Menu

How to encourage dd to read ....Update

UPDATE in #47

something a little more challenging?  She is 13, has PDD-NOS, developmentally delayed, diagnosed with anxiety disorder, average IQ, some working memory and slow processing issues  We have had three neuropsych evals and the whole nine yards. She generally doesn't choose to read unless it is related to her DS games, kindle games, etc. Doesn't like to read books on the kindle but prefers a real book if she does read at all.  She is very visual, loves to draw A LOT! I know she has some issues with fluency and comprehension and  reads at about a late 4th grade early 5th grade level.She never enjoyed being read to, doesn't like reading aloud.

We just went away for 4th of July and she packed a bag of things to do in the car.  The books she packed were the "Frances" books,,,,as in "Bread and Jam for Frances",  etc. And a few Berenstain Bears books.  I honestly didn't know whether to laugh (privately of course) or cry! We have a house full of books she has never looked at.  She is still into the "picture" story books if any at all.  I know she had some  Jan Brett books out  a few weeks ago, too. I did buy her several books about cats and dogs (easy chapter books).  I think she may have read one of them.  Again, not really any interest even though she loves animals (cats and dogs mostly). I have tried encouraging, even bribing but no luck.

I need suggestions on getting her to stretch a bit or raise  her confidence up a bit. Are the chapter books just too boring for her because she doesn't have those great pictures to go along with them?  She did read the 3 Frances books to me in the car and didn't really struggle with them.  She questioned her ability to read a few words but generally got them right. I know if other girls her age knew what she was reading she would be teased terribly. She would honestly rather  just watch a movie (watching Bambi as I write this!) When she was tested by the school district 2 years ago, she did great with all phonics related things, nonsense words, etc.

If anyone has ideas I would love to hear them.  It does get in the way with trying to plan for school work, too.  She is just not interested in history, science, etc. I need some ideas.  Of course I am trying to meet her where she is at and be accepting, but I want to make sure I am doing all I can.

Thanks!

Have you tried comic books and graphic novels?  My dd spent a LOT of years reading a horrific, mind-boggling amount of comics.  I'd hide them and she'd fine them...  Calvin & Hobbes, Garfield, anything.  Then, when she's going that direction, slip in some graphic novels that Timberdoodle sells.

Have you had her vision checked by a developmental optometrist (at least an annual visit and screening) to make sure it's not a comfort issue with font size?

Does she enjoy audiobooks?  Would she do immersion reading with the kindle?

Also, you probably already know this, but her comfort reading level may be 1-2 years *below* her actual reading level.  That means reading at say a 2nd grade level makes it easy enough that she can build proficiency and get faster.  She's actually doing what's normal to do, reading easier material.  It's just frustrating for you as the parent because of the discrepancy.  I just don't think she's necessarily going to gravitate to 4th gr level books right now, sorry.  :(  On the plus side, that's where the audiobooks can come in, opening up some worlds she isn't quite ready to read.  ((hugs))

I would go in two directions: First, if she likes DS games, can you try to find books based on the games? Or things that riff those themes? My kids don't have a DS, so I'm not really up on the games, but if she likes Pokemon, there is a crazy number of Pokemon books out there. Maybe not great reading, but at least something. Second, how about beautifully illustrated children's books. There are some with rather high reading levels. I found just a ton of them in the juvenile fairy/historical tales section of our local library. The reading levels were at 4-6 grade, but still copious amounts of pictures on each page. 

Another option, to get her reading outside her "norm" would be the Great Illustrated Classics. They aren't super adaptations, but do have an illustration on each page (for my son, that was vital). Our library has a ton of them. 

Also, graphic novels are a lot more diverse than I originally thought. My son is a Jules Verne fan, but Timberdoodle has so many options -- science, history, literature, you name it! Start here: http://www.timberdoodle.com/graphic_novels_s/346.htm

We have not tried graphic novels or comic books yet but those are great suggestions. I will check into the possibility of books to go with her games, too.

