Menu

Weighted blankets

Only me

Has anyone used a weighted blanket for insomnia? My 20 year old dd has suffered from insomnia since she was an early teen. We have tried everything to help her and nothing works. She is finishing her AS degree and is transferring to a 4 year university in the fall. It will be difficult for her to share a room with someone since she doesn't fall asleep until at least 2 or 3. I was just reading about weighted blankets and I'm curious if it would help insomnia in adults. If you have used one for insomnia I would also like to know what brand and where you purchased it. Thanks

My son with autism has sleep troubles at time, staying asleep was especially difficult. We got him a fairly heavy weighted blanket which has helped a lot. It's also very soothing from a sensory perspective.

We got ours from a seller on Etsy because he could pick the fabric that way.

Any chance you can have her evaluated for a sleep study or sleep apnea before she goes. She could have multiple issues.

I've had sleep problems my whole life. It was not until I was married that I learned some people actually get in bed and fall asleep. Now, many more years later I've started to realize some of my problems are due to breathing issues I didn't know I had because they were normal to me. Seems to be genetic for me--one of my ds's now falls asleep quickly and stays asleep after having had tonsils, adenoids and some of his palate removed. He used to stay awake all night. My oldest has the same problems, but he's an adult and won't see a doctor even though I will pay. I haven't made myself go either though I should.

My other issue is anxiety, which I control with heavy exercise. Reducing my anxiety goes a long way toward getting sleep. The weighted blanket may also address anxiety. Some people are comforted by the pressure.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestion but she has ready had two sleep studies. She doesn't have sleep apnea. For some reason her brain wakes her up several times a night (sometimes several times an hour). She only gets something like 20% of REM sleep that she should. We have tried meds, therapy, melatonin and of course normal sleep hygiene (no electronics, going to bed and waking up at the same time etc). She cannot fall asleep before 2 and wakes up several times a night. We have even tried doctor ordered sleep deprivation. Keeping her up until 5 and then waking her up at 8 and then the next night 4:00 and waking her at 8 etc. Nothing works. She does say that she has trouble with feeling like her mind won't shut down so I thought perhaps the blanket would be soothing

She gets a lot of exercise. Believe it or not she is a hockey player. How she plays with such a small amount of sleep amazes me..

Has anyone used a weighted blanket for insomnia? My 20 year old dd has suffered from insomnia since she was an early teen. We have tried everything to help her and nothing works. She is finishing her AS degree and is transferring to a 4 year university in the fall. It will be difficult for her to share a room with someone since she doesn't fall asleep until at least 2 or 3. I was just reading about weighted blankets and I'm curious if it would help insomnia in adults. If you have used one for insomnia I would also like to know what brand and where you purchased it. Thanks

We had a weighted blanket that everyone liked when they couldn't get to sleep.

Check into the university policy--where my kids will attend a private room can be requested due to medical needs. They require a letter from the doctor. 

• Like 1

The weight helps me. Something else that helps me is an eyemask and earplugs. I've found with all of those things I'm less likely to be woke up and get a longer stretch of sleep. I still have the anxiety if I wake up, but it just doesn't happen as often. Being a morning person, I've never had as much trouble going to sleep, so I don't know how much they will help with that

I love weighted blankets.  It is one of the few things that really calms my anxiety.  When I taught, I would go into the SpEd room and lay in the blanket at lunch time.  There were a few other adults who would do the same.  I really think there is something intrinsically comforting about the sensation, much like swaddling babies. Even in the summer I like a heavy blanket - Dh thinks I am crazy - but mainly it is not a warmth thing but a weight issue.  Weighted vests do not do it for me, but I go a bit gaga for the blankets.

Thanks for the suggestion but she has ready had two sleep studies. She doesn't have sleep apnea. For some reason her brain wakes her up several times a night (sometimes several times an hour). She only gets something like 20% of REM sleep that she should. We have tried meds, therapy, melatonin and of course normal sleep hygiene (no electronics, going to bed and waking up at the same time etc). She cannot fall asleep before 2 and wakes up several times a night. We have even tried doctor ordered sleep deprivation. Keeping her up until 5 and then waking her up at 8 and then the next night 4:00 and waking her at 8 etc. Nothing works. She does say that she has trouble with feeling like her mind won't shut down so I thought perhaps the blanket would be soothing

She gets a lot of exercise. Believe it or not she is a hockey player. How she plays with such a small amount of sleep amazes me..

Has she tried anti-anxiety meds?  I have OCD and my dh has bipolar disorder, and without medication we both have the insomnia/racing mind issue.

• Like 1

I'm another weighted blanket user.  I need to make another one as mine has grown too light for me.  I suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome and the pressure really helps keep my legs calmer.  It also resets my nerves after a long day.  I made mine out of a folded in half queen sized flat sheet so it isn't too warm for me.  I can't sleep if I am hot.

I'm another weighted blanket user. I need to make another one as mine has grown too light for me. I suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome and the pressure really helps keep my legs calmer. It also resets my nerves after a long day. I made mine out of a folded in half queen sized flat sheet so it isn't too warm for me. I can't sleep if I am hot.

How did you add weight?

Has she tried anti-anxiety meds? I have OCD and my dh has bipolar disorder, and without medication we both have the insomnia/racing mind issue.

We are thinking of trying that next. I have asked her general practitioner to try her on Valium at night temporarily since my daughter has also been having chronic headaches and neck tightness. When and was 15 she had major leg surgery and they have her Valium as a muscle relaxer and it also actually helped her sleep well for a few weeks. Her doctor refuses. We may go see a psychiatrist just to try that route.

I'd much rather try a weighted blanket than Valium! That stuff is addictive (not that I'm not addicted to anything... whatever gets you through the night, as they say...).

Anyway, I've wanted to try one of these, because I sleep much better with a heavy comforter and I'd like to do more. I hope you find one OP!

We love our blankets. Can't sleep without them. We've been using weighted blankets and lappads for years. I bought both online from etsy. I'm not sure if it's ok to post a direct link to the selle we used or not? They're high quality and they were very accommodating to making a few adjustments we needed.