Menu

Back order policy at RR - rant

It's still back to this:

1. They need live stock on the website- thankful they Are working on this

2. When shopping from rainbow we need to remember to order way ahead of time (aka 3 weeks) and if we need stuff quickly, go elsewhere

Rainbow has a lot of stuff no one else has and they have it all in one place at a very low price. I'm just glad they will have live stock b/c I really rally hate the whole back order thing

Well, they say they have a lot of stuff. It sounds like in reality they offer a lot of stuff, but don't necessarily have it all to sell. 

It will be interesting to see what happens with customers being able to see what is an is not in stock. I tentatively planned to place an order next month, depending on what I can find other places. Every year I say I will never order from them again, but there are usually a few little things I need to order from them. So, I might get to try out their new system.

I hope people let us know how it goes as they use it.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that made me annoyed was that the lady on the phon said they are a small company and can't have the stock all in like amazon. I immediately wanted to point out that Timberdoodle is 1/20 of their size and yet everything they offer they actually have, but I held my tongue because I understand their niche market is offering everything in the world at low low prices.

One thing that made me annoyed was that the lady on the phon said they are a small company and can't have the stock all in like amazon. 

I have no problem with this. I don't expect them to keep everything in stock at all. I just want honesty (and diligence to keep their website up to date). It's their responsibility to keep the normal shipping time of 5-7 business days unless they specified those items as "temporarily out of stock" or "usually shipped within 1 to 2 months" as Amazon and most other small online businesses clearly do. Many of them have a built-in online system to which a customer can file a complaint if they fail to meet such expectation. I have no sympathy for a lazy pioneer in business who has fallen into mannerism or not been able to keep up with a changing marketplace. Until I start to hear about an actual improvement in their website and customer service (I hate to make phone calls.), instead of the same old lame excuse (even for the popular items like SOTW and MM), I have no more business with RR. 

Maybe I'm just ordering weird, obscure stuff, but I give RR my business on big orders mainly because they HAVE everything I need. Amazon can be hit and miss, and sometimes the stuff I want is sold and shipped by another party, so my shipping costs add up. But yeah, very time I place a big order with RR, something is back ordered. It's annoying. I try to keep it in mind when I order.

I do order novels and things like that on Amazon. I mostly use RR for actual curriculum.

I ordered from RR on Friday. I after checking out I got their pop up service survey and I made sure I commented on how nice it would be to know if an item is actually in stock before clicking the purchase button. I'm not too concerned about this order as it is mainly fun stuff like stickers, ruler sized pencil boxes and a few books that were cheaper at RR than on Amazon. Since we school year-round, I try to order the bigger things after the regular school year settles in.

I have, however, been waiting ten months for a book I ordered from RR for my daughter's birthday last year. I ordered it very early to make sure it would arrive on time. Her birthday is in November, so I think I ordered it at the end of September. They said it was on back order and should be in soon. October passes, no book. Mid November, no book. I called them and was told they were still expecting it to arrive any time. Joy's birthday comes and goes, no book. So I thought, maybe in time for Christmas. I called a couple times, same answer. Christmas comes and goes, no book. In April I get a call say the book is OOP now and they are waiting to see if it is going to be reprinted, do I want to cancel my order? Nope. I want my dd to have that book at the price listed. I don't care if she doesn't get that book until she turn 93 years old. They had that book for sale on their website and I paid for it. It's the principle of the matter. :D

I had an order held for a week while waiting for a $1 pack of modeling clay. It was so stupid and I wished I could have just cancelled that item, as it ended up arriving (without the modeling clay) the day before I went out of town for three weeks! Then the modeling clay was shipped separately.

I ordered from RR on Friday. I after checking out I got their pop up service survey and I made sure I commented on how nice it would be to know if an item is actually in stock before clicking the purchase button. I'm not too concerned about this order as it is mainly fun stuff like stickers, ruler sized pencil boxes and a few books that were cheaper at RR than on Amazon. Since we school year-round, I try to order the bigger things after the regular school year settles in.

I have, however, been waiting ten months for a book I ordered from RR for my daughter's birthday last year. I ordered it very early to make sure it would arrive on time. Her birthday is in November, so I think I ordered it at the end of September. They said it was on back order and should be in soon. October passes, no book. Mid November, no book. I called them and was told they were still expecting it to arrive any time. Joy's birthday comes and goes, no book. So I thought, maybe in time for Christmas. I called a couple times, same answer. Christmas comes and goes, no book. In April I get a call say the book is OOP now and they are waiting to see if it is going to be reprinted, do I want to cancel my order? Nope. I want my dd to have that book at the price listed. I don't care if she doesn't get that book until she turn 93 years old. They had that book for sale on their website and I paid for it. It's the principle of the matter. :D

You crack me up...but there's a sense in which it's not funny. 

Can anyone explain to me how a business orders its own stock after customer orders?  Like, wouldn't THEY pay too much in shipping just ordering individual books? Or do they wait, and then order, say, 3 books?  Or, do they undercut the publisher so badly that they can still offer us the big discount while paying shipping from the publisher?  I don't understand how that works, and now I am so curious since it seems like they don't actually have a huge portion of what they "offer."

I find RR frustrating too.  I usually just choose the free shipping since I typically don't care when I receive something, but I wanted my last order more quickly and paid for faster shipping and it is taking longer to come than the free shipping ever did.  I didn't receive any kind of backorder notice so I have no idea why the paid shipping should take longer than free shipping.  I'm not comparing them to other companies at all, but I don't think it is ethical to make you wait longer for an order when you paid to have it quickly shipped than when you choose the free shipping.  I feel like they basically stole that money I paid for the faster shipping and it has really turned me off of their company, as it's not just poor customer service, but it is unethical and dishonest.  I think in the future I will be purchasing from other sources.  

