Menu

Do you and/or your family take fish oil?

Janie Grace

Fish Oil poll  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes fish oil in your house?

• Dh and/or I take it.
    • Kids take it.
    • No one takes it.

I was at Costco the other day and was blown away by the selection of fish oil. I mean there were probably twenty different kinds! It made me think "gosh, everyone must take this stuff!" In the past I have had ds take it to see if it would help his attention issues (but he doesn't anymore). I have encouraged dh to take it for heart health but we slacked off on that, too. For whatever reason, I just haven't been compelled to make it a TAKE THIS EVERY DAY, EVERYONE thing. But I wonder if I should. If you're in that group, can you tell me your reasons, what kind you take and how you remember to get everyone to take it? :)

I take it and dudeling's ND has recommended it for him, so he takes it too.  I will not buy fish oil at Costco, I don't like their quality. even for fresh salmon - farmed salmon does NOT have as many omega's as wild caught from colder waters.  I order Nordic naturals ultimate omega/ proomega (they're the same. one's aimed at consumer, the other drs) off of amazon.

(I don't buy vitamins at costco either - same reason.  I read labels to see sources and molecular forms.  they matter. some are cheap - but poorly absorbed requiring larger amounts and the body to convert them, and get rid of waste products.  others are more easily absorbed, requiring less, and have little or no waste for the body to excrete.)

eta: we do divided doses, so  morning when we get up, and before bed.  just part of the routine.  I do weekly pill boxes, so I dont' have to put them together everyday, but I can also see if a dose was missed.

We take everything in the evening. Easy to remember because we all have some kind of prescribed meds as well.

I don't know what my daughter and I take since my father is kind enough to add us to his auto order, and I don't pay attention beyond the expiration dates. My son takes one that's high in EPA and I get from the health food store.

I didn't vote.

Dh takes fish oil daily.

I take krill oil a few times per week, because it helps with my dry eyes.  If I take it daily, it makes a big difference, but I tend to gag on vitamins, so I have to be in a non-gaggy mood to swallow them. 

DD16 takes it the same as I do.  She take 6 pills per day (ADD meds, multi-vite, iron etc) and it is the last to go down.  If she can't take it, no biggie, but it does benefit her when she does.

DD8 takes it when she isn't taking more than 8 pills in the morning.  She is on a lot of meds and once we hit about 8 pills it requires a second spoon of applesauce to get them to all go down.  That is her mental limit and it causes problems after that, so we skip it.

Ds20 doesn't take any vitamins.

DH and I take it as part of daily vitamins and the kids take it often but not every day.  I give them the peach flavoured 'nordic natural' mixed into yogurt with a touch of jam.  I started it to help ds2 with his speech issues and it did help quite a lot. I didn't say anything to his therapist and she came to me and asked what I was doing at home because she had never seen a child improve so quickly.

However, lately what I am seeing is making me feel less compelled to have dh and I take it as a health supplement. I'm on the fence about it. However, my mom did bring down her high cholesterol numbers by increasing her exercise, losing 10lbs and taking fish oil supplements before each meal. However, I can promise you that she took very low quality supplements, so it might not have had much of an effect. But her doctor was very surprised. He wanted to put her on medication and she asked for a year to bring it down on her own. She did it and isn't on medication She is 70.

DH takes a prescription Omega 3/fish oil supplement (generic of Lovaza).  None of the rest of us take fish oil.  I asked my doc about it once and he wasn't particularly in favor of it for someone like me (female with no significant heart risks like high BP or high cholesterol).  He said it's a much more potent blood thinner than many people realize, and in his opinion the risks may outweigh the benefits for someone who doesn't have a definite need for it.

Dd normally takes it. I've been slacking off with it in the summer because we do a lot of fishing and so we're usually eating fresh fish a couple times a week, but she takes it regularly the rest of the year. We started it when she was a toddler because of delays associated with her genetic disorder, and noticed a massive improvement.  

I take krill oil a few times per week, because it helps with my dry eyes. If I take it daily, it makes a big difference, but I tend to gag on vitamins, so I have to be in a non-gaggy mood to swallow them.

Does krill have a noticeably better effect than other fish oil for your dry eyes? I might need to experiment with that.

I take it, should be daily but I'm more on the when-I-remember plan. Maybe I should get a pill dose box.

I agree about not wasting your money on cheap brands. I use Nordic Naturals Omega + D and have also used Carlson's in the past. Store brands give me fish burps. ðŸ˜

My kids take them when remembered, one of my kids only bothers if flaring with eczema, the fish oil helps.