Menu

Memorizing a Timeline

wehave8

Memorizing a Timeline  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which History Timeline do/would you memorize?

• Veritas Press
    • Classical Conversations
    • Old CC plan using VP cards
    • Other
  2. 2. Do you--- A. build your History Program from your Timeline? or B. build your Timeline from your History Program?

I voted for VP and option A, but I don't really build anything. VP did it for me and I have no desire to reinvent the wheel. One card a week, read the spines, do an activity or two from the TM, probably add correlated lit, done. It's painless, efficient, gets done, and I've seen the proof in the pudding with my older kids (now high school).

I have the CC cards and we are working on them by listening to the song every day while Mommy makes lunch.  I couldn't vote, though, because we don't use it as part of our history curriculum at all.  We aren't doing formal history this year, I'm waiting to start both my oldest next year so we can do it together.

We are using SOTW, but incorporating Veritas Press cards and their song this year. If we memorize it, great. We just sing it a bunch.

This year I want us to memorize states and capitals (Animaniacs) and the presidents (heh, also Animaniacs). Last year we memorized the kings and queens of history (Horrible Histories).

We are doing World History Ancients this year and use the VP cards. They are great for my kinesthetic, visual spacial DS. If he thinks we need to add an event, we cut out a piece of card stock to the same size, print a Google image (or he draws one), and type a summary for the back. It allows us to have most of the work done with the big stuff and let's him personalize as we go. It also means that we can study history to whatever depth in certain places he would like. The cards hit the really but stuff, but if he wants to go deeper somewhere then we can enlarge the timeline with his new interest really easily.

It makes for a slightly bulgier timeline in places right now (Greek mythology!). I figure we are going to use the cards all the way through high school, so hopefully it will expand evenly as DS gets older.

Looks like CC for a timeline is in the lead, although VP (used 1 of 2 ways) is just 1 vote away.

How you do your history is 50-50.

Interesting.

I do like hearing how ones using a particular program for years pans out.

If you use VP, what all do you use from them?

Pam

We memorize the cc timeline. However we are not involved in a cc community. We do use their song and their cards. I have also made my own paper based timeline figures for our timeline book based on the cc timeline pegs.

We use SOTW as our main history program. I like that I can take that and make it into MY OWN history program. We add in literature using the ideas from sonlight and the activity book. We also memorize history sentences that relate to our SOTW study.

We use the CC Timeline but aren't part of a CC community anymore. The first two years I based my history on what we are doing CC but I'm not happy with how it worked do this year we are doing SOTW and the CC Timeline song as an extra. We're only a week into school but I'm so much happier.

The timeline song for CC is really nice and makes it so much easier, enjoyable.  For the second question, I don't build a timeline at all.  I have miniatures of the cards on poster board if we want to refer to a visual of the timeline.  The timeline does not drive our history study.  We refer to it as desired.

We memorize the cc timeline. However we are not involved in a cc community. We do use their song and their cards. I have also made my own paper based timeline figures for our timeline book based on the cc timeline pegs.

We use SOTW as our main history program. I like that I can take that and make it into MY OWN history program. We add in literature using the ideas from sonlight and the activity book. We also memorize history sentences that relate to our SOTW study.

What are the ages of your dc?

Thanks

Pam

Youngers (11 & under) use SOTW, but we are going to try to memorize the parts of the CCM timeline cards that deal with the history time we are studying this year. I figure that after four years, we'll have the whole thing mostly under our belt. It'll be better than trying to cram all of them in during one year.