Menu

Exercise Thread ~ December 21st-27th

Negin

Ugh, that must have sucked for you guys! 

I'm always amazed how WEAK a bad virus can make you.

And how fast muscles atrophy :(   Hate that feeling. Hope you bounce back asap!!!

An aside.... I saw a report a while back about how OT & PT in hospital was really concerned about this & the importance of exercise (specifically weight resistance exercise) during illness & even immediately post op after major surgery. They were 'making' people do weight resistance exercises in the ICU using special equipment, and those people had way better and faster recovery times.

I figure using my legs and arms to scoot around my house on my rear end because I was too nauseous and dizzy to stand counts as resistance exercise of some sort. I tried crawling, but sitting and scooting was better against the nauseousness. Cause, let's admit it, when the whole family is sick it is the MOM who is the one who has to power through and take care of others as best she can. My kids needed fluids and buckets emptied, and I was the one who did it. 

So what are things you guys like to do to get back into the swing of exercise when you're recovering from a draining and dehydrating illness? I'm thinking of starting with yin yoga, moving to "regular" yoga, and doing a week of low impact on FB. Sound good? Any recommendations? 

after my dr started me on a far too high dose (in an area she lacks experience - though more than most allopaths), I've finally started doing things again on a more consistent basis. (after seriously reducing my dose.)

so - did full yoga practice 2x last week, and 2x this week.  it feels good, I didn't lose too much flexibility or balance, though need a little bit to get where I was.   my dd gave me a couple yoga dvd's for strength and flexibility for Christmas.  I look forward to trying them out.

Welcome back  Mom Ninja, I was wondering where you were.   Good grief, it sounds like you were on the curb.    Glad to hear you're doing better.  

Slache!  What day are you on?   You need to be filling out your WO journal everyday!

Shukriyya, and that's why we don't eat out very often.  Except sushi.   Right?  Who can resist sushi every once in a while?????

My next WO is scheduled for Monday but I have been stretching and doing other very spastic stuff....   :D

Skipped yesterday's wo and today's due to this sore throat/chest/ear thing though necessity required a short, single hill-hike with the dogs this morning and yesterday. It's been super chilly here, down jackets, boots and and hats kind of weather.

I forgot to mention that I got a fitbit flex for Xmas :hurray: so that will be factoring into my future wos. I'm also about to order a kettlebell. WO aspirations for the New Year include more steps and added strength training along with my current routines.

Mom-ninja, I've been thinking of you since you first posted about your littlest. Sounds like you had a rough time of it. Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Slache!  What day are you on?   You need to be filling out your WO journal everyday!

Day 20. Day 21 is rest day, so I won't see you until day 22. I don't keep a workout journal. I have the next 6 months (?) planned out, and I knew what today was supposed to be, but I was sore and shakey and in need of a chocolate protein shake, so I didn't bother looking. I'm so sorry. It won't happen again.

I've been gone for the week with noro virus rampant in my house. 

Wow. So sorry.  :grouphug:   I'd missed seeing you here. Hoping for an easy and quick recovery from here on out. 

my knee :(

What do you guys do? How important do you find stretching before/after mid to high impact exercise?

Sorry about your knee. I have the same issues, hence why I no longer run. I ran from my early teens (actually, age 11) on and off until my mid-30s. The only high-impact that I can and will do now (I'm almost 47) is rebounding. My knees cannot handle anything else - no Jillian Michaels, Tae Bo, running, nothing bouncy. 

I stretch a little bit before working out. Recently, and on days that I have the time, I have been doing at least one Classical Stretch routine (25 minutes) after each workout. Loving CS!