Menu

What did you use to teach Essays in Grade 8

Hi,

I am looking to teach essays for 8th Grade next year.  I just do not know what curriculum to use?

I am looking for ideas.  We did WWS1 in Grade 6 and this year ds did a writing coop that used IEW (Robotics, Radar one).

I am reading MCT Voyage but we are just reading it.  I feel like something is missing in MCT Voyage that I need to use something else like Lively Art of Writing or Lost Tools of writing, I don't know what!

Thanks!

We also did WWS 1 and read MCT Voyage and found it lacking for essay writing instruction.  We followed that with Lively Art of Writing (using the workbook), a Bravewriter Kidswrite Intermediate class, then Writing With a Thesis.  It's been a solid progression that has served us well, dd is more than prepared for high school writing. 

• Like 2

We've used Wordsmith Craftsman. It worked really really well for my oldest DS. My 2nd DS has had to review certain parts and go back and re-learn a few times, but he's starting to catch on. We might use the Elegant Essay after Craftsman if I don't think his essays are up to snuff after finishing it.

• Like 2

Thank you for all your thoughts!  I really want to do Lost Tools of Writing but it sounds too intimidating and too much work for me to figure it all out.  Since I have an only child, it will be waste of time for me.

I am looking for something broken down for me like The Lively Art of Writing or Thinking in Threes, etc. :)  Just follow along the steps in the book.

I used Analytical Grammar's Teaching the Essay.  They no longer have that product, but they make another, Beyond the Book Report

Season 3 teaches the essay, oral presentations, and research papers. Our co-op is going to use Season 3 next year with a group of upper middle and high school students. I think it's going to be a great year! We have 3 writing teachers for the group of 17 kids. Each teacher is going to teach one of the three sections that is more their own specialty. Then they will divide the group into 3 skill level categories to work with them a bit more one-on-one and fine tune the assignments accordingly. 

• Like 2

We have only done persuasive essays this second semester of eighth, but it is going well, I think.

We have done WWS 1-3 and find that we can use the tools there for adding interest to essays and organize them. The primary thing to learn, then, was to formulate a strong thesis. We have used several chapters of Writing With a Thesis (thanks, WTM boards!) and will continue reading through and discussing, as well as reading other examples of good essays.

I own LTOW and find it too formulaic for where my ds is in writing. Maybe it would have been useful if we hadn't done all of WWS, or maybe there is a way to streamline LTOW that would still be beneficial, but I am finding he doesn't need anything that structured at this stage, even though of course he will need to refine his essay writing the next couple of years.

• Like 2