Menu

Tomorrow is D day

gingersmom

I'm returning the cable boxes tomorrow. I'm not even bothering with customer service over the phone. I'm taking my son to school and by 9am will be at their door with a bag full of seriously overpriced boxes.

We could all buy 2 entire seasons of shows and still pay less.

I did it once before for just over a year and caved and had it reinstalled.

Not this time. I was so upset with myself when I saw how much money I was throwing away each month. I haven't turned on my tv in weeks! At least 90% of what we watch is online.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you. There will be no third time.

• Like 3

Good for you!

Dh refuses to pay for what he can get for free, so we've never had cable. In his not-so-humble and freely-shared opinion, there's too much junk on TV and cable, anyway.

I like to watch a few things I would see on cable, but I don't need to, really. If I'm desperately curious, I can usually watch online.

Have fun with the extra $!

We just did this. We had a bundled service with cable, internet, and phone. It's not been pretty. We went from cable internet to dread.ful.ly slow DSL. It is SO slow. So we really can't watch shows online. We are trying out our second digital antenna; neither get us more than a few channels. The phone, though, we are happy with. AT&T gave us this little box we hook up to our home phone and it uses cell towers instead of copper lines. So it's basically a cell phone but it uses our reg home number. For a flat $20 a month unlimited calls. Best of all we can take it wherever we want and hook it up to any phone.

Anyway, I'm confident we'll get used to the changes. If nothing else we'll watch almost no TV, which is a good thing.

Cut the cable years ago and the only thing I still miss is HGTV, lol.  It's so much cheaper for us to buy season passes on iTunes for any shows we want to watch (maybe 1 or 2 a year) and have a Netflix subscription.  We moved months ago and honestly haven't even set up the TV yet...

We gave up cable and have been using Hulu, Netflix and network websites.  We have a Chrome Cast so we can watch on the big tv.

Dh looked at Sling but we can't Cast it to the big tv because it's not in a web browser.  He just bought a big antennae and is installing it on the roof to see if he can get channels to watch sports - NFL football and college basketball mostly.   If that doesn't work, anyone have any suggestions for where to watch sports besides Sling?  It's the only thing missing.

We haven't had a TV for six years, and for several years before that the TV was only hooked up to a DVD player, no cable. I haven't lived with cable since moving out of my parents' house. I don't think you'll regret it!

I consider myself a bit of a no-cable evangelist, but I was still a little surprised to see quitting cable likened to the Invasion of Normandy.

• Like 1

We gave up cable and have been using Hulu, Netflix and network websites. We have a Chrome Cast so we can watch on the big tv.

Dh looked at Sling but we can't Cast it to the big tv because it's not in a web browser. He just bought a big antennae and is installing it on the roof to see if he can get channels to watch sports - NFL football and college basketball mostly. If that doesn't work, anyone have any suggestions for where to watch sports besides Sling? It's the only thing missing.

We bought a $19.99 cable from best buy that we stream Sling from our laptop to the TV.

Apple TV is coming out with TV and according to reports, will offer sports channels but not sure when it will debut.

We bought a $19.99 cable from best buy that we stream Sling from our laptop to the TV.

Apple TV is coming out with TV and according to reports, will offer sports channels but not sure when it will debut.

Thanks, it looks like the antennae might work okay.  We weren't sure because Direct TV couldn't even get their satellite signal where we live (surrounded by granite mountains).  But we aren't too far from NYC and we were able to get CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, channel 9, channel 11 (whatever station Supernatural shows on) and PBS (along with other channels) so this could work.

We've had only NetFlix (streaming and one DVD at a time) for about four years. Haven't missed Dish Network at all. I thought I might miss HGTV, but that network has regressed to endless reality-type shows--no more Trading Spaces, only marathon Property Brothers and other quasi-remodeling/decorating shows. Gah.

Anyway. I was visiting with a friend who has some sort of cable, and she was surfing the gazillion channels looking for something to watch. I do something similar, except I surf Netflix for something to stream, and find many more options. :-)

We cut the satellite TV in 2006 and never looked back.

Congrats! It's liberating!

(We do have an Apple TV for Netflix, etc and an Amazon Fire Stick for Amazon, so it's not like we are without TV. I just hate to pay for multiple streams of media, and we're always going to prioritize internet access.)

Plans! You need sling. My boys got it specifically for football season this week. $25/month and 6? sports channels. ESPN and SEC included.

Check it out.

Well, I did it!  Signed up for a test week of Sling last night, confirmed it worked for five seconds on my Roku, and cancelled Uverse TV just now.  Uverse was $72/month, plus junk fees; Sling is $20, plus I can easily cancel Sling the months we don't need ESPN, so we'll pay $100/year for ESPN instead of $972.  I may pay the $5 for the SEC network later in the season, but probably only if it turns out that the LSU/Auburn game is on the SEC Network.  And I have to say that the AT&T dude was extremely nice, helpful and not pushy.  Guess they've been putting some work into customer service training.  

Thanks, PJM!