As far as her eyes go, she had a lot of issues early on as a baby.  She had nystagmus in her left eye (random movement) and went through much testing, MRI, etc. She got glasses at 13 mo old. At  the time they said it was something to do  with the optic nerve (it's been a while, cannot remember exact issue)  and that her vision would never be as good as in  her right eye. (She is adopted and we do not know what went on while birthmother was pregnant with dd.) She used to tilt her head so that she was mostly using her right eye to see and when she was a little  older and ran she would move her head side to side as she ran .  Over the years, however, it has improved and both eyes are fairly close  in prescription now. She sees the opthomologist yearly and also was referred to the optometrist on staff who deals with vision and learning issues.  The only problem she found from the testing she did was that dd does not have 3D vision.  I know there is a difference between this doctor and a COVD but we have gone that route before and after spending a ton of money found it really didn't help our older dd much at all.  But maybe we need to at least have her checked out by someone else who specializes. I just got the distinct impression that everyone who went there for an eval ended up needing therapy.  We were pretty much given a really intense sales pitch and even though they are highly recommended and on the COVD list, it seemed a bit high pressure to us.

Thanks again.

You know, a lot of picture books are written for the parent to read to the child. That means that they're actually slightly more difficult for the reader than easy or short chapter books - but because they're short, and have pictures, they can be more enticing and less threatening for a reluctant reader. Would *you* feel more comfortable going with more-difficult-picture-books for now, interspersed with graphic novels? You can find several websites, like Scholastic Book Wizard, that list books by approximate "reading level" if you're interested.

For my ds, the Magic Tree House series took him from the 2nd grade reading level to the 4th grade reading level. Any series he could get hooked on helped, and our local children's librarian was a good resource for that. Even though out of order, maybe starting with a Magic Tree House book where an artist is met, even if you read it aloud could be helpful. I know one of them has Leonardo da Vinci. 

For someone who loves art, books with wonderful pictures like those of Jan Brett could be very appealing--I can see that. john Muth books might also be worth looking at. Maybe books about artists?

The Buddy Files if you have not already found that could be good (has a dog detective, easier reading than Hank the Cowdog).

Even though she does not like reading aloud, doing some to work on fluency with you would likely be a good idea. And yes, some of the Highnoon High/Lo books might be helpful. including for fluency work at her level.

Most important though, what she is doing and picking out herself to read is probably at the right level for her to gain skill and competence and fluency and automaticity--and she is likely to move on when ready, so I'd be encouraging what she is doing--making sure she has plenty of Jan Brett, Berenstein Bears, etc. to practice on. Then looking for similar things, but just a bit harder, and so on to keep her steadily progressing.

...  I honestly didn't know whether to laugh (privately of course) or cry! ...

Be happy and celebrate that she chose to bring some books!!! Talk about them with her and be as happy as you would if she were a 6 year old, trying to leave your sense of what she "should" be reading at her age out of it.

Your frustration with the eye docs you've seen doing VT makes sense and I wouldn't want a doc like that either.  Maybe drive farther or find a Fellow?  Our eye docs don't put everyone through therapy and there are reputable ones.  It would just be interesting to see if at this point the vision is part of it.  It seems like a complicated situation, but you're certainly doing everything you can!  :)

Are you christian?  The NIrV is on a reading level that would be accessible to her.  Audible has recordings of it as well.  Might even work with the immersion reading feature of the kindle.

Your frustration with the eye docs you've seen doing VT makes sense and I wouldn't want a doc like that either.  Maybe drive farther or find a Fellow?  Our eye docs don't put everyone through therapy and there are reputable ones.  It would just be interesting to see if at this point the vision is part of it.  It seems like a complicated situation, but you're certainly doing everything you can!   :)

Are you christian?  The NIrV is on a reading level that would be accessible to her.  Audible has recordings of it as well.  Might even work with the immersion reading feature of the kindle.

This doctor was a Fellow.  I think her front office staff was a problem, though, but should have mentioned it to her at the time. Just probably too large of a clinic.We only saw the actual doctor at the first and last appointments, almost 11 months later.  That older dd worked with a therapist the rest of the time.

