as on my computer. And the iPad is crucial. That’s where my books are, that’s where my contacts are, that’s where I primarily use the internet, that’s where my calendar is, that’s even where my getting-around-france apps are. That’s where I would use my GPS as well.

Camera: to not have my full DSLR on a trip to France is unthinkable. And my two main lenses. Honestly - I wish I could bring my tripod and I am suffering a bit knowing I simply cannot. My iPone is good for some things, and I’m sure for quick snapshots, this is what I will use, but for my “real†photography, it has to be my Nikon.

I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m arguing with you. I appreciate the advice and I know it is better to travel light than to be bogged down with a billion things. But I also don’t want to set myself up for aggravation; i.e., “Geez, I’m freezing. Sure do wish I had that sweater I thought I didn’t need.â€

No worries. 

It is your trip so do what is going to make you have a great time. 

I did bring a DSLR on one of our trips to hardly ever use it so that ended that. 

But we are all different seasons.   I am traveling with 5 kids in tow so the less I have to tow or carry the better since I am usually carrying a kid. 

• Like 1

Aim for the least you can bring. We ended a trip in Paris and we had been away for a long time. We each (2adults and 2 teens) had a large suitcase. It was an absolute nightmare on the underground and buses and then about 10 blocks walk and up 5 FLIGHTS of spiral stairs to get to out apartment. One dd passed out. My husband had to go up and down those 5 flights for 3 of us. I promised myself if I ever go to Paris again, it will only be with a backpack.

All that to say, pack as lightly as you can! And have a great time. There’s so much to see. Do be very vigilant. The guidebooks describe some of the usual ‘traps’ that theives use on the street and I saw 2 of those. One of our backpacks was opened while it was on our back in the Metro (nothing taken as we knew not to put anything in the outside pocket).

• Like 3

I understand packing light. But some of you just must not stink as much as I do. :mellow:

😠I think to myself, when I read these amazing light-packers, “They must be those sort of people who run hot.†I use a fair amount of clothing just staying warm unless I am, I don’t know, In the Carribean. I sleep bundled up like an Eskimo. I have socks that are specifically for sleeping because my feet get cold so easily. Even just my regular sleeping routine at home includes a fluffy extra blanket on my side of the bed - and we already have flannel sheets, a down comforter and a quilt. I was even considering bringing a pair of bedroom slippers because I wear them 100% of the time that I am home because of cold feet. But I guess I can forego the slippers on the idea that once I’m back from a days adventures, I will probably go directly to the bed.

Yeah, I read the lists and think about how I can wear pants a couple of days in a row, but not shirts. Not socks. I've travelled a lot, and washed clothes out in sinks. Only to have them still damp the next day. Or still not be able to get the smell out. Or... Yeah. So I try not to pack too much, but to spend a couple of weeks in Europe, unless I had a washer readily available, I'm pretty sure I couldn't do it all in a backpack.

• Like 1

😠I think to myself, when I read these amazing light-packers, “They must be those sort of people who run hot.†I use a fair amount of clothing just staying warm unless I am, I don’t know, In the Carribean. I sleep bundled up like an Eskimo. I have socks that are specifically for sleeping because my feet get cold so easily. Even just my regular sleeping routine at home includes a fluffy extra blanket on my side of the bed - and we already have flannel sheets, a down comforter and a quilt. I was even considering bringing a pair of bedroom slippers because I wear them 100% of the time that I am home because of cold feet. But I guess I can forego the slippers on the idea that once I’m back from a days adventures, I will probably go directly to the bed.

Make sure you have one of your sweaters on the plane, then. I always feel cold as soon as the a/c is on in the plane, then I boil when it's off while waiting on the tarmac. The problem with packing sweaters, is they just can't be compressed enough. They do make pretty good insulators for electronics, though. 

• Like 2

The key to washing things out overnight is having quick drying clothing. We hang dry all our clothes here so I know what dries in one night and what doesn't. Even so underwear is really small so I usually can bring enough of that to make it through the trip but there is no way I could sleep in a shirt and then wear it the next day. 

• Like 5

But our backpacks were half filled when we came home even with things we bought there, which were coats and several shirts per kid. 

We didn't bring pjs.  Everyone just slept in a regular shirt and undies.   Wear the shirt the next day.   Done. 