I find RR frustrating too.  I usually just choose the free shipping since I typically don't care when I receive something, but I wanted my last order more quickly and paid for faster shipping and it is taking longer to come than the free shipping ever did.  I didn't receive any kind of backorder notice so I have no idea why the paid shipping should take longer than free shipping.  I'm not comparing them to other companies at all, but I don't think it is ethical to make you wait longer for an order when you paid to have it quickly shipped than when you choose the free shipping.  I feel like they basically stole that money I paid for the faster shipping and it has really turned me off of their company, as it's not just poor customer service, but it is unethical and dishonest.  I think in the future I will be purchasing from other sources.  

See, now I agree that is unethical. They should refund what you paid for expedited shipping.

Do they send an email when your order is shipped?  I chatted with them on Friday and was told my backordered item was in and my order would ship that day, but haven't received a shipping email.

Last year I only got a confirmation email when I placed my order and then nothing. I didn't get a back order notice or a shipping notice. I finally checked via the online chat option and they were able to tell me my order was on the way. It is entirely possible that something was backordered and I was just never told. I waited almost 2 weeks before checking and when I did, my order had just shipped.

But, try live chat to check your order. Just have the confirmation email with your exact name, email address and number available so you can give them the info.

I am getting ready to place my order for September and I was looking at RR and I noticed at least one item on my 'wish list' was listed as 'out of stock'. I am not sure I have see that before.

• 3 weeks later...

BUT I just complained over the phone and was told that within the next few weeks, their website will SHOW LIVE STOCK.  You will clearly see if an item is out of stock!

Someone at RR is listening, I think. I ordered from them and received a backorder notice email for one of my items the next day. In other words, they let me know (albeit, still after my order) what was backordered & that the package would be held with all their usual messages about the extra $10, etc. etc. It was about a week later when I got the shipping email and everything arrived very quickly (within two days) after that email.

I've never received a backorder email notice from RR before.

Hopefully the new "not in stock" messages on the site are helpful to those who are in a hurry for things to get there for the new school year. (I haven't seen them yet.)

Someone at RR is listening, I think. I ordered from them and received a backorder notice email for one of my items the next day. In other words, they let me know (albeit, still after my order) what was backordered & that the package would be held with all their usual messages about the extra $10, etc. etc. It was about a week later when I got the shipping email and everything arrived very quickly (within two days) after that email.

I've never received a backorder email notice from RR before.

Hopefully the new "not in stock" messages on the site are helpful to those who are in a hurry for things to get there for the new school year. (I haven't seen them yet.)

I have always received backorder notices from RR. I don't think that is anything new because that is what a lot of this thread is about. They wait until after you place your order to tell you something isn't in stock. Then,your order is held until they get whatever it is. It is very frustrating because sometimes your entire order ends up getting delayed because of something you might not have cared about, or could have ordered in a couple months. Meanwhile the thing you need now is in stock, but isn't coming any time soon.

What I am looking forward to is knowing before my order is finalized what will need to be backordered. Then I can make a decision about waiting for my order or not.

I was just on Rainbow this morning and noticed that they now have "in stock" listed above the "add to cart" button for items that are in stock.

I was notified by email this weekend that their website would be shut down for a while.  They indicated that they were making many improvements.

I was just on Rainbow this morning and noticed that they now have "in stock" listed above the "add to cart" button for items that are in stock.

Thank goodness. I've had a backorder on all three orders this summer. My Singapore math books will be available on January 1, 2070 according to the email I received yesterday. If I had known it would take 55 years to get the math books I would have ordered elsewhere. ;)

I put in an order on 8/15 and did get an automatic response email, but since then nothing from them. No backorder notice, shipping notices, nothing. I didn't really expect one until yesterday. I understand my order was places on a friday and nothing happened on a weekend. And then I figured on Monday they would be dealing with Monday type stuff. But I didn't think it was unreasonable to hear something by Tuesday. A delivery estimate? Backorder notice? Something? 

I will wait until Friday morning and then I will use live chat to check the status of my order. I do try to be understanding of the fact that they are small and it is rush season.

This is what happened last time as well. I had no contact and my order showed up a few weeks later.

I've been homeschooling for 9 years.  I've always ordered from RR.  Only the past year or two have I ALWAYS had backordered items.  Sometimes they have shipped separately, but currently I am waiting for an item that is backordered and I have no idea when it is coming.  I could have order it as a download from the publisher, but I had paypal credit and ordered it from RR. If I had known it would take more than two weeks (which is where I'm at now), I would have just bought it as a download item.  I wish I had known they didn't have it in stock.

Beth

I put in an order on 8/15 and did get an automatic response email, but since then nothing from them. No backorder notice, shipping notices, nothing.

This is what happened last time as well. I had no contact and my order showed up a few weeks later.

This is what has always happened for me. Recently, I've received shipping notices on the day my order arrives or once, after the order had already arrived. My most recent order was the first time (ever) I've received an unsolicited back order notice. Usually, I wait a couple days & call to see what's going on ... and then I wait for a shipping notice or a box on my doorstep.

I wrote another not so flattering message but  now, in fairness, I think I have to retract it. I just got off with RR Live Chat and the service was really good. My order was shipped out within 6 business days (not great) but it only took three days to get it via UPS. There were 4 items back ordered (out of about 15) and 3 of them were shipped today. They do use DHL and the UPS for backorders so those three items will take 6 days to arrive. The last item is supposed to be in stock within 3 weeks and will be shipped DHL as well. They said I can cancel that anytime for a refund but I don't need that book right now so I can wait.

All in all, not too bad for the busiest time of the year and the decent prices (and free shipping for my order). I would use Live Chat to ask about shipping and orders because, at least for me, whenever I have tried the phone number I get put on hold forever.