I did find another clinic with a Fellow which may be even closer than the one we previously went to.

Do you mean the Bible for kindle?  That would be a great idea as well.  For immersion reading do you mean text to speech?  I think she has that on her kindle. She would probably do best  to see and hear rather that just hear. (I am like that too!)

Also factor in maturity level and comprehension level as those too can be affected when a child is on the spectrum. It was why, regardless of my son's reading level, I always provided him with books that I felt also met his maturity and comprehension level.

My son also read all the Magic Tree House books a couple of years ago and he still likes keeping up with the series now. He is concerned kids will look at him when getting them at the library but still enjoys reading them when he gets home. He will still take some of our old picture books and read them while we remember moments spent together reading them. Or he will read them to his brother.

Just take her to the library and walk with her through the aisles letting her pick what she wants and observing her choices. Don't get too hung up on grades. It may kill any interest she may have in reading. Look at the reading levels for your own reference when she is not looking.

Thank you!  The whole spectrum issue is a big one for her.  She isn't interested in things that interest  other kids her age.  So it's still cute little animal themed books, etc.  

We have several Magic Tree House books from the older kids and I think we read one together quite a while back. And we definitely need to get back to the library ( hard to get her out as she prefers to sit at home due to anxiety issues but I need to push her in a good way with that, too) 

Be happy and celebrate that she chose to bring some books!!! Talk about them with her and be as happy as you would if she were a 6 year old, trying to leave your sense of what she "should" be reading at her age out of it.

You know, I was actually shocked that she even brought any books along.  But it was her decision this time.  In the past, when I have suggested it, she might pack some books  but never looked at them. So I did give her a lot of praise and sat next to her in the car so she could read them to me (which is another shock that she actually read them aloud to me!)

For my ds, the Magic Tree House series took him from the 2nd grade reading level to the 4th grade reading level. Any series he could get hooked on helped, and our local children's librarian was a good resource for that. Even though out of order, maybe starting with a Magic Tree House book where an artist is met, even if you read it aloud could be helpful. I know one of them has Leonardo da Vinci. 

For someone who loves art, books with wonderful pictures like those of Jan Brett could be very appealing--I can see that. john Muth books might also be worth looking at. Maybe books about artists?

The Buddy Files if you have not already found that could be good (has a dog detective, easier reading than Hank the Cowdog).

Even though she does not like reading aloud, doing some to work on fluency with you would likely be a good idea. And yes, some of the Highnoon High/Lo books might be helpful. including for fluency work at her level.

Most important though, what she is doing and picking out herself to read is probably at the right level for her to gain skill and competence and fluency and automaticity--and she is likely to move on when ready, so I'd be encouraging what she is doing--making sure she has plenty of Jan Brett, Berenstein Bears, etc. to practice on. Then looking for similar things, but just a bit harder, and so on to keep her steadily progressing.

Great ideas!  Thanks so much.  I think we probably have a few of the Buddy books along with several of the "puppy in the pantry" type books from an older child.  I am thinking I will be doing a lot of digging through our books this week!

Have you looked at the High Noon books?  And I agree that graphic novels might be a good sell if she doesn't get confused on how to read them.  They confuse me terribly.  But DD loves them.

I had seen the High Noon books years ago when I took an OG workshop but never ended up getting any.  But I will definitely look again.

I hear you with the graphic novel books. They don't appeal to me but it may work for her.  They sort of bother my eyes!

You know, a lot of picture books are written for the parent to read to the child. That means that they're actually slightly more difficult for the reader than easy or short chapter books - but because they're short, and have pictures, they can be more enticing and less threatening for a reluctant reader. Would *you* feel more comfortable going with more-difficult-picture-books for now, interspersed with graphic novels? You can find several websites, like Scholastic Book Wizard, that list books by approximate "reading level" if you're interested.

This is so true!  She actually learned to draw by placing tracing paper over the pictures in these books and carefully  tracing them.  She has gone on to become quite a good artist! So there is a real appeal with those books for her  and it would be nice to get back to them again. Thanks!

