Menu

Exercise Thread ~ December 21st-27th

Negin

Rieshy, that sounds cool!  Videotaping in slow mo. 

Snickerdoodle- If you have an iPhone it will do it.  

2 mile chatty walk with dh before church.  3 mile run with sprints after a huge early christmas dinner.  I feel fantabulous.  

I have decided that I have a pattern of reading running books and articles and spending tons of time planning running workouts and stressing about how to properly train.  But I just like to run.  Some days I like to run fast or run fartleks or hills or sprints or just long slow jogs.  That is "training" so why write up a plan and get stressed about it?  I love writing down what I've already accomplished but I tend to rebel against my prewritten plans.  So for 2015 I'm just going to have fun with my runs; after all they are for me.

Snickerdoodle- If you have an iPhone it will do it.

2 mile chatty walk with dh before church. 3 mile run with sprints after a huge early christmas dinner. I feel fantabulous.

I have decided that I have a pattern of reading running books and articles and spending tons of time planning running workouts and stressing about how to properly train. But I just like to run. Some days I like to run fast or run fartleks or hills or sprints or just long slow jogs. That is "training" so why write up a plan and get stressed about it? I love writing down what I've already accomplished but I tend to rebel against my prewritten plans. So for 2015 I'm just going to have fun with my runs; after all they are for me.

We must be running soul mates. I have no interest in racing or following a plan if I feel something different that day. I just like to run, speed up when I feel like it and quit when I'm done.

Today was a 3.5 mile walk with dh and yoga. And a nap. Yep, napped like a boss.

Got in my requisite three yoga-Pilates sessions last week and most days a hill hike. There was one day in there somewhere that didn't see me hiking due to torrential rain. Today more of the same workout-wise.

Slache, your bruise could also mean that you're meant to sit down with a good cappuccino and some fresh biscotti ;)

Can I join in? Making an exercise habit is my mission for this school holidays. I have been finding random youtube workouts to do. Trying to do a dance or cardio type one one day then a yoga type one the next. I have slightly sore muscles but the payoff in mood and energy levels is amazing.

Slache, your bruise could also mean that you're meant to sit down with a good cappuccino and some fresh biscotti ;)

Nope. I definitely think it means Italy. I can just feel it.

Can I join in? Making an exercise habit is my mission for this school holidays. I have been finding random youtube workouts to do. Trying to do a dance or cardio type one one day then a yoga type one the next. I have slightly sore muscles but the payoff in mood and energy levels is amazing.

Welcome! I have one to recommend. It's cardio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0R9oh7Ct_4

About to do Joyce Vedral's Just Bra Roll & B**bs :D - the title has me grinning. 

I went roller skating for 1 1/2 hours. Does that count?

Yes, I would say that definitely counts. :)

The bruise on my ankle is now the shape of Italy. That means my husband is supposed to take me there, right? It's the only thing that makes sense.

:iagree: . 

Welcome! :)

Have been for a run and then a 4 mile chatty walk with oldest dd. next up, orthodontist.

Slache- let us know if it's helpful. I've toyed with the idea of that or fitbit but I don't know if it would tell me things i don't know.

Lollie- ouch! Feel better.

Negin- that title made me snicker, though I do have a roll around my bra :)

Slache- let us know if it's helpful. I've toyed with the idea of that or fitbit but I don't know if it would tell me things i don't know.

The reason I got the Jawbone instead of the Fitbit was for the sleep benefits. The Jawbone will wake you up within a 30 minute period while you're in the proper part of your sleep cycle instead of at a set time if you want. It also has a power nap feature where you tell it you want a nap and it will calculate how long of a nap you should have and start the timer when you actually fall asleep. I didn't sleep well last night and took 2 naps today bringing my total to almost 7 hours, but my naps were short and refreshing, rather than lasting for hours so that I don't sleep tonight. The phone app is more comprehensive as well, and I think the band is prettier.

I'll tell you about it in a few weeks when I've actually used it for a while and have formed an opinion but I did notice right off the bat that it's more discriminatory about food than I am. I look at what I'll actually get out of the food nutritionally speaking and the calories, but the Up looks at sodium, cholesterol, fiber, and more. It doesn't like my egg rolls  :crying:. 

The last few nights my husband (his came before mine) has been picking up the house and taking the dog for longer walks to get his step count up. I'll have more to say later, but the sleep/alarm/power nap feature alone makes it worth it to me.

Sorry for all the questions. On what device do you have the app?

No prob Bob. Samsung Galaxy Light, which is one of the lesser Samsungs, if not the least. I got it through the Play Store, and you can get it for Iphones and I imagine Ipads and other tablets. It connects through a headphone jack so it's universal, but I don't believe it will work on a PC, though I don't understand why.

Rebounding - love it so much. It's the only way that I can bounce and jump without pain and injury - so far, anyway. I'll never be able to run again, so I'm grateful to be able to rebound.

About to soon do Denise Austin: Hit the Spot Pilates. 

the pain is concentrated in the arch. 

