Menu

Wooden Blocks - Kapla or Keva

I am thinking about getting my son some blocks for Christmas. I know that I have seen Kapla and Keva mentioned before. Does anyone have any experience of one over the other? Is there another brand that you prefer over both of these? Anything your sons like playing with the blocks that I should consider getting? My son will be 6 in January and loves building things so I think he will like a large set of blocks.

Thanks.

Jan

I am thinking about getting my son some blocks for Christmas. I know that I have seen Kapla and Keva mentioned before. Does anyone have any experience of one over the other? Is there another brand that you prefer over both of these? Anything your sons like playing with the blocks that I should consider getting? My son will be 6 in January and loves building things so I think he will like a large set of blocks.

Thanks.

Jan

Keva! Made of maple, made in the US, cheaper than Kapla.

I love our Kapla's, but if I were doing new, I'd do the biggest set of Keva's I could afford.

...cheaper than Kapla...

I didn't find that to be true when I was in the market for these. The list prices were almost exactly the same, and I was able to find Kaplas on sale, so much cheaper. I've been very happy with them (though likely I would have been with Keva as well).

I was just thinking about buying some regular wood blocks (the big ones in nursery schools, etc) when I saw this thread. Can anyone enlighten me about the differences between regular blocks and Kapla/Keva (besides the obvious size difference)? I saw some pretty amazing pix of intricate kapla block construction --are they much harder to use than regular blocks? I am wondering if everything would collapse when my (not always careful) dc got involved. BTW, my dc are both 8 -- and I am tired of picking up teensy pieces of lego and k'nex.

I have both the nursery school unit blocks and a classroom sized set of Kevas.

My 2 year old has the unit blocks in her bedroom, but she rarely plays with them.

We have one bucket of Kevas in the den, one in the playroom, and one in my 14 year old's room. They play with the Kevas several times a day.

My 2 year old can build stables and stalls by herself, and she will direct/command a big kid to make her more intricate designs. "No, Nanny, tiny HOUSE, big PLATFORM!"

It might depend on the kid, though. I had a friend's 4 and 6 year old over, and they were frustrated with the Kevas.

If I were you, I'd go to a big toy store with a play area, and see which toys your child gravitates to more.

This is OT but pretty funny. Last year I bought Kapla blocks through the mail for my son for Christmas. Well one day they came in the mail and I wasn't home so they left the box on my front porch. I didn't realize this until later when I looked out and saw chewed up box and blocks all over my front steps. My crazy 1 year old lab had gotten to the box before me. I had to pick up 200 blocks from the mud and tons of shredded cardboard. Let's just say that the dog almost died that day.

This is OT but pretty funny. Last year I bought Kapla blocks through the mail for my son for Christmas. Well one day they came in the mail and I wasn't home so they left the box on my front porch. I didn't realize this until later when I looked out and saw chewed up box and blocks all over my front steps. My crazy 1 year old lab had gotten to the box before me. I had to pick up 200 blocks from the mud and tons of shredded cardboard. Let's just say that the dog almost died that day.

That is funny. I am considering the 200 block set and when I showed it to my husband his first response was "How many dog treats are in the box?". He is a little worried that our dogs might try to chew the blocks.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Jan

I was just thinking about buying some regular wood blocks (the big ones in nursery schools, etc) when I saw this thread. Can anyone enlighten me about the differences between regular blocks and Kapla/Keva (besides the obvious size difference)? I saw some pretty amazing pix of intricate kapla block construction --are they much harder to use than regular blocks? I am wondering if everything would collapse when my (not always careful) dc got involved. BTW, my dc are both 8 -- and I am tired of picking up teensy pieces of lego and k'nex.

Kapla/Keva for sure. My 8 yo plays with them every single day. He hasn't played with "regular" blocks in forever.

Get as many as you can afford. We have about 700 and wish we had more!

Margaret

• 4 months later...
Guest bluehenks

Has anyone mixed the sets? I was looking an buying some of each from craigslist and ebay...so as to get a lot at the best price. Do you know if they are compatible: exaxt same size? It occurs to me now that the different weight of the Kapla pine and the Keva maple might present imcompatibility. Would love comments form anyone with first hand experience. Thanks!

Has anyone mixed the sets? I was looking an buying some of each from craigslist and ebay...so as to get a lot at the best price. Do you know if they are compatible: exaxt same size? It occurs to me now that the different weight of the Kapla pine and the Keva maple might present imcompatibility. Would love comments form anyone with first hand experience. Thanks!

Keva says you can:

http://www.kevaplanks.com/articles.asp?id=149

If I were you, I'd go to a big toy store with a play area, and see which toys your child gravitates to more.

Or a children's museum. We "test-drove" Kaplas at a children's museum before buying them. I bought new sets on ebay for a good price. That was a couple of years ago though.

Or a children's museum. We "test-drove" Kaplas at a children's museum before buying them. I bought new sets on ebay for a good price. That was a couple of years ago though.

We did the same, but with Keva Planks. I'll second this recommendation.