I have never heard of this resource!  Thank you so much! I think I will enter some of the books she is reading and see where she is comfortable.

Have you ever come across the AR BookFinder website? I used that resource a lot with my older son diagnosed at 9 with Asperger's (about a year ago). He was and is an advanced reader but was more interested, back when I found AR, in picture books. Both my kids are highly visual, as are my hubby and I. Both boys on the spectrum. Anyway, I did add chapter books for him but would also go to the library with him and pick picture books that were his reading level. This resource can help you figured out what level some of the picture books are. Here's a link to the website:

http://www.arbookfind.com/

And here's a link to the parent's guide. (Note: This is a PDF file and will download once you click on it. You can find the link right in their website as soon as you click a category on the fist screen. In your case you would click "parent" of course. The PDF file will explain how the ATOS book levels work.

http://doc.renlearn.com/kmnet/R004037812GG7B98.pdf

Once you are in the website, you can click on "collections" (the third tab found at the top) or you can put a title in the search engine to see what level it is rated at. Like Elizabeth said you may have to go a couple of grade levels below but at the end of the day, who cares what others think once your girl is reading and develops the love for reading? At least that's how I see it :). Your daughter's friends don't have to know every aspect of her life ;) . 

All the best! Hope you find something that works for your girl.

Another option, to get her reading outside her "norm" would be the Great Illustrated Classics. They aren't super adaptations, but do have an illustration on each page (for my son, that was vital). Our library has a ton of them. 

Also, graphic novels are a lot more diverse than I originally thought. My son is a Jules Verne fan, but Timberdoodle has so many options -- science, history, literature, you name it! Start here: http://www.timberdoodle.com/graphic_novels_s/346.htm

Thank you!  Like I mentioned elsewhere, we have several of the Great Illustrated Classics as that was a good starting point for ds when he was struggling. So most of those were of his choosing for his interests.  I will take another look.

I forgot about the graphic novels on Timberdoodle's site.  I will definitely look there as well.

What about graphic novels? They are available at many different reading levels, but even the shorter books don't look as "babyish"

You might also try high-low books (high interest- low reading level).

Thanks.  I will go to that site today and see if she can find something that appeals to her.

I know that many parents don't like the Junie B Jones books, but they are also a good transition to chapter books. They have some illustrations and are short books. My DD continued to read Junie B well into middle school just because she liked them. Captain Underpants is another series that sometimes hooks reluctant readers.

I think you might also try books that are not so early-chapter-book-for-girls.  

There are ones like that my son does like, but they can be hard for him to follow, b/c he is not following "why" some of the social things happen.  They also have dialogue where he gets confused by too many pronouns and too many strings of dialogue back and forth, and he loses track of who is talking and who the pronouns refer to.  

There are books that are more about having a strong plot and less about dialogue, and those are easier for him.

He likes dialogue but he needs a little help.  It is ideal for listening to an audiobook while I am in the kitchen, and I can just check he understands, and he can be playing with his Legos, and I can be cleaning or cooking or whatever.  

Just recently he got confused enough with Clementine (the popular series) that he would not have been able to read it on his own, but he is easily higher than that reading level.  He likes Clementine and his teacher read a book to his class.  But that way and with me, he can get a little support in what is going on, and why certain things happen that are not obvious to him, or he might miss part of the plot b/c he thinks something happened for a different reason, or it is just over his head.  

I think Berenstein Bears are really explicit in telling what feelings Brother and Sister have, why they feel that way, and things like that.  I think that might be a reason she likes them and that is a good reason to like them, I think they are really educational.  A lot of books past pre-school do not spell stuff out, it has to be inferred, and then it is hard if it is difficult to infer.  

I also think -- her reading level for decoding may be higher (I don't know).  If that is the case -- I would not be afraid to try some books that are higher level but have simpler plots, or action-driven plots, or just do not depend on a lot of dialogue.  Maybe not so character-driven.  They might be easier for her in some ways.  I think a lot of "boy" books that girls can like too, might be this way.  

