Menu

Exercise Thread ~ September 14th-20th

Negin

yesterday was a bad day - as I had my an eye exam that took it out of me.

today, was much  better.  I walked up my hill twice (am currently over 7000 steps for the day), did a stepped up yoga practice, and weeded for 1 1/2 hours. (I think it's the weeding that made my legs ache.)

I do like this yoga practice - it is a workout, but I can really feel the changes. 

Thursday- hour training with trainer- mostly work on core strength and balance.

Evening MMA- sweated like a pig- we did our katas slowly with every body muscle as tense as possible the whole way through. Unbelievably tiring- and odd feeling.

Running bras? I often wear a regular underwire bra underneath a jogging bra if the jogging bra isn't quite up to parr. I hate bounce- especially when sparring or sprinting and seldom can find a really great fit in jogging bras. The bonus is that if I get kicked in the chest it's extra padding:).

I no longer need a jogging bra...the small bit of weight I lost came almost entirely off my boobs. Oh and my face. Hello wrinkles!

I lose weight like a melting candle apparently.....off the top and pooling in saggy blobs around the middle and bottom. :D

But my friends with boobs seem to like lululemon tata tamers. It's what I see in class more than anything else ....

For me, I just wear a snug exercise top and I good to go.

Speaking of - anyone try ink and burn? Love some their designs.

http://www.inknburn.com

I finished my detox! I made it. I had bread and eggs this morning, and they tasted so good. :)  I did not have coffee.  :ohmy:  My dh is away, so I thought I would forgo making any coffee for a little while longer.  When I do start drinking it again, I want to keep it to one cup a day.  I had been drinking 3 to 4 cups, and I have noticed that I've felt a bit better and slept better this past week.  I did have black tea this morning, but I'll stick to herbal the rest of the day. I also want to be more careful with my sugar intake and reduce fat.  I do seem to do well with fat.  I can eat carbs all day, but give me fatty meat or grease and I feel sick all night.  My body can't handle it.  The plan is to cut out my after lunch and dinner snacks (usally involving chocolate) and start measuring my wine (I have a glass with dinner).  I know I had been overfilling, and I need to reduce that.  I don't want to cut it out yet, so I'll see how it goes.  

I think it was a good experience, and one which I will repeat either 2x's a year, or maybe more.  I believe I'll gain it back, but I lost 4lbs.  I started at 126 (without clothes, first thing in the morning) and ended at 122.  I'm not overweight by any stretch, so I'm sure if you were a bit overweight and you did this you could lose much more. Weight loss was not my goal, but it was a nice bonus. :)

This morning I did kettlebell.  It was a longer workout, with warm-up and cool down, the whole thing took an hour (it was a 10 minute warm up and almost 20 minute yoga routine to cool down).  It was a great workout, targeting areas I need to work on.  Single leg deadlifts need to become my new best friend, and the 1 legged squat was good too.  They are going to help rehab my hamstring.  

I no longer need a jogging bra...the small bit of weight I lost came almost entirely off my boobs. Oh and my face. Hello wrinkles!

I lose weight like a melting candle apparently.....off the top and pooling in saggy blobs around the middle and bottom. :D

But my friends with boobs seem to like lululemon tata tamers. It's what I see in class more than anything else ....

For me, I just wear a snug exercise top and I good to go.

Speaking of - anyone try ink and burn? Love some their designs.

http://www.inknburn.com

I've seen the ink and burn stuff at a running shop.  I like them, but I don't own anything from them.  I do own a Yellowman top.  I bought it years ago from Athleta during a sale (they no longer carry that line).  I got it for less than $50, which if you check out the site, you'll see it's a deal.  Mine has dragons and koi fish.

I do enjoy fancy designs. :)

Brisk walk for 15 minutes, started getting twinges of pain in surgical area, sooo, slow down and keep going. Felt good, 21 minutes total.

Snickerdoodle, that youtube video is pretty amazing. That guy is so fluid and smooth. Can you do that?

Kim in Appalachia, I am about 125 dressed. I fluctuate between 127 and 124. I'm happy with that number but not with what I see when I look at my profile.

My pants are mostly at least a size too big which is good, it means I've lost weight.

I can't eat eggs, legumes, cabbage, most beef and pork products, dairy. Makes me sick. I don't drink coffee or alcohol. My bad: Dr P. After everything I know, all the herbal and nutritional knowledge I have, my one vice is that.

Hello wrinkles!

Yes, I was so impressed at how well I was aging when I was fat. Then I began losing weight and I wasn't quite as impressed. Fish oil pills make you look younger.

------------------------------------------

I did my Insanity first thing this morning followed immediately by a nap. I'm not sure when I should be doing this. I was doing it at night, but then I wasn't sleeping well, and I can't just sleep every morning while the kids watch cartoons.

Yes, I was so impressed at how well I was aging when I was fat. Then I began losing weight and I wasn't quite as impressed. Fish oil pills make you look younger.

I'm vegan but yeah, I have some vegan omega 3 caps on order because I'm not sure I'm getting it all in my diet.

It's my misspent youth on beaches & boats catching up to me. I'm a "sunscreen every day girl" now but it's too late.

Did 25 min on the stationary bike w/ Happy Valley.  I keep slowing down to catch all the fast dialogue so this is not the best biking drama but it's my 'easy' day, so it's ok.

Open mat this morning- mostly self-defense, which I suck at.

1/4 mile jog followed by stretching and rolling then 10x 20 yard sprints. Full-out sprints, which I also suck at. Honestly I think I sprint in slow motion. Maybe it's a superpower- but I can't think of the benefit.

I want SUGAR. I am having trouble remembering why I am not eating chocolate. I want to curl up in a sleepy-depressed ball. Well a sleepy depressed ball that is covered in chocolate.

