Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW30: come sail away!

Robin M

Do alligators live in the ocean?

Nan

Not usually, but every year several seem to get caught in currents that pull them from waterways or marshes into ocean areas. SC has some every year & I know other nearby states see the same thing.

• Like 9

I've been traveling with family but I'm back now. My current read is still Michener's Hawaii, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm taking lots of rabbit trails on this one, plus it's over 1000 pages so I'm only halfway through. It worked for the seafaring week and now I guess it works for this week's theme too, if the sailors are the first people to arrive on Hawaii and the missionaries who came later via a frightful route around Cape Horn.

The book has a section in which the one of the Hawaiian characters (Keoki) explains to the main missionary (Abner) why the Hawaiians, who don't understand the Bible very well at that point, love the section of Genesis they call "The Begats." He says it is very much like their own history, in which kahunas memorize their lineages going back 800-1000 years, which Abner doesn't really believe, but he duly writes it down and sends it to Yale as an example of Hawaiian mythology. The reason for writing it is that Keoki believes his own son, who is getting too old to memorize something so long (exiting the poll-parrot stage?), will need it written down as he has spent the time he would spend otherwise memorizing oral histories on learning English and reading the Bible.

Anyway, while I was reading about the connection between the kahunas' memorizations of family history, and the "begats" section of Genesis, I was reminded of another thing I've been reading aloud to the kids. We've been reading Lord of The Rings since the winter (with many rabbit trails/discussion as well) and if you're familiar with it, you may remember the Long List of the Ents. I've been thinking a lot about the historical importance of memorizing oral histories.

Stacia, I put The Last Policeman on hold at the library and am looking forward to it. I'm sort of intrigued by someone who would try and solve a mysterious crime when the end of the world is nigh! I admit I would probably just (reluctantly) let it go to spend time with friends and family, but a part of me likes to think if I were on my own in the world I would pursue it as a last act of humanity.

M--, I added The Elementals to my Amazon cart. I also read a lot of horror as an adolescent and teen, mostly Stephen king, and I too felt I outgrew it a bit. I have been working on an extended version of The Stand (400 extra pages) when I have time, but really the book that drew me back into the genre is Danielewski's House of Leaves. I wasn't just interested in something so avant garde (although that was a large pull too) but also in a frightening book with more depth, so your recommendation got me excited about The Elementals.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 11

I've been traveling with family but I'm back now. My current read is still Michener's Hawaii, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm taking lots of rabbit trails on this one, plus it's over 1000 pages so I'm only halfway through. It worked for the seafaring week and now I guess it works for this week's theme too, if the sailors are the first people to arrive on Hawaii and the missionaries who came later via a frightful route around Cape Horn.

The book has a section in which the one of the Hawaiian characters (Keoki) explains to the main missionary (Abner) why the Hawaiians, who don't understand the Bible very well at that point, love the section of Genesis they call "The Begats." He says it is very much like their own history, in which kahunas memorize their lineages going back 800-1000 years, which Abner doesn't really believe, but he duly writes it down and sends it to Yale as an example of Hawaiian mythology. The reason for writing it is that Keoki believes his own son, who is getting too old to memorize something so long (exiting the poll-parrot stage?), will need it written down as he has spent the time he would spend otherwise memorizing oral histories on learning English and reading the Bible.

Anyway, while I was reading about the connection between the kahunas' memorizations of family history, and the "begats" section of Genesis, I was reminded of another thing I've been reading aloud to the kids. We've been reading Lord of The Rings since the winter (with many rabbit trails/discussion as well) and if you're familiar with it, you may remember the Long List of the Ents. I've been thinking a lot about the historical importance of memorizing oral histories.

I,ve thought about this. I grew up with LotR as a central part of my childhood, in a place where stories are told for entertainment and to instruct, so of course I thought about it. My solution to the Ent List problem is to memorize some ballads, tell fairytales, make more of an effort to tell stories about our ancestors, and create some new ones. I was a little taken aback when I asked my nephews what story they wanted to hear on a car ride this spring and they requested a Bad Bill story. I knew stories about my now saintly husband,s childhood were popular but Bad Bill lol?