Not to not try others, but I am aware of the dialogue/pronouns issue, and I see it a lot in early chapter books.  But then there are later chapter books that are not that way, just from being a different style.  

I also think, between advanced picture books and earlier chapter books, advanced picture books are more appealing, higher quality, more interesting, and more well-written, in general.  So I think -- earlier chapter books are more for kids who really want to be reading chapter books and are motivated by that, or are motivated to read a popular series, or do just like them.  But my older son has ended up kind-of skipping that whole level.  When he was the right age, they were too hard.  When they were the right reading level for decoding, he was too old.  And in the meantime -- for listening, there are some books that are hard for him to follow, and others that he comprehends very well.  

The books that are more about relationships between kids, he might not know why someone is mad at someone else.  Or he is just lost in which person is talking.  But at the same time his comprehension is excellent with other kinds of books and he is even really insightful.  

If she does like Berenstein Bears, and maybe she likes them b/c they are talking about feelings and that kind of scenario, she might like Franklin the turtle.  I think they are really cute books, and very explicit with the feelings stuff too.

But then she also might be interested in books aimed at older kids, but ones that might be easier for her to follow.  Maybe not so helpful if she really is just interested in dogs, though.  There are some non-fiction books about dogs that look good, and they might be some more reading material, too.  

She also might like some of the more older-elementary books where the main characters like video games.  

I kind-of hate exposing/seeking-out those kinds of books, I think my son should find them for himself.  But he doesn't -- so it is down to, he reads or he doesn't.  And so I am finding that kind of book for him.  

I am just mentioning, b/c I never thought  my son would skip the early-chapter-book stage.  But, it seems that he has.  

Also, if she might need help following along with the plot of books that need more inferences, reading them together or listening to audiobooks can help.  I know there are inference programs out there as well, for social inferences.  I have heard of kids making comprehension games after doing Social Thinking programs.  I know there are other comprehension programs, too. I haven't done any of them, so far with my older son I think informal has been good enough.  My younger son will most likely need formal programs so I am keeping my eye out for things that he might use when he is older.  

This doctor was a Fellow.  I think her front office staff was a problem, though, but should have mentioned it to her at the time. Just probably too large of a clinic.We only saw the actual doctor at the first and last appointments, almost 11 months later.  That older dd worked with a therapist the rest of the time.

I did find another clinic with a Fellow which may be even closer than the one we previously went to.

Do you mean the Bible for kindle?  That would be a great idea as well.  For immersion reading do you mean text to speech?  I think she has that on her kindle. She would probably do best  to see and hear rather that just hear. (I am like that too!)

Wow, that's really unfortunate.  Our place has you see the doctor every month.  :(  

Yes, it's a Bible, but it's the NIV *reader's* version (NIrV).  It takes the NIV, which is already pretty readable, and takes it down to a lower reading level.  I don't remember the exact number, but I know it's what my dd read for a number of years.  That can backfire on you. My dd got attached to it and didn't want to move up to the regular when I tried.  Also you could google reading levels of Bibles and see if one strikes you.  I eventually got my dd into the ESV, after a failed attempt at NASB.  The reading level on the NASB is pretty high.  I'm not sure on ESV.  If you like ESV better, same deal, see if you can get the audio for her to listen to.  Some kindles can do immersion reading, which means it highlights the text as it reads the audio.  Or put on the audio and have her read the print version in front of her.  It's a very enjoyable thing to do at that age, listening to audio while you read the text, even for kids with no reading problems.

Do you think there could be the added ASD issue of resistance to change at play? Not that I have any end all solution for that! Just thinking if she is getting a lot of comfort from these books it is going to be extra hard to get her to branch out for the unknown. Would picking a series you think may appeal to her, like magic treehouse, and reading the first several to her thereafter slowly transisitioning to her reading a page etc work? Maybe that would be enough to familiarize her and perhaps get her to make the leap.