:grouphug:

Sorry that you're in pain. I hope you feel better very soon. Could it possibly by plantar fascitis? I've had it a few times and it's very painful. 

I do have a roll around my bra :)

Me too :). 

I hope over the next two days to maintain some kind of wo schedule amidst the bustle and commitments. Today is super busy but I'm optimistically planning for a late hill hike and a yoga-Pilates video session. Tomorrow I'm realistically planning for no wo and Friday the wo goal is the same as today's. We'll see if I can follow through. In the meantime I'm wishing you all blessings of the Season.

Got in a long, rambly hike with dh, ds and the dogs early this morning before other commitments. Didn't get my yoga-Pilates in but I did get my hill hike in late. Major strong winds so some resistance training, too :lol: I'd planned for no wo tomorrow but now I'm hoping to get in today's missed yoga-Pilates tomorrow. We'll see.

Rieshy, that sounds like one intense trip :grouphug:

Nope. I definitely think it means Italy. I can just feel it.

Welcome! I have one to recommend. It's cardio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0R9oh7Ct_4

Thank you. I tried this this morning though I didn't finish as I only had half an hour. It was quite fun. I am a little slow at figuring out the movements though. Ds thought it was funny that I was "boxing".

Will soon be doing Joyce Vedral's Just Arms.

I didn't exercise yesterday, since I was swamped with cooking and all that. I was on my feet pretty much all day long, so hopefully that counts for something. My workout consisted mainly of fork-to-mouth movements  :lol:.

Thank you. I tried this this morning though I didn't finish as I only had half an hour. It was quite fun. I am a little slow at figuring out the movements though. Ds thought it was funny that I was "boxing".

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think he's great because you're concentrating on counting and all of the different moves so your not really thinking about how hard it is or how tired you are.

I was supposed to do yoga yesterday and didn't, but I'm just going to skip it for the sake of saying on schedule. Today is cardio, then a nap. I don't know what it is with me and waking up at 5 in the morning.

I hope you feel better soon Shukriyya. Being sick is just one of the most unpleasant things.

I'm finally getting back to being able to do stuff.  I got another cold after the stomach thing and I haven't been able to do any kind of exercise.  Yesterday and today I did yoga.  Yesterday was a short 30 minutes, this morning an hour.  I am leaving for vacation and I plan to do 1 or 2 short runs, yoga, and a little kettlebell.  Nothing too hard, I need to get back to things slowly.

I hope I'm done with being sick.  I felt as if I was sick most of December.  

Ooh, and for Christmas I got a new yoga mat, a yoga toy (it's the headstand assist machine) and hiking boots.  

Hm, reporting what I haven't done: Did not run yesterday & did not go to zumba this morning.... because: my knee :(

it's not too bad, just an occasional twinge of the pattelar tendon. I'm thinking it's not even quite yet tendonitis, kwim, but could be going there. So I eased way off this week. Just gentle stretching & mellow restorative yoga.

I'm going to kick it up yoga intensity today & maybe do some weights or something (wall sits? leg raises? I need to work those muscles)....  Or maybe I'll haul up the stationary bike (we put it away as the tree needed its spot) because I see that a 5-10 min ride with no resistance is recommended for tx. (btw, some evidence based info on treating patellar tendonitis here  )

& just thinking out loud:  I've been very sloppy about stretching before exercise, because I remember reading recently that it didn't make much difference? And yet, in this article above it talks about the importance & I see it also mentioned on PT boards.  My Zumba classes are quite high intensity but never have stretch before hand, just a slower warm up song and then the last song is a bit of a stretch.  I do nothing before runs - just lace up & go.

I think I definitely need to incorporate stretching before & increase the intensity of the stretch after....  What do you guys do? How important do you find stretching before/after mid to high impact exercise?

I've been gone for the week with noro virus rampant in my house. It went through all of us like a wild fire. I am now on the recovering end, but not ready to start exercise again. Maybe Monday. 

NOTHING makes one feel more fragile than a nasty virus that takes you down fast and hard. 

Ugh, that must have sucked for you guys! 

I'm always amazed how WEAK a bad virus can make you.

And how fast muscles atrophy :(   Hate that feeling. Hope you bounce back asap!!!

An aside.... I saw a report a while back about how OT & PT in hospital was really concerned about this & the importance of exercise (specifically weight resistance exercise) during illness & even immediately post op after major surgery. They were 'making' people do weight resistance exercises in the ICU using special equipment, and those people had way better and faster recovery times.

No specific plan. I'm just gradually increasing my distance, then I increase how much of it I run. I'm WAY out of shape, so I only run 1/10 of a mile at a time, but do it several times in the total walk. I've done couch to 5k before, but I like this better.

I did C25K a year and a half (?) ago. It was too hard. I kept having to repeat workouts and was discouraged. I tried it again this year and the a/c in the gym was "broken". I'd love to be runner but my kids are too young to be left alone, we don't have sidewalks, and our gym is hot. Maybe after we move.

Day Ican'tremember/105: Full body weight training :)