Nan

• Like 8

We're going home today! There was a scary morning last week when a blocked airway led to a dangerous build-up of carbon dioxide, but other than that, Abby's recovery has been fairly smooth. The past couple of days she has just had tummy troubles which means she wants to be held and walked a lot as she fusses, but I'll take that! Recovery time at home is 6 weeks and I think we deserve a little time off after all the stress. So we will not be participating in all the activities starting up in August or starting school for real until September. I'm looking forward to having a little more mental power available for reading! (Hah! Well, I say that now, but I still have a baby and 8 other kids!)

I have been very scattered here in the hospital, so I am still in the middle of Cruise of the Arctic Star and about halfway through The Little World Of Don Camillo, which I am enjoying very much. (Thank you, VC and Kareni.) We also watched A River Runs Through It last night when we were taking turns walking the baby back and forth by her crib( because she was tethered by the wires). I don't watch many movies, but I enjoyed this one. It's very rare for me to be able to watch a movie from beginning to end.

Am enjoying catching up on last week's thread and this week's, too! As far as Faulkner goes, I have only read As I Lay Dying and A Rose for Emily, which was easily one of the creepiest stories I have ever read, and I, too, was assigned it as a teenager. Faulkner's house is only about an hour and a half away from us, but I have only visited once, a long time ago when we were not living here but visiting my inlaws. I visit his town much more often... there are a collection of excellent book stores on the square! And then my kids like to be taken to the candy shop down the street. As long as you don't go on a football weekend (Ole Miss is located there, too) it's a great day trip for a nerdy family. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 10

We're going home today!  ...

Yay!  I hope that memories of the scary times will soon fade and that Abby will have smooth sailing ahead.  (Note the use of this week's theme.)

... I am ... about halfway through The Little World Of Don Camillo, which I am enjoying very much. (Thank you, VC and Kareni.)

I'm glad you're enjoying it.  Sometimes I feel like a Don Camillo pusher....

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 8

Angela, Great news!!!

I finished listening to A Fountain Filled with Blood last night. It's the second in the Reverend Claire Ferguson series by Julia Spencer Fleming. I wasn't a huge fan of the first because it was a bit repetitive but really enjoyed this one. The same narrator but not nearly as irritating. ;) I may actually chose to listen to these! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10209465-a-fountain-filled-with-blood

I started listening to Shades of Milk and Honey https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8697507-shades-of-milk-and-honey?ac=1&from_search=true which Jenn is also reading. So far I really like it.

As some of you can tell by all the audio books I am busy sewing. I'm on my final push to finish my quilt. I need to have it ready for a quilt display at the beginning of September. I haven't completed a big quilt in years so have had to look up binding how to directions, decided to completely make it by hand.

• Like 11

South Carolina has alligators?!? How far north do they go?

Nan

Yes, SC has alligators! I lived there some as a child &, realistically, it was just a way of life. (Moms give warnings to watch out for gators when we'd all hop on our bikes to head out, warn us not to wade in the lake, etc....) Almost every neighborhood had a lake (interconnected to other area lakes & waters) & it was pretty routine to end up with an alligator in the neighborhood lake. And, I think they're pretty much regular fixtures on all the golf courses. Of course, I'm speaking of the coastal/lowland areas, don't know how far inland they go. When I'm in SC (multiple times a year, usually, visiting my sister & my parents' beach house), I try to be aware of my surroundings if I'm in an area where there might be gators. I have no interest in visiting Charles Towne Landing ever again after having taking my dc there when they were still fairly young. Too many gators & swampy areas where I felt they were lurking [didn't see them in the swampy areas, but did see plenty around the small lakes], but I felt uneasy walking around there. Felt like I was in an area where there were too many gators. I don't usually get freaked out about that, but I felt really uncomfortable there.