Do you think there could be the added ASD issue of resistance to change at play? Not that I have any end all solution for that! Just thinking if she is getting a lot of comfort from these books it is going to be extra hard to get her to branch out for the unknown. Would picking a series you think may appeal to her, like magic treehouse, and reading the first several to her thereafter slowly transisitioning to her reading a page etc work? Maybe that would be enough to familiarize her and perhaps get her to make the leap.

Definitely ASD resistance!  Oh my goodness for sure!  When I think back, those Frances books were her bedtime books for a long time when she was little.  Over and over, I almost memorized them.  She has had a big spike in her anxiety level this summer and just had her new med increased a couple of weeks ago.  

I wish she would cooperate with me reading to her again like when she was little.  I will have to find a way to gently  approach that possibility with her.  She generally resists doing much of anything with me the last couple of years, reading included. So it is hard to have that closeness with her that we once had way back. Part of it is adoption/attachment issues as well as the ASD, her wanting to be in control, etc. 

I am going to look for something she has interest in and start slowly.

Thanks for your insight!

If change is an issue, that could be a reason for Bread and Jam for Frances appealing.

We would do this. I'd get a book or several from a series like MTH from library (not necessarily the start of a series, but sometimes just whatever they had), read them aloud, then if ds seemed to like them, buy a set for him to use (he preferred to have his very own book to be comfortable with).

Having the familiarity of characters and typical plot situations, even repeated words like how the treehouse spins faster and faster was very helpful.

Just as a question (not having btdt), is it possible the "cute little animal themed" is a perseverative interest for her that could be harnessed in more ways? Zoology for science?  Study animal midwifery?  Volunteer at the animal shelter?  Shadow a dog groomer for a week?  Seriously, that's where I'd be thinking, where this goes.  It's much more important that she become a whole human being than it is that she read Dickens.  

And does she like Jim Herriot?  (animal stories)

Also, have you had her screened for CAPD or checked by an SLP?  Did the np evals ever suggest that?  I'm just thinking it would be nice to know you've pursued every explanation for the discrepancy.  But beyond that, it might be time to start harnessing it and seeing what this can turn into for her as a skill/job if she's really into it.  

http://www.amazon.com/World-According-Humphrey-Betty-Birney/dp/0142403520/ref=la_B001ILME1S_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405340780&sr=1-1

These Humphrey books are popular, too.  They are written from the perspective of the hamster.  I think Puppy Place are written from the perspective of the little girls.  She might like books better that are written from the perspective of the animal.  

A lot of the more famous narrated-by-the-animal books use more convoluted language, though.  I think A Cricket in Time Square and The Mouse and the Motorcycle are like this.  

http://www.amazon.com/I-Q-Goes-School-Mary-Fraser/dp/0802776981/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=112E6VJ28RT9HZDFQ3KS

But there are these "a hamster as a classroom pet" books that are more picture books.  Then if she liked the picture books, maybe she would move on to Humphrey.  

http://www.amazon.com/Fluffys-Silly-Summer-level-Reader/dp/0590032690/ref=la_B001H6NSAK_1_35?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405341468&sr=1-35

This is another series about a hamster classroom pet, told by the hamster.  I really like Fluffy Grows a Garden.  

I think Puppy Place are a little more -- about some girls who like dogs and take care of dogs, but a lot of the story is about the girls talking to each other and their own emotional lives.  They are not necessarily just about the dogs.  Kind-of like Babysitters Club from my childhood.  The books are mainly about the girls, who is friends with who, who has hurt whose feelings, who is better friends... and then there is some babysitting.  But the babysitting is a little bit incidental to the books, which are much more about what is going on with the girls, and not as much about what funny thing happens or what emergency comes up while they babysit.  

Then compared to another series from my childhood.  Encylopedia Brown.  As far as I remember, the characters are pretty one-dimensional, with a one-sentence description for them.  And then -- they solve puzzles.  I do not remember them having much about whether or not Encyclopedia Brown has gotten in a fight with someone, or someone has been mean to him at school, or he has accidentally hurt his friend's feelings.  There is a lot of "Encyclopedia Brown, underestimated by those silly adults who don't realize that he is going to solve the mystery."  But it is the same in every book, as far as I remember.  Those parts of the book are more formulaic, the puzzles are what really matter.  