Fat in the face? I need that too!

Sounds like you ladies are having all kinds of fun. Kim, I've never done a detox but it sounds like it was worth it for you. Hopefully you continue to heal and are back to your useful self soon. 

Negin, you give me a laugh every time you post about the cougar workout :)

Snickerdoodle- Your going to have to post a video of yourself one day.

rieshy- I hear you on chocolate, I gave it up for a good 4 months and have just reintroduced it but I'm still strictly off dairy so no salted dark chocolate caramels :( Sigh. Feeling healthier is better though, right?

I dont have any special workout gear, well except the Merrill Vaporgloves, which are awesome. Maybe as I have more time and energy I'll be getting more into things in the coming year but I'm trying not to plan at this point but enjoying where I'm at, which is miles above where I've been the last couple of years since my last pregnancy.

Welcome to all the new ladies!

I hesitate to say it but I'm really getting back to myself. I've been more and more active and generally feeling great. I'm not necessarily doing a lot of official exercise but staying busy with all kinds of things around here. The kids and I are usually walking every day if weather permits. I sprint here and there as I like. Unfortunately we've not had as much time for family activities with our busy schedule but we're going on vacation next week and have rock climbing and hiking on the schedule. 

My exercise story====

I was always fit and active growing up but I wasn't one to do official sports. I started college and life got busy and then I met dh, started depo and took up eating lots of fast food. That combo led to about a 30 lb weight gain over 2 years, we were married 1 year in. At 2 years I was at the ER with poison ivy and when they weighed me I was shocked, now I don't know exactly how much I weighed before but I knew that it wasn't close to that number. Some how I guess I had ignored the growing pants size. 

So, I started eating better. No more fast food or junk food. I kept a journal and counted portions. I started exercising. At first I just did walking, and then weights, and exercise classes. In a year I lost about 20 lbs. I really focused on being healthier, not the numbers. I took up yoga and kept doing various other classes. I found a yoga studio after a year of practicing on my own and just loved it.

I've stayed active through all but my last pregnancy which hit me like a ton of bricks (I know now that was due to Hashimotos and whacked out hormones). I've generally started back at least slowly, fairly soon after birth. I've done various things at different times. Dh and I were in to mountain biking for awhile. I did spinning after ds. I did Crossfit on my own for years and then tried it out at a gym, which soured me a bit. I did yoga for about 10 years up through my second pregnancy but I've not been into but sporadically since then. I did p90x after #3. My current love is rockclimbing but unfortunately there is no gym or place to climb that is closer than 2 hrs away. We started kayaking this summer but haven't been able to work out the logistics of going as often as we'd like.

I used to love exercise classes and would do them all the time but since having kids I've not enjoyed them much, our family time is so limited I hate to give it up for anything. So these days exercise is generally a family affair. I like feeling stronger and working towards goals. I love being active as a family. We do fun things.

I'm still in the recovery from Hashimoto's and lack of sleep stage. So, I have bad days and goods but the good are increasing. My iron still isn't high enough so my energy comes and goes with my cycle. I'm learning to listen to my body because each time I've tried to push it I end up 2 steps behind, like the 2x I decided I was going to train for a triathlon this year. So, now the goal is to just stay active each week and increase my day to day activity. I had lost all of my pregnancy weight but then this fall/winter I gained back 20ish pounds (again thanks to Hashi's and hypothyroidism). I'm now within 5 lbs of where I was since starting on thyroid meds and going back to a strict paleo diet this spring. Tbh I'm still 6-8 lbs from my usual weight but again I'm trying not to focus on that number. I'm not overweight. 

On a weight related note I'm *this* close to being back under 130 again. I'm really hoping to hit that by the end of the month and I'd love to be back to 125 by Nov, when the baby is 2, which is still a few lbs over my usual but anywhere in the 120-130 range is a good range for me. My weight loss is not as fast these days though, although I'm just happy I'm losing again after stalling for over a month. 

Now that is a novel!

Um, not sure when I posted last but I ran everyday.

I am a weird size and need a running bra. I wear the shock absorber bra. That would be as fancy as my gear gets. I run in my oldest son's cast off high school gym shorts and shirt and some $40 Nikes from Kohls. I do, however, drink about 10 cups of coffee a day. Not that I'm an addict or anything.

I went running/walking yesterday, or as I call it 'waddling'.  I wanted to go today, but I have the most impossible headache. I am guessing a weather change is coming our way, but I am out of commission. Just walking across the floor hurts my head so no jogging for me.

I am hoping to get some running in these next couple week or even months until the cold weather comes. It really has been fantastic. We had our first hard frost last week, so the weather should be cool and dry, unless it is cold and wet, lol.

There is a French saying that after 40 a woman must choose between her fanny and her face. That is why all those famous women (and men) get fillers in their cheeks etc. They are so thin there isn't enough body fat to maintain their cheeks. They would all look gaunt without the fillers. Good thing I don't have to worry about such things. No one is looking at either on me, lol.

I do, however, drink about 10 cups of coffee a day. Not that I'm an addict or anything.

I love you.   :D

I dont have any special workout gear, well except the Merrill Vaporgloves, which are awesome.

Ditto this.    Love my vaporgloves but otherwise it's walmart/target wo clothes for me.  LOL

On a weight related note I'm *this* close to being back under 130 again.

:party:

I did stretch and roll after all.   Woot!

I had a crazy day - so I did a 'short' 40 minute power yoga strength/balance practice.  it was for beginners - but it still had side plank and crane . . .  . .   (I admit - I looked up mods)

I also spent an hour weeding.  (and we bought four rhodies.)