Menu

I need some breakfast ideas

ProudGrandma

I am in need of easy, maybe make ahead breakfast ideas, that kids will eat...and maybe make themselves...but they need to be healthy, and filling....hoping to replace our horrible cold cereal rut we have found ourselves in.  

please help me. 

thanks.

Will they eat yogurt? One day a week we have (usually Greek) yogurt "parfait" - yogurt in bowl or cup and we add granola (ds10 likes his with Cheerios), fruit/berries, honey, etc.

My kids also like to fry eggs and put them on toast or English muffins with cheese.

• Like 1

Quiche (I don't bother with a crust) or breakfast casserole that can be made and reheated as needed? Toaster waffles are at least warm compared to cold cereal. Baked oatmeal with fruit? It generally reheats well as single servings with a little milk in the microwave.

My kids like to mix yogurt with uncooked oats and sometimes fruit.  They call it oatgurt.  I think it's gross, but it's healthy and I don't have to make it!

They also do fried eggs on toast, oatmeal with some peanut butter and jelly, hard boiled eggs and fruit, peanut butter on ww english muffins or toast, smoothies when I'm feeling brave enough to clean up after them (because there are always missed drips,) and sometimes I make the baked oatmeal recipe that's gone around this board.

My kids like to mix yogurt with uncooked oats and sometimes fruit.  They call it oatgurt.  I think it's gross, but it's healthy and I don't have to make it!

They also do fried eggs on toast, oatmeal with some peanut butter and jelly, hard boiled eggs and fruit, peanut butter on ww english muffins or toast, smoothies when I'm feeling brave enough to clean up after them (because there are always missed drips,) and sometimes I make the baked oatmeal recipe that's gone around this board.

That's similar to muesli.  I eat that a lot.  It's best when I let the yogurt/cereal mixture sit for a while so the cereals get softer.  I use either Bob's Red Mill muesli or their 5-grain rolled oat cereal with some raisins and nuts added (depending on what I have at home).

We also keep a mix of quick-cooking rolled oats with some sugar, cinnamon, salt, and nuts that people can scoop out and pour boiling water over.  Here is the basic idea for making packets, but I don't waste plastic bags unless we are traveling.  I just mix up the ingredients in a canister.   (i don't use dry milk because one of my kids is allergic to it.  We add a little milk to the cooked oatmeal anyway.)

http://ohmyveggies.com/diy-instant-oatmeal-packets-8-flavor-combinations-youll-love/

DS is a big fan of soft boiled eggs with mouillettes (basically sticks of bread). He also likes poached eggs mixed with chopped avocado and sometimes bread or tortillas.  Healthy chilaquiles (not fried tortillas) is another favorite.  Greek yogurt with berries, oats, and nuts is another popular breakfast, but that's already been mentioned.

I like quick oats with applesauce and frozen fruit stirred in. For my kids I add the fruit after cooking to help cool it off but I prefer to cook my oatmeal with the blueberries in it.

Other ideas: scrambled eggs, egg in a hole, pancakes (make ahead, freeze, then cook in toaster). Egg "McMuffins" (egg, slice of cheese, on toasted English muffin).

Toast with peanut butter and sliced banana, or peanut butter with applesauce.  

Greek Yogurt

Lunch food (my 9yodd loves chicken for breakfast)

Pancakes

I love fried eggs with sautéed vegetables (spinach, red peppers, hash browns) and chopped turkey or ham or hot dogs (Hebrew National)

Breakfast burrito (scrambled eggs, hash browns, shredded cheese, and green chile in a flour tortilla)

hard boiled eggs with a PB&J sandwich