I do try to get my son into so many books that are a flop.  But oh, well.  He has had times when he doesn't want to have anything to do with reading, too.  

The non-fiction section may have good pictures and a lot of content, too.  The National Geographic-published books can look really good, I look for the yellow spine.  

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Little-First-Animals/dp/1426307047/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YN9JBYQ8MFRDVXM4FTR

I have seen this in the library, my older son liked the pictures and being able to flip through and just read a little, not needing to read it straight through.  If she started with the lower-level, non-threatening ones, she might like to work up through the Level 1 and Level 2 readers, and then on to the harder ones.  These are in the non-fiction section at our library, but still good for reading.  And ------ there are much, much, much lower demands for social inferences in non-fiction, most of the time.  But also there are a lot of quality books with nice pictures.  The higher level of National Geographic have a lot of text, but also a lot of full-page photos and drawings.  

Depending on what video games she likes, there might be character guides or things in the non-fiction section of the library, too.  My son does love those, and I think when he has seen he likes a character guide, then he is more open to that format of book in the future, instead of thinking "it looks different, I don't think I will like it."  We have had books from the non-fiction section about Legos, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pokemon, Angry Birds Star Wars, and Skylanders.  We do not have Skylanders but my son knows about them anyway, same with Pokemon.  

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Angry-Birds-Space/dp/1426209924/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

I have not gotten any of this series b/c I don't think my kids would like them right now, but they look cute, and there are several books in the series.  The pictures look nice and they have Angry Birds cartoons, it might be nice if she happens to like Angry Birds.  I have seen many of these at my library.  

Edited my previous post. Some of my comments were not necessary or useful to the topic of this thread, and my wording did not help the point I was trying to make come across anyway :o . My apologies to the OP.

Not a problem!  No offense taken at all.  I appreciate your thoughts.

Just as a question (not having btdt), is it possible the "cute little animal themed" is a perseverative interest for her that could be harnessed in more ways? Zoology for science?  Study animal midwifery?  Volunteer at the animal shelter?  Shadow a dog groomer for a week?  Seriously, that's where I'd be thinking, where this goes.  It's much more important that she become a whole human being than it is that she read Dickens.  

And does she like Jim Herriot?  (animal stories)

Also, have you had her screened for CAPD or checked by an SLP?  Did the np evals ever suggest that?  I'm just thinking it would be nice to know you've pursued every explanation for the discrepancy.  But beyond that, it might be time to start harnessing it and seeing what this can turn into for her as a skill/job if she's really into it.  

I am not sure about it being a "perseverative" interest for her.  I guess I have just attributed it to her immaturity in the past but that is an interesting thought. She was never diagnosed (early testing never caught it)  as on the spectrum until she was 10 so over the years I have had to readjust my whole perspective on what we are dealing with. I am still learning about everything that goes along with that diagnosis and have to remind myself daily how to look differently at behaviors, deficits, etc.

I have not introduced her to Jim Herriot but that is a good suggestion.

She had years of speech, ended around age 10  and they never looked at her from the point of being on the spectrum even though I had asked what they thought about it (they dealt with many more severe autism cases so possibly  didn't think she fit into ASD category). She was never formally tested for CAPD unless it was some preliminary screening by the SLP.

I have a strong suspicion dd won't be able to live on her own, have a normal life like my other dc.  She will need some kind of strong support system, hopefully with  her siblings, as dh and I are getting to be  older parents and won't be around forever.

Thanks for all of your great suggestions!