What kind of backpack are you talking about? More like a hiking type? Because I think of regular school backpacks, which we do use to travel sometimes, but no way on earth are we fitting coats for the family in 3 backpacks. One coat would consume one backpack, if it even fit. But I can definitely see how a 'real' backpack might be easier to manage, even if it was bigger and heavier. 

I consider myself low-maintenance (for appearance), but sleeping in a shirt and then wearing it the next day is not gonna happen. The wrinkles would give dh an aneurysm, plus clothes are meant to be fitted and jammies are meant to be loose  :)

We also travel with meds, which is maybe a gallon ziploc of stuff. My kids are prone to sudden illnesses. Plus, the one time I didn't pack one thing, oldest had an allergic reaction in the middle of Disney World. And we discovered that they sell Benadryl, but not in liquid form for the kid who had never successfully swallowed a pill. That was the same day youngest threw up on the steps of the Grand Floridian. Good times. 

Now I just pack our pharmacy.  

That was my thought - someone with a real camera is not going to want to leave it behind when going on a spectacular trip! 

Aren't tripods fairly standard? You can probably buy one there, if not bringing one lets you do carry-on only. Maybe dd can check on this before you arrive. She might even know someone who would let you just borrow theirs. 

We are ridiculously heavy packers. Apparently, I'd rather carry stuff than take time away to hunt it down and buy it. 

• Like 1

What kind of backpack are you talking about? More like a hiking type? Because I think of regular school backpacks, which we do use to travel sometimes, but no way on earth are we fitting coats for the family in 3 backpacks. One coat would consume one backpack, if it even fit. But I can definitely see how a 'real' backpack might be easier to manage, even if it was bigger and heavier. 

I consider myself low-maintenance (for appearance), but sleeping in a shirt and then wearing it the next day is not gonna happen. The wrinkles would give dh an aneurysm, plus clothes are meant to be fitted and jammies are meant to be loose  :)

We also travel with meds, which is maybe a gallon ziploc of stuff. My kids are prone to sudden illnesses. Plus, the one time I didn't pack one thing, oldest had an allergic reaction in the middle of Disney World. And we discovered that they sell Benadryl, but not in liquid form for the kid who had never successfully swallowed a pill. That was the same day youngest threw up on the steps of the Grand Floridian. Good times. 

Now I just pack our pharmacy.  

That was my thought - someone with a real camera is not going to want to leave it behind when going on a spectacular trip! 

Aren't tripods fairly standard? You can probably buy one there, if not bringing one lets you do carry-on only. Maybe dd can check on this before you arrive. She might even know someone who would let you just borrow theirs. 

We are ridiculously heavy packers. Apparently, I'd rather carry stuff than take time away to hunt it down and buy it. 

Nope just normal school backpacks.  

It was summer so no coats.  But if we were to bring them we would wear them. 

We also had access to laundry a lot. 

I just slept in a tank top and undies.  The tank I didn't wear the next day, but the kids did.  Kids slept in a tank and undies. I would wash it in and the morning and it would dry in the summer sun by night time. 

We did bring meds, but we have no allergies or anything so not tons.  

I do have a real camera, but haven't brought it on any of our trips but our first.  It just wasn't a need for me. 

Oh and I am someone that smells and is crazy cold. 

One of my favorite bloggers has done 7 and 9 week trips with kids in school backpacks.

http://rootofgood.com/packing-list-seven-week-overseas-trip-kids/

I have always been a light packer.  Even in college.  I did a trip abroad with people and there were some girls that were so high needs with their things.  We were on a trip for a month that we traveled around a lot.  One girl refused to have the same outfit.  And the hair needs.  She had so many suitcases, she couldn't carry them all.  She wanted all the guys to do it for her.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

Nope just normal school backpacks.

It was summer so no coats. But if we were to bring them we would wear them.

We also had access to laundry a lot.

I just slept in a tank top and undies. The tank I didn't wear the next day, but the kids did. Kids slept in a tank and undies. I would wash it in and the morning and it would dry in the summer sun by night time.

We did bring meds, but we have no allergies or anything so not tons.

I do have a real camera, but haven't brought it on any of our trips but our first. It just wasn't a need for me.

Oh and I am someone that smells and is crazy cold.

One of my favorite bloggers has done 7 and 9 week trips with kids in school backpacks.

http://rootofgood.com/packing-list-seven-week-overseas-trip-kids/

I have always been a light packer. Even in college. I did a trip abroad with people and there were some girls that were so high needs with their things. We were on a trip for a month that we traveled around a lot. One girl refused to have the same outfit. And the hair needs. She had so many suitcases, she couldn't carry them all. She wanted all the guys to do it for her.

Well, I just don’t believe this, because the two bolded things don’t go together to me, unless you are traveling to the tropics. 😉 The clothes I will bring for sleeping in are: one fleece jogging-style sweatshirt, one college sweatshirt (which I can also wear if it’s just too cold anywhere else, such as airplane) and a pair of fleece sweatpants. I won’t wear any of those items as day clothes (not in France anyway, it’s gauche), except the college sweatshirt if I cannot avoid it.

With that said, I am most grateful for this whole conversation because it is helping me enormously to choose well. I have decided against wearing the long coat in favor of bringing the light anti-theft jacket and a medium nylon coat, because these two can be worn together if more warmth is needed, or it can pack up if not needed. The theft-proof jacket is terrific because I can carry my “purse things†in it and thus will not need my backpack while out adventuring; I can carry just my camera case. It has a hood, so it will help keep me dry if it rains (won’t need an umbrella) and will protect me if it’s windy (won’t need a hat).

So thank you, even if I can’t imagine taking just a school-style backpack. I will be sure to check back in and tell you all if I was able to not have a checked bag and how well that worked.

P.S. I agree with having medicines. I have never been sorry when I have brought them, only sorry when I didn’t. Sometimes it’s difficult or expensive by far to get what you need on vacation, especially if something arises suddenly. I have IBS...Gas X is one thing that must go with me anywhere because it’s pretty darn lousy to be on vacation, doubled up with a bloated belly.

• Like 1

We were in Europe in the summer so that is why. Lots of the places with air, didn't really cool an apartment or hotel.  There was record heat.  But at home even in the bitter winter I don't sleep in more than a tee and shorts.  I hate pjs.  I couldn't sleep in pants and a heavy shirt.  I have to have not much on and lots and lots of blankets.   Odd I know, but that is how I like it. 

Your jacket sounds awesome.  I wish I would buy one. 

I can't wait to hear about your trip.   

I hope you have a great time. 

• Like 1

We were in Europe in the summer so that is why. Lots of the places with air, didn't really cool an apartment or hotel. There was record heat. But at home even in the bitter winter I don't sleep in more than a tee and shorts. I hate pjs. I couldn't sleep in pants and a heavy shirt. I have to have not much on and lots and lots of blankets. Odd I know, but that is how I like it.

Your jacket sounds awesome. I wish I would buy one.

I can't wait to hear about your trip.

I hope you have a great time.

My husband wishes I would do this, lol! My sleeping clothes are practically a chastity belt.

• Like 3

If you don't travel a lot of look at YouTube for packing videos. My husband travels constantly and is A PRO at packing. Technique makes a huge difference so 30 minutes of videos will likely free up a ton of space.

This is tremendously good advice, so thank you for it. I just watched a downright amazing video (by DariaDaria - don’t know who that is, but figured give her credit) on packing everything for a two-week trip to ICELAND and the Farro Islands in a backpack. It was fascinating to watch! (She even brought a curling iron, so heh, cool!)

• Like 3

See, I'm a bit high maintenance, too , and I've done the "don't-pack-too-much" thing at times, and I've regretted it. Hot/cold issues for me as well. Plus hair and make-up.

This is when I bemoan the fact that I'm not outrageously wealthy and I don't have servants a la Downton Abbey who pack what I want and haul it from place to place for me. I just show up looking lovely and fresh, carrying nothing but my parasol.

:cool:

• Like 3

This is tremendously good advice, so thank you for it. I just watched a downright amazing video (by DariaDaria - don’t know who that is, but figured give her credit) on packing everything for a two-week trip to ICELAND and the Farro Islands in a backpack. It was fascinating to watch! (She even brought a curling iron, so heh, cool!)

Oh off to look. 

I love those backpacks that open fully.  I have meant to buy the packing cubes.  I think they really change everything. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here’s an update from Montpellier, France:

Later, I will detail what I did and did not pack, since this thread turned sort of into an effective packing thread, not that I’m sorry about that. But since I’m somewhat bored at the moment and am not quite ready to go to sleep, I thought I would mention a couple of things.

First, a huge, shout-out THANK YOU for all who encouraged not having a full suitcase (checked luggage) in addition to carry-on. It seriously would have been HELL during times I have travelled between locations - and I have not even finished doing that. I took a rolling carry-on and a backpack (of the school backpack type).

Second, I got a huge lucky break on my which-coat-to-bring dilemma. I stopped into a Macy’s the day before leaving and found a good, mid-weight, hip-length nylon insulated red coat with a hood on clearance. Folks - this coat was only seventeen dollars! It was exactly the right thing. Paris was freezing (literally zero degrees C) and snowy/rainy. The hood was crucial. The length was perfect; my long coat would have been dragging through the airport when I was sweating from anxiety.

Third, the splendid, perfect item I brought so far seems to be the fleece-lined leggings. I brought them to be PJ pants after this discussion led to me jettisoning the sweats I wanted to bring. But they went as a second layer under my also-perfect Jag pull-on jeans to combat the freezing Paris weather.

Fourth, glad I brought three scarves. Everyone in France wears scarves and they help me feel less style-deprived while I am getting by on a lot fewer clothing choices than I really wish I had.

Fifth, ever so glad I brought only two pair of shoes and no heels. I have logged 7-8.5 miles of walking daily. Dress shoes would have been utterly worthless in Paris and it is doubtful I would use them at all even now that I am in warmer weather. So that was a big win.

My only sigh is that what I haven’t worn yet shows no strong likelihood of being worn soon, because it’s just not warm at all really. It’s warmer here in the south, but I still must wear one of my two cardigans over my tank tops (2) or else wear one of two longsleeved shirts that are all I have worn so far. Tired of those. And I am still freezing for bed because I didn’t bring sweatpants/sweatshirts at all. I brought the leggings and an underarmour jogging shirt to sleep in.

So, that got longer than I expected, heh. I hope it doesn’t sound like I think I am the only person who has ever traveled before; I don’t mean for that to happen. This thread might help someone else who is planning a trip, though, so thanks for indulging me. I’m a little lonely and bored at the moment and, in the absence of Dill Pickle Chips, I will use writing as addicitve meditation. :)

• Like 10

oh I'm imagining how adorably chic you look in your red coat & scarves!

Can you go shopping & buy yourself a cute sweater? I love having clothing from a trip.

I might. I walked around today and there are sooooo many shops and boutiques. Very adorable. My favorite window-shop that I saw today was a Chocolatier with Easter bunnies and chickens and big chocolate eggs in the window. They were so beautiful!

But lots of pretty clothing, too!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It is so hard to pack not knowing what the weather will really be like while you are there.  

It sounds like you did a pretty good job packing and scored some major wins on what to bring.  I try to remember that for the future.  

I hope you had a great time.  I can't wait to hear more.  

1 hour ago, MomsintheGarden said:

I "saw" you on another thread, so here's a request for an update.  :)

Sure. I worried I might be annoying people with talking about France. :)

It was sooooo good for me to do this trip! So many things about the way this trip was set up worked. I liked that I was partially traveling alone, though not completely alone because of DD. So, it was like the best of both worlds; traveling with others can wear on me, but traveling utterly alone is lonely. It was terrific mental stimulation for me. I don’t realize how badly I am lacking it until I am in a position to get it. I liked that things happened every day. I get stuck in a rut here where nothing much happens. 

Packing-wise, when I came home I took detailed notes about everything I packed. I wrote it in my journal, ostensibly so I can refer to it if I take another intl. trip. I barely wore anything for warmer weather; it was cold most of the time, although I couldn’t really have predicted this. I bought a sweater and a shirt in Montpellier because I was so tired of my two long sleeved shirts. I also had a sundress that I did not wear at all. If I had known certain things, though, that would have gotten worn. If my leggins I packed had been black, I could have worn them with the dress and my black boots. A lot of women there wore black nylons or leggings with short black boots and a dress; it was a common look. I had a dressy sleeveless top that I never wore. The black slacks I brought could have been better swapped for black jeans, or else nixed altogether. The only day I wore them was the day I had washed both jeans and they were not through air-drying. My notion was to wear them if I went somewhere dressier and for which jeans would have been wrong, but that didn’t happen and, realistically, it wasn’t very probable.

I was mostly satisfied with the way I packed hygiene/beauty/hair stuff. I did not bring a hair dryer because each place I stayed had one, but if doing it again, I would try to have a small travel dryer. The loaners had NO umph and it was practically the same as air-drying my thick hair. For the same reason, I would rather pack a full-sized hair brush. My little travel hairbrush was pretty kooky for my thick hair. It felt so inadequate! I packed a little container of coconut oil and used that for a few different purposes. I recommend that. 

• Like 6