A couple years ago at the beach where my parents have a house, an alligator was on the beach. I guess he (or she) was washed around by the tides from the inland waterway or marshes (or sometimes, according to authorities, ones coming up from other areas get disoriented & end up on the ocean side). The dumb thing is how many people apparently don't realize that an alligator is a wild animal & so people were around it, taking photos, messing with it, playing in the water right beside it, etc.... Alligators can run/move very quickly & I have no desire to intrude on a space they're in or aggravate them. I will vacate the area. They did have alligator animal control folks come get the gator from the beach & relocate it over to the swampy/river areas where they normally congregate.

My sister has a pool in her yard & she has a very light-colored pool liner in it because she wants to be able to see if anything gets in there (esp. snakes or alligators). A dark liner (which seems to be popular) would help camouflage the reptiles. She does this because alligators can climb fences, as well as trees.

Here's one ambitious, yet friendly ;) , SC alligator for you:

Very polite alligator visits its human neighbors, tries to ring the doorbell

I have no idea how far north up the east coast that alligators reside.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 9

Today I'm grateful NOT to live in South Carolina or Florida or anywhere with tree-climbing, doorbell ringing alligators.  I'm also grateful for my metal security door since I suspect that alligators, unlike vampires, would not wait for an invitation to enter.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Trees? I guess why not, considering the other animals that climb them, but this isn,t something that would have occurred to me, either. This puts a whole new spin on "And when you look up, they drop on you.".

Ok, Jane, do you have alligators, too?

I am heartily greatful that this was one warning I did not have to give her boys when they went out to play in the lake. Leeches and water snakes and snapping turtles were bad enough. Speaking of which, I had a giant snapper chase me a few weeks ago when I was swimming. I have never swum so fast in my life. It was between me and land, too, and could move much faster than me.

Nan

• Like 9

I am heartily greatful that this was one warning I did not have to give her boys when they went out to play in the lake. Leeches and water snakes and snapping turtles were bad enough. Speaking of which, I had a giant snapper chase me a few weeks ago when I was swimming. I have never swum so fast in my life. It was between me and land, too, and could move much faster than me.

Nan

Glad you're okay! I'll let the kids know your story because they've been making notebooks for Minn of the Mississippi and are interested in snapping turtles right now, though I doubt they'd want to see one really closely in the wild!

• Like 8

This afternoon I finished the contemporary romance Sleepless in Manhattan (From Manhattan With Love) by Sarah Morgan; it was an enjoyable read.  (Some adult content)

"Cool, calm and competent, events planner Paige Walker loves a challenge. After a childhood spent in and out of hospitals, she’s now determined to prove herself—and where better to take the world by storm than Manhattan? But when Paige loses the job she loves, she must face her biggest challenge of all—going it alone.

Except launching her own events company is nothing compared to hiding her outrageous crush on Jake Romano—her brother’s best friend, New York’s most in-demand date and the only man to break her heart. When Jake offers Paige’s fledgling company a big chance, their still-sizzling chemistry starts giving her sleepless nights. But can she convince the man who trusts no one to take a chance on forever?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Glad you're okay! I'll let the kids know your story because they've been making notebooks for Minn of the Mississippi and are interested in snapping turtles right now, though I doubt they'd want to see one really closely in the wild!

I told my middle one and he said yah, they are curious. Tell your children the have really long necks which make it hard to pick them up. To get them out of the road, we wave a stick in front of them, get them to bite the stick, and then drag them as gently as possible by the stick. They don,t respond well to chivying, in our experience.

Nan

• Like 8

Mostly, though, I am scared of ticks.

After a fun day at my bil's place in rural central Florida, my dh found a tick attached to his torso. That was it -- we will never, ever live in anywhere in the South!! I had thought it a retirement option -- cheaper cost of living, family members in the area, but the ticks permanently closed that door! We do have ticks here, have had to pull one or two off a dog over the years, but finding one on his person was too icky for words!  We are mostly, delightfully, bug-free here. (Guess drought is good for some things!)

Toddlers and man-eating critters sure make for a bad mix. One of my boys had wheels instead of feet. I swear -- you put him down and he was off. I watched in horror when he was running free near a lake in the same central Florida area because I realized those were alligators lying in and next to the water.  Even worse was hiking in our local mountains where mountain lions roam free and occasionally attack. The helpful flyers the rangers hand out tell you to keep your children close, don't let them run (ha!!), pick them up over your head if you see a lion -- it only served to stop me from ever taking my kids to hike in our mountains!  

Coyotes are snatching off-leash dogs in our area, either when they are on off-leash walks or sometimes from back yards (they can jump a pretty high fence).  

All this talk of animals brings me to my current read. I started an audio version of Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals, and it is just as wonderful, perhaps even better, than I remember.  I was laughing out loud over the chapter on his education via a friend who was hired to act as his tutor. This book, which I read in college, might just be the source of my subversive thoughts on education.

• Like 11

I just finished a contemporary romance novella which features a character that appears in the romance I mentioned above.  It was an enjoyable read.  (Some adult content)

Midnight at Tiffany's (From Manhattan with Love) by Sarah Morgan

"Matilda is a shy New York waitress by day, but an aspiring author by night—and she loves to write about kick-ass heroines! So when she meets gorgeous millionaire Chase Adams, she decides to channel her heroines and act on their sizzling attraction! One magical night later, she's living the dream, but will a midnight trip to Tiffany's make it a reality?"

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

We're going home today!

Huzzah! Continuing to send best wishes.  

As some of you can tell by all the audio books I am busy sewing. I'm on my final push to finish my quilt. I need to have it ready for a quilt display at the beginning of September. I haven't completed a big quilt in years so have had to look up binding how to directions, decided to completely make it by hand.

Ambitious!

Or the SC "Palmetto" bug. (Really just a nicer name for a ginormous flying cockroach.)

Blech.

Hard to like a post that mentions cockroaches...

I told my middle one and he said yah, they are curious. Tell your children the have really long necks which make it hard to pick them up. To get them out of the road, we wave a stick in front of them, get them to bite the stick, and then drag them as gently as possible by the stick. They don,t respond well to chivying, in our experience.

Nan

A couple of years ago, a snapper took up residence in a pond along a pathway to the beach. There were days when that cantankerous beast would block the path. No one would step over it and there wasn't enough room to walk around it. Eventually it moved on or got bored with all of the humans lecturing it to get off the path.

Yikes!

What about Virginia?

Nan

The Outer Banks of NC are the northern most range of the American alligator. There are a number of plants and animals found south or north of Hatteras where ocean currents collide.

Hey look! I managed to move this post on topic with this week's theme.

• Like 10

Where is Amy? I think she needs to read House-bound by Winifred Peck, the tale of what happens in middle class Edinburgh when Britain's young women are called to do war work during WWII. Without servants, who will carry the coal needed to operate the stove and boiler? As one woman contemplates the situation, she considers the need for one of those newfangled electric stoves that she could easily operate. She will learn to cook. Her family is outraged by the new reality.

'Stuart dear, listen! Suppose we were Russian, Poles, Greeks, French, almost any continental people hearing this discussion, what should we say? "Why do these people make such an idiotic fuss? They have a lovely house, money enough, food enough. They are not so old and feeble but that they can hit balls with golf clubs round and round a golf course for hours any afternoon. Is it possible that they are spoilt enough to feel the end of the world has come just because the woman must try to do a bit of honest work for once?'"

'But--but--' Stuart plunged among a host of objections striding up and down the room. 'I can't have you opening the door to tradespeople!'

• Like 10

I finished The Just City by Jo Walton.  I liked it more the further I read, for some reason I had trouble getting into it.   Well, I guess I probably know the reason - It was (intentionally) disturbing in its descriptions of the reality the women experienced, complete with sexual violence.  For a book that was all about consensuality, volition and equal significance, it was necessary, but still disturbing. It was actually quite a fascinating book that I'll be thinking about for a long time - about the effort to create an actual utopia, based on Plato's Republic, and the vicissitudes of both human and divine nature that make that so difficult.   I'd love to have dd read it when we're discussing Athens, Socrates & Plato but I'm not sure that she's ready for this much reality.  I do think it's an important book for teens of both sexes to read, as difficult as the discussions might be to have.  Respect for volition and equal significance would do a lot to change all of our cultures for the better.

Just in case anybody may have missed the theme after 364 pages, she makes it quite explicit in the final paragraph (not a spoiler):

"On my temple in Delphi there are two words written: Know Thyself. It's good advice. Know yourself. You are worth knowing. Examine your life. The unexamined life is not worth living. Be aware that other people have equal significance. Give them the space to make their own choices, and let their choices count as you want them to let your choices count. Remember that excellence has no stopping point and keep on pursuing it. Make art that can last and that says something nobody else can say. Live the best life you can, and become the best self you can. You cannot know which of your actions is the lever that will move worlds. Not even Necessity knows all ends. Know yourself."

Words to live by, indeed.

• Like 10

...I'd love to have dd read it when we're discussing Athens, Socrates & Plato but I'm not sure that she's ready for this much reality.  I do think it's an important book for teens of both sexes to read, as difficult as the discussions might be to have.  Respect for volition and equal significance would do a lot to change all of our cultures for the better.

Just in case anybody may have missed the theme after 364 pages, she makes it quite explicit in the final paragraph (not a spoiler):

"On my temple in Delphi there are two words written: Know Thyself. It's good advice. Know yourself. You are worth knowing. Examine your life. The unexamined life is not worth living. Be aware that other people have equal significance. Give them the space to make their own choices, and let their choices count as you want them to let your choices count. Remember that excellence has no stopping point and keep on pursuing it. Make art that can last and that says something nobody else can say. Live the best life you can, and become the best self you can. You cannot know which of your actions is the lever that will move worlds. Not even Necessity knows all ends. Know yourself."

Words to live by, indeed.

Rose, there are so many books out there in the world I am anxious to share with dd...but indeed, I am not sure how much reality my dd will be able to handle, either.  The Handmaid's Tale.  Beloved.  The Awakening.  Not that I am supposing motherhood is the "best" path for her, but fiction is a risk-free way of opening the eyes and softening the blows.  And the bolded is simply that very fine line that we as parents need to walk, surely.

• Like 8

Rose, there are so many books out there in the world I am anxious to share with dd...but indeed, I am not sure how much reality my dd will be able to handle, either.  The Handmaid's Tale.  Beloved.  The Awakening.  Not that I am supposing motherhood is the "best" path for her, but fiction is a risk-free way of opening the eyes and softening the blows.  And the bolded is simply that very fine line that we as parents need to walk, surely.

I was thinking about parenting as I was typing those words! It's so true.

My kid is a very mature 13 year old, and it's that funny, transitional age. In some ways she's so grown up and in some ways she's still a child. When I compare the books & movies she can appreciate & enjoy with what her sister, 3 years younger, is ready for, it's a totally different world. And I know that in 3 years, she'll be in a totally different place too, and ready for more intense themes & scenes.  I'm constantly questioning myself these days about whether I'm meeting her where she is, trying to make sure I provide interesting & challenging material, but not push her too far, or try to make her grow up too fast.  It is a fine line, and one that is constantly shifting!

• Like 9

So I am reading mainly cozy mysteries these days and seem to be in the mood for rereading ones I read 20 years ago....

I just spent an hour hunting down some series that I remembered very vaguely and stumbled accross this Goodreads list. https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3810.Best_Cozy_Mystery_Series Unlike many Goodreads list this one doesn't rank all 20 books in a popular series so it is actually somewhat useful. First book in a series only. I did notice some repeats but overall it was done properly. There are some great somewhat unusual series on the list.

I ended up with a Savannah Reid mystery https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/601040.Sour_Grapes, a Lucy Stone https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/575010.Mistletoe_Murder, and a Sarah Booth Delaney https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/905887.Them_Bones?ac=1&from_search=true.

• Like 9

So I am reading mainly cozy mysteries these days and seem to be in the mood for rereading ones I read 20 years ago....

I just spent an hour hunting down some series that I remembered very vaguely and stumbled accross this Goodreads list. https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3810.Best_Cozy_Mystery_Series Unlike many Goodreads list this one doesn't rank all 20 books in a popular series so it is actually somewhat useful. First book in a series only. I did notice some repeats but overall it was done properly. There are some great somewhat unusual series on the list.

I ended up with a Savannah Reid mystery https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/601040.Sour_Grapes, a Lucy Stone https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/575010.Mistletoe_Murder, and a Sarah Booth Delaney https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/905887.Them_Bones?ac=1&from_search=true.

I can feel my "to read" list growing already! Love the Lucy Stone mysteries; I'm on the 9th one, I think.

My bus read today as I jaunted about town running errands was the contemporary romance Lovers Leap by JL Merrow.  The main characters in this book are both men, and there is adult content as well as a good bit of British slang.  It was a pleasant read.

"If they looked, would they ever leap?

Good-looking, confident, and doted on by his widowed mum, Michael is used to thinking only of himself. Getting shoved off an Isle of Wight pier by an exasperated ex ought to come as a wake-up call—but then he meets Rufus and he’s right back to letting the little head take charge. Rufus is cute, keen, and gets under Michael’s skin in a disturbing way.

Would-be chef Rufus can’t believe his luck when a dripping wet dream of a man walks out of the sea on his birthday, especially when Michael ends up staying at the family B&B. Life is perfect—at least until Michael has to go home to the mainland.

Rufus can’t leave the island for reasons he’s entirely neglected to mention. And though Michael identifies as bi, breaking his mum’s heart by coming out and having an actual relationship with a guy has never been his plan. With both men determined to keep their secrets, a leap of faith could land them in deep water."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

:seeya: Dare I pop in, my peripatetic self asks. 

I've been following along off and on with you all. And have received some lovely snail mail over the past couple of months from some of you sweet women. Even though we're officially on summer break the work continues--music lessons, camps and day trips have made up a good part of our summer already. 

Bookwise my most recent read was Our Own Country by Jodi Daynard. It was an enjoyable read and a quick one. I've currently jumped on the Big Magic bandwagon by Elizabeth Gilbert, she of the (in)famous Eat, Pray, Love which I disliked intensely enough to leave off reading it 2/3 of the way through. I bought it after hearing her interviewed by Krista Tippet on onbeing. It was one of those 4 a.m. wake up-and-not-getting-back-to-sleep nights and the interview was just the ticket. So Big Magic is now my 4 a.m. wakeup-can't-get-back-to-sleep audio book which I am very grateful for these days. Next up on the roster is either The Miniaturist or The Alphabet of Thorn and in the non-fiction department I've been enjoying this book, Writing Begins with Breath.

Ok, I think that's it for the moment. Stay well all you lovely readers  :grouphug: 

• Like 12

:seeya: Dare I pop in, my peripatetic self asks.

I've been following along off and on with you all. And have received some lovely snail mail over the past couple of months from some of you sweet women. Even though we're officially on summer break the work continues--music lessons, camps and day trips have made up a good part of our summer already.

Bookwise my most recent read was Our Own Country by Jodi Daynard. It was an enjoyable read and a quick one. I've currently jumped on the Big Magic bandwagon by Elizabeth Gilbert, she of the (in)famous Eat, Pray, Love which I disliked intensely enough to leave off reading it 2/3 of the way through. I bought it after hearing her interviewed by Krista Tippet on onbeing. It was one of those 4 a.m. wake up-and-not-getting-back-to-sleep nights and the interview was just the ticket. So Big Magic is now my 4 a.m. wakeup-can't-get-back-to-sleep audio book which I am very grateful for these days. Next up on the roster is either The Miniaturist or The Alphabet of Thorn and in the non-fiction department I've been enjoying this book, Writing Begins with Breath.

Ok, I think that's it for the moment. Stay well all you lovely readers :grouphug:

Lots of hugs! I miss you.

Nan

• Like 6

A couple of years ago, a snapper took up residence in a pond along a pathway to the beach. There were days when that cantankerous beast would block the path. No one would step over it and there wasn't enough room to walk around it. Eventually it moved on or got bored with all of the humans lecturing it to get off the path.

The Outer Banks of NC are the northern most range of the American alligator. There are a number of plants and animals found south or north of Hatteras where ocean currents collide.

Hey look! I managed to move this post on topic with this week's theme.

Amazing how much geography shapes human lives. Or rather, amazing how humans ignore basic fact.

Nan, thinking about where the alligator line lies.

• Like 6

A couple of enjoyable posts from Tor.com's Five Books About series.  Do read the comments for additional suggestions ~

Five Fantastic Cities by Willow Palecek

"You know what they say is most important in realty: Location, location, location. In fiction, it’s often true as well; an interesting setting can make or break a sci-fi or fantasy novel, either drawing the reader in or making them gnash their teeth in frustration. When I find a book with a vivid enough setting, it’s as though I’ve found a portal to another world.

In some works, the city is a character in and of itself, full of its own charm and nuance and personality. Here are five books with cities that completely drew me in, and had me hungering to know more...."

and

Five Books That Get Survival Right by Alexandra Oliva

"It was important to me to write the survival skills described in my debut novel, The Last One, as accurately as possible. My main character isn’t an expert, and I needed to know what mistakes she could make. There are also characters who are experts, and I wanted to be able to write them convincingly as well. That’s why I undertook weeks of hands-on wilderness survival training while writing the book—so I could get it right. Or, at the very least, so I wouldn’t get it horribly, horribly wrong. While taking a handful of survival classes doesn’t make me an expert, I do know enough now to appreciate when a novel gets an important aspect of survival right.

Here are five novels that do:..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Last night I finished a re-read of Elle Kennedy's new adult contemporary romance The Deal (Off-Campus).  I enjoyed it once again.  (Adult content)  Trigger alert: This book deals with the aftermath of rape as well as physical and mental abuse.

"She's about to make a deal with the college bad boy...

Hannah Wells has finally found someone who turns her on. But while she might be confident in every other area of her life, she's carting around a full set of baggage when it comes to sex and seduction. If she wants to get her crush's attention, she'll have to step out of her comfort zone and make him take notice...even if it means tutoring the annoying, childish, cocky captain of the hockey team in exchange for a pretend date.

...and it's going to be oh so good

All Garrett Graham has ever wanted is to play professional hockey after graduation, but his plummeting GPA is threatening everything he's worked so hard for. If helping a sarcastic brunette make another guy jealous will help him secure his position on the team, he's all for it. But when one unexpected kiss leads to the wildest sex of both their lives, it doesn't take long for Garrett to realize that pretend isn't going to cut it. Now he just has to convince Hannah that the man she wants looks a lot like him."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 6

Today I'm grateful NOT to live in South Carolina or Florida or anywhere with tree-climbing, doorbell ringing alligators.  I'm also grateful for my metal security door since I suspect that alligators, unlike vampires, would not wait for an invitation to enter.

:lol:  Well, I don't think alligators would open the door & come on in. But, I would check to be sure who's out there first before opening!

Trees? I guess why not, considering the other animals that climb them, but this isn,t something that would have occurred to me, either. This puts a whole new spin on "And when you look up, they drop on you.".

:lol:  It's not really funny, but it kind of is. That's why I have never had any interest in visiting swampy areas or going along in those huge fan boats (what are they called?) through swamps. <shudder> I visited the Everglades when I was a kid & it creeped me out. I'd much rather visit snowy mountain areas. Or Hawaii (with its lack of snakes).

I think I've seen that list before. I wonder how many book stealers actually read the books they steal? Or are they just stealing for the thrill of stealing, kwim?