I think one problem with some of little chapter books is the excess of dialogue.  And sometimes I even have trouble knowing when one character has stopped speaking and another starts!  It can be difficult to follow. And some of the expressions they use can be confusing for her.  Sometimes something that is just a narrated type story is easier to follow, whether she reads it or is read to. I like the idea of stories from the animal's perspective.  I think she would like that a lot and I will look into some of these.

http://www.amazon.com/World-According-Humphrey-Betty-Birney/dp/0142403520/ref=la_B001ILME1S_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405340780&sr=1-1

These Humphrey books are popular, too.  They are written from the perspective of the hamster.  I think Puppy Place are written from the perspective of the little girls.  She might like books better that are written from the perspective of the animal.  

A lot of the more famous narrated-by-the-animal books use more convoluted language, though.  I think A Cricket in Time Square and The Mouse and the Motorcycle are like this.  

http://www.amazon.com/I-Q-Goes-School-Mary-Fraser/dp/0802776981/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=112E6VJ28RT9HZDFQ3KS

But there are these "a hamster as a classroom pet" books that are more picture books.  Then if she liked the picture books, maybe she would move on to Humphrey.  

http://www.amazon.com/Fluffys-Silly-Summer-level-Reader/dp/0590032690/ref=la_B001H6NSAK_1_35?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405341468&sr=1-35

This is another series about a hamster classroom pet, told by the hamster.  I really like Fluffy Grows a Garden.  

I think Puppy Place are a little more -- about some girls who like dogs and take care of dogs, but a lot of the story is about the girls talking to each other and their own emotional lives.  They are not necessarily just about the dogs.  Kind-of like Babysitters Club from my childhood.  The books are mainly about the girls, who is friends with who, who has hurt whose feelings, who is better friends... and then there is some babysitting.  But the babysitting is a little bit incidental to the books, which are much more about what is going on with the girls, and not as much about what funny thing happens or what emergency comes up while they babysit.  

Then compared to another series from my childhood.  Encylopedia Brown.  As far as I remember, the characters are pretty one-dimensional, with a one-sentence description for them.  And then -- they solve puzzles.  I do not remember them having much about whether or not Encyclopedia Brown has gotten in a fight with someone, or someone has been mean to him at school, or he has accidentally hurt his friend's feelings.  There is a lot of "Encyclopedia Brown, underestimated by those silly adults who don't realize that he is going to solve the mystery."  But it is the same in every book, as far as I remember.  Those parts of the book are more formulaic, the puzzles are what really matter.  

I do try to get my son into so many books that are a flop.  But oh, well.  He has had times when he doesn't want to have anything to do with reading, too.  

The non-fiction section may have good pictures and a lot of content, too.  The National Geographic-published books can look really good, I look for the yellow spine.  

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Little-First-Animals/dp/1426307047/ref=pd_sim_b_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YN9JBYQ8MFRDVXM4FTR

I have seen this in the library, my older son liked the pictures and being able to flip through and just read a little, not needing to read it straight through.  If she started with the lower-level, non-threatening ones, she might like to work up through the Level 1 and Level 2 readers, and then on to the harder ones.  These are in the non-fiction section at our library, but still good for reading.  And ------ there are much, much, much lower demands for social inferences in non-fiction, most of the time.  But also there are a lot of quality books with nice pictures.  The higher level of National Geographic have a lot of text, but also a lot of full-page photos and drawings.  

Depending on what video games she likes, there might be character guides or things in the non-fiction section of the library, too.  My son does love those, and I think when he has seen he likes a character guide, then he is more open to that format of book in the future, instead of thinking "it looks different, I don't think I will like it."  We have had books from the non-fiction section about Legos, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Pokemon, Angry Birds Star Wars, and Skylanders.  We do not have Skylanders but my son knows about them anyway, same with Pokemon.  

http://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Angry-Birds-Space/dp/1426209924/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

I have not gotten any of this series b/c I don't think my kids would like them right now, but they look cute, and there are several books in the series.  The pictures look nice and they have Angry Birds cartoons, it might be nice if she happens to like Angry Birds.  I have seen many of these at my library.  

I am not sure about it being a "perseverative" interest for her.  I guess I have just attributed it to her immaturity in the past but that is an interesting thought. She was never diagