Menu

finally started CLE (switched from Abeka math)

lgliser

My kids were less than thrilled :(  They aren't big on change anyway and they loved the colorful Abeka pages... all of the animals and themes really appealed to them!

I'm really hoping that they end up liking CLE.  (And me too)!!  I was just not loving Abeka's manual... even though the kids were doing alright with it I just noticed that not many people seemed to stick with it.

Wish us luck!!

Good luck...we recently switched to CLE and my kids and I both love it. It's simple and straight forward for us who are not math genius's and my kids are sailing through it. It's the first time in two years that my DD hasn't cried every time I bring out the math books and she loves the speed drills and math facts which I thought for sure she would hate.

I will never, ever switch again lol.

We switched from Math Mammoth to CLE and we are all LOVING it. My kids needed the constant review and CLE hits the spot for us. And i really like the flashcards. Very pleased and won't be looking for another math program until they need pretty algebra (I think that's the level most talked of needing a different program?)

We came to CLE from BJU and it was a big change.  BJU was colorful and had unit-long themes (though CLE has some themes, too...) Also, the lessons in CLE are several pages long and it took oldest DD a while before she could handle the whole lesson at a go (BJU has 1 page, front & back, for each lesson + whatever work is in the teacher's guide).

Good luck!

I use CLE for my first and third grade DSs. They don't seem to mind that it isn't colorful, but I let them use Crayola Erasable Colored Pencils for their work if they want to. It adds some color and gives them a bit of 'choice' also.

I hope it works out for you! It has been a good switch for us and we came from something colorful too (Singapore).

Just started CLE here this yr.  Before this we did Rightstart.  I love how RightStart teaches and how it builds the dc's visualization of math, but I needed something that they could do independently.  I also needed something with more consistent review, something more straight forward.  Love CLE!  (The kids aren't so thrilled about it, but I see how they are learning well from it, and it's getting done consistently - not something that happened as easily with RS.)

I switched to CLE from BJU. Honestly, a lot of it was cost. I will only use BJU's newest editions, and when I needed the next level, I couldn't find it used. Ds understands math easily, but I was seeing some careless mistakes and forgetfulness. I wanted to spend the next couple of years doing a spiral program to make sure things are firmly grasped and practiced. He doesn't need quite as much review as there is available, so I just cross some of it off. 

I switched to CLE from BJU. Honestly, a lot of it was cost. I will only use BJU's newest editions, and when I needed the next level, I couldn't find it used. Ds understands math easily, but I was seeing some careless mistakes and forgetfulness. I wanted to spend the next couple of years doing a spiral program to make sure things are firmly grasped and practiced. He doesn't need quite as much review as there is available, so I just cross some of it off. 

This is us, pretty spot-on.  We quite liked BJU but the guides are pricey + I wanted to spend time reviewing to make sure DD was solid on her time/time/math facts.  I also like the idea of CLE becoming more independent in a year or two.

Hang in there!  My oldest used CLE from 100-700, and moved into Saxon High School this year.  My second is in CLE 500 this year.

No, they don't love math.  I don't know how old your kids are, but at some point, the reality is--math may not be a bunch of colored picture fun and games and it becomes work--but we've found that CLE is so gentle and sweet that at least it isn't as painful as others :)

My second actually switched to Math Mammoth for a brief time in 3rd grade and begged to go back to CLE. 

B--

This is us, pretty spot-on. We quite liked BJU but the guides are pricey + I wanted to spend time reviewing to make sure DD was solid on her time/time/math facts. I also like the idea of CLE becoming more independent in a year or two.

What about BJU with the CLE flashcards and drill? I still have my CLE stuff, and am wondering if I should just keep it and use it for that. Would it be overkill to do the review portions too, or would that be too much? All of the talk about needing facts down makes me nervous!

What about BJU with the CLE flashcards and drill? I still have my CLE stuff, and am wondering if I should just keep it and use it for that. Would it be overkill to do the review portions too, or would that be too much? All of the talk about needing facts down makes me nervous!

That would work if your only concern was facts retention.  I was also concerned that other concepts were falling out of DD's head. :)  BJU does have *some* review of previous topics, but it's not as ongoing and continuous as CLE.

FWIW, I've never drilled flash cards or done the timed tests. :o  I think CLE lessons have enough practice for our house (more than BJU did, that's for sure).

I remember a couple threads on this, Laney. If it makes them feel better, the animal/themes starts disappearing as you go through the levels. By 4, they are gone and my kids concentrate on which problems are in green (meaning "optional" vs. black's mandatory).  :coolgleamA: So, while yours aren't there yet, the cute animals & coloring pictures would be behind them eventually...

:grouphug:  Good luck! (Eldest did CLE 400 and begged to go back to Abeka. Give them at least one level to get used to it.)

My kids are not in love with CLE math, but it is really good for them!

We just started using their Language this year and I'm trying to get used to it.

I'm using the LA and math, and I just started using the 6th grade reading. I wish that I had used it earlier. I am so impressed with what it covers. I've lead a book club for the last 3 years, but I still don't think I could have covered things in the way this program does. From 4th grade and up, it is only 5 light units a year, so there's still plenty of time for reading whole books. It's a treasure trove of vocabulary work, literary terms, inference, working with poetry, etc. I'm definitely continuing it through middle school. 

We started out using MUS and it was too distracting for my daughter. She wasn't interested in it at all except for playing with the manipulatives. We switched to CLE in first grade and it's just what she needs with no distracting colors or pictures. At the start of 3rd grade I switched her to Teaching Textbooks (my older daughter used it for all of HS and loved it) but she hated it. We lasted all of two weeks with TT and then went back to CLE. She took her end of the year testing (3rd grade) and scored on a 5th grade level.