Finished the last book of The Hitchhiker's Guide "trilogy"

Now what next?

Hmmm. I'd have to say a non-fiction book. I think it's hard to go to some other fantasy book after that, at least in the short-term.

What about Passionate Nomad, Pink Boots and a Machete, West with the Night, or Narconomics?

:seeya:

Hey, shukriyya! Good to see you. Hope all is well!

• Like 6

:lol:  It's not really funny, but it kind of is. That's why I have never had any interest in visiting swampy areas or going along in those huge fan boats (what are they called?) through swamps. <shudder> I

Air boats. And FWIW, I've lived in Florida most of my life and have never been on an air boat nor have I ever had the desire to ride one. :D

• Like 7

I finished The Alligator Report by W.P. Kinsella. It was a pleasant & sometimes amusing set of short stories. I think my favorite stories in there were Gabon, The Redemption Center, and The Alligator Report -- With Questions for Discussion.

The stories are in a similar, but more lightweight, style than Richard Brautigan's writing.

Overall, a pleasantly odd little collection.

If anyone would like this copy, please PM me & I'll send it along.

ETA: Thanks again, Jane, for sending this quirky little book my way in the first place!

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 7

A couple of enjoyable posts from Tor.com's Five Books About series.  Do read the comments for additional suggestions ~

I stopped by Tor.com's booth at Comic-Con, and told them how terrific the "Five Books About" series is.  Not that the folks at the booth necessarliy have anything to do with the website, but wanted to give some positive feedback!

• Like 8

Air boats. And FWIW, I've lived in Florida most of my life and have never been on an air boat nor have I ever had the desire to ride one. :D

I went on an airboat ride as a teen in the Everglades (along Alligator Alley no less) and loved it. It really was fun and really interesting.

Shukriyya, Glad to see you and hear what you are doing!

• Like 5

I finished The Confessions of Mycroft Holmes: A Paper Trail by Marcel Theroux. It wasn't at all what I was expecting - Mycroft was pretty tangential to the story - but I actually enjoyed it very much. The character had an Englishness to him that was . . . endearing. I am usually frustrated by stories featuring middle-aged men having sort of mild, ineffectual midlife crises but I actually really enjoyed this book.

Edited by Chrysalis Academy
  • Like 7

Any fans of Star Trek's Spock here?  If so, you might enjoy this column ~

The (Many?) Lovers of Mr. Spock—It’s Not the Size of Your Starship That Counts by Maggie Boyd

It was funny to come across that column yesterday as I've been re-reading an old favorite Star Trek novel at bedtime over the past few days; I decided not to wait for tonight and finished it this afternoon.  While Spock plays a role, the central character in this book is Doctor McCoy.

Doctor's Orders  by Diane Duane

"When Dr. McCoy grumbles once too often about the way the U.S.S. Enterprise ought to be run, Captain Kirk decides to leave the doctor in command while he oversees a routine diplomatic mission. Kirk beams down to a strange planet nicknamed "Flyspeck" to negotiate its admission into the Federation, leaving Dr. McCoy to enjoy his new authority. However, the doctor soon learns that command is a double-edged sword when Kirk disappears without a trace. Desperately trying to locate his captain, McCoy comes under pressure from Starfleet to resolve the situation immediately. Matters go from bad to worse when the Klingons arrive and stake their own claim on Flyspeck. Then another, more deadly power threatens them all, and suddenly Dr. McCoy and the Starship Enterprise find themselves pitted against an alien fleet in a battle they have no hope of winning."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

I finished The Relic Master. It was okay, except for the crude male humor, and a bit of bloody violence. Not what I expected when I checked it out. I was interested in the main story line about the shroud, but I just couldn't figure out what the author was trying to accomplish. The language felt anachronistic and at times the story seemed to attempt to be an alternate history. It doesn't quite fit any particular genre.

Next, I'm reading Mrs. Pargeter's Package by Simon Brett. I want something quick and easy before I tackle In Cold Blood by Capote. It is the next book club pick. I'm not really looking forward to it.

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 7