Menu

Recommendations for best home waxing product for hair removal

VaKim

DD, age 22, has some really coarse, thick chin hair. She has recently gotten it waxed a couple times in a salon, but it grows so fast that this will be too expensive to do constantly. I was wondering if any of you could recommend a brand of wax to use at home that would be easy and effective. Any other advice would be appreciated as well. Something I can get from Amazon would be best, as our dinky little town has very few stores and not much in them. 

Buy some Inositol (a supplement that lowers testosterone and hair growth), and have her evaluated for PCOS.

Also consider an epilator instead of wax.  They're comparatively inexpensive, and you can use them when hair growth is half as long as it needs to be to wax - important when hairs are coarse, dark, and visible.  She could (carefully) pull her hair back twice a week and use the epilator on her face, and the hairs would probably never get visible again.

Otherwise, tweezerman tweezers are worth the investment.

• Like 2

Also consider an epilator instead of wax.  They're comparatively inexpensive, and you can use them when hair growth is half as long as it needs to be to wax - important when hairs are coarse, dark, and visible.  She could (carefully) pull her hair back twice a week and use the epilator on her face, and the hairs would probably never get visible again.

Otherwise, tweezerman tweezers are worth the investment.

Ditto this.  I use an epilator a couple times a week to keep hair on my face to a minimum.  I used to wax, but I hated having to let it grow out in between waxing.  It can be a bit painful until you get used to it, but no more so than waxing.  And my skin tolerates the epilator so much more than waxing.  My skin is red for hours after waxing, but I rarely have any redness after using the epilator.  

• Like 1

I think the difference has to do with cords and how many rollers there are (how much hair it rips in one pass).

I'd start with a cheap, wired one.  Wired because batteries burn out quickly.  Cheap because she might hate it, and you don't want to cover as much area on the face at one time as you would for say, the legs.  A thin strip is much better for the upper lip, for example.

• Like 1

I am sort of fuzzy in general, with a couple of strong dark hairs on my chin. I have used wax (the kind you warm up in the microwave) on my chin and arms (affective but messy.)  I have also used the spring thing (horrible).  

I am currently using this - Epilator.  I love that thing.  I have a couple dark chin hairs and it is nice to not have to squint and angle my head just right to catch them with the tweezers.  I can just zoom across my chin and get 'em.  If I do it once a week or so, it really doesn't hurt that bad, and it seems like I have less hair than i used to.  I have been using it for over a year and it is still going strong.  

But it does hurt, especially the first few times.  Device of Torture!!  ( I have considered using it on my legs, but I'm too scared)  And I used to have redness and a pimple or two after, but not any more.  

• Like 2

I am sort of fuzzy in general, with a couple of strong dark hairs on my chin. I have used wax (the kind you warm up in the microwave) on my chin and arms (affective but messy.)  I have also used the spring thing (horrible).  

I am currently using this - Epilator.  I love that thing.  I have a couple dark chin hairs and it is nice to not have to squint and angle my head just right to catch them with the tweezers.  I can just zoom across my chin and get 'em.  If I do it once a week or so, it really doesn't hurt that bad, and it seems like I have less hair than i used to.  I have been using it for over a year and it is still going strong.  

But it does hurt, especially the first few times.  Device of Torture!!  ( I have considered using it on my legs, but I'm too scared)  And I used to have redness and a pimple or two after, but not any more.  

I have one very similar to this but that also works in the bath.  So it is a Braun WET DRY model.  If she is going to try on her legs also, I think it is a little less painful in a warm bath.  CAUTION, try just little areas at a time as you are getting use to it.  So for the legs, I would start with shaving, and then in a warm bath, start on day two and then try using it every day or so on small areas as she works up a tolerance.   I've been using mine for many, many years.   Wendy not in HI, you might want to try the WET model in the tub and see if you can tolerate it that way.  

I also second one of the first posters about wax, I use the GiGI hard wax in a warmer for my daughter to wax her unibrow :)   works great.  No strips or anything needed.  I warm it up in the warmer, apply it directly with the small stick (don't apply it too hot), let it dry, then pull off quickly.  Easy peasy.

• Like 1

My Dd likes conair satiny smooth all in one groomer,available at Amazon.

The has various attachments (one for face)as well.

She has had it for a few years now and is rechargeable and she said it never hurt her.

Go slow with it,do legs first and then try other areas.