Menu

Curriculum to learn Chinese

My dd wants to learn Chinese next year. She will be in seventh grade. What are some good resources to help her? I know of Rosetta Stone, but is that good for a 12 year old?

I am actually looking for a fun curriculum, that could maybe use a lot of different teaching methods such as CDs, workbooks, DVDs and such. If it is bright and colorful, that would be even better.

Even if it is not fun, if you know of an awesome resource, please share!

There is a reason my daughter wants to learn this language, and it is not just a fleeting wish. She is determined. :)

Any help??

I would look at Better Chinese. Stanford use the Modern Chinese for their college beginners course and that is doable for a 12 year old. It is very bright and colorful even for the college text :lol: There is online learning too but we never tried that, while I have read the books for k-12 because my friend has them and the college books at Stanford bookstore.

http://www.betterchinese.com

Can you speak or are you getting a tutor? She would need someone for the conversation practise aspect.

• Like 1

Listening won't be a problem. Chinese curriculum typically comes with CDs and/or audio downloads.

Speech and conversation is an issue without someone to practise with. Could you look at hosting an overseas chinese student for a summer program? We have overseas chinese students taking ESL summer courses at the community college and I see ads from organizations at times looking for host families.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

I know of Rosetta Stone, but is that good for a 12 year old?

I don't know of any curriculum to help, but wanted to answer this question. 

We use Rosetta Stone for Spanish in 3rd and 4th at my school. It's an after school enrichment program. In the past, they let 5th and 6th do Mandarin. So, I think that it's fine for a 12 year old. 

• Like 1

It's crucial to get the tones right at the beginning.  If you can hire an overseas student to introduce those at the beginning, it will make all the difference.  If you use the wrong tones, it's like English with the wrong vowels: yoe kid viglu indoestoond ut bit at ot's nit they roe-ihl thong.

For reference, the sound 'ma' can mean 'mother', 'to scold', 'hemp or 'horse', depending on what tone you use.  The written characters are all different, but for an untrained English speaker, it's hard to discern the difference in the spoken sounds.

Best

Laura (learned Mandarin as an adult in China)

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I agree with the recommendations for a native speaking tutor or conversation partner, and I heartily recommend iTalki as a great online resource for this! DS9 and I study Chinese together and we make periodic use of a tutor on iTalki. She is **wonderful** - an experienced native speaker, lives in China, has a Master's degree in teaching Chinese.... AND she is only about $12/hr!!!

She does have certain texts she uses, though. She has a children's text but it might be too young for your DD. DS and I use her recommended adult text, New Practical Chinese Reader.

I also recommend Skritter for helping to learn characters. It is fabulous :-)

Edited by tranquility7
  • Like 1

That set of texts isn't colorful. Which would be okay if OP's daughter doesn't mind. 

Anyway OP's daughter can check it out here for textbook and workbook 1.

http://www.chinesestudycenter.com/books.html

No, it definitely isn't colorful. It is an adult text.

She does use a children's text, which I think is probably colorful, but I think it might be too childish for a 7th grader.

• Like 1

No, it definitely isn't colorful. It is an adult text.

She does use a children's text, which I think is probably colorful, but I think it might be too childish for a 7th grader.

Do you know what children's text she uses?  Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I clicked through her links and figured out it's WORLD YOUNG LEARNERS' CHINESE.

Edited by MommytoFour
  • Like 1

I agree with Laura and others. We are fortunate to live in a university town with many Chinese students, and found a Chinese tutor to meet with my boys weekly. She's able to make sure that their pronunciation is correct. Plus she's fun and engaging, and she can read the Chinese in their books if they get stuck on the exercises. :)

We looked through the recommendations on this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/526738-mandarin-textbooks/?fromsearch=1and our last tutor liked the Mei Zhou, so that's what we're using. Our current tutor also likes it. My boys are not particular about whether or not the text is for younger kids. She supplements with other links and materials.

• Like 1

We found a local tutor, I think it would be very difficult to know whether you were getting the tones correct otherwise.

For computer programs, I like Fluenz.

We've got a variety of books around, I have a sleeping child using me for a pillow right now but maybe I will get a chance to go look at the titles later. There are some Chinese cartoons on YouTube, we like Peppa Pig for beginning vocabulary. Also lots of free learn Chinese videos with native speakers.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

hi, isle, your daughter is 12 years old, right? If she want to learn Chinese by herself, it needs some textbooks, articles, funny study cards and videos, only textbooks is not work for her,  and she needs have some friends who know speak Chinese, she can practice with her friends. I know the good place is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXwvYa9W8sVXvXEotNIbIXA in youtube channel, there are so many videos and professional Chinese teacher teach you how to learn Chinese words, grammar and help you practice speaking and listening, it so suitable for Chinese begin learners. If your daughter met some problems and need a private professional Chinese teacher, you can find "Hanbridge mandarin school" website and book one free online lesson, I think the Chinese teacher will help her. Hope the information is good for you.

Edited by carala eva

Agree with recommendation to try to find a tutor. Chinese is very difficult to study on your own, even with the best curriculum. There are affordable online options for tutors - a local tutor might be even better if they are experienced.

A curriculum is difficult to implement even for native Chinese speakers. I am a heritage speaker and tried Better Chinese, but there were so many parts to juggle that even I gave up (and I'm an adult and a heritage speaker).

• 1 year later...

If you do not speak Chinese yourself, teaching one is very challenging. I am not saying it is not possible, but it is an up hill battle.

The best bet is to find a local chinese school which offers chinese classes during weekends or as an after school program. They are more experienced and would be able to provide more advice.

Another thing you can do is to hire a Chinese speaking tutor and insist she speaks Chinese only.

Lingo Bus is an online one on one tutor that is fun to do. I've never used it, but I'm a tutor for Vipkid, and it's the exact same format.

I work for VIPKID as well. :) I was just coming to comment about LingoBus as well. Small world! 

Back to LingoBus, every post I've read of people who are taking the class or are doing the trials have been very positive. Their kids are really enjoying it. 

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

Lingo Bus is an online one on one tutor that is fun to do. I've never used it, but I'm a tutor for Vipkid, and it's the exact same format.

I also teach with VIPKID. :D My 6yo has taken lessons with Lingo Bus and enjoyed it. She keeps asking when she will have another lesson. It is complete immersion. The only thing is, since they are still having growing pains, it is hard to choose the teacher you want. They also have a lot of support materials in the works, but they are not ready yet.

They are supposed to be having a Black Friday sale starting on the 24th, so you can pick up a good deal. You can also get a free demo class.

Edited by Renai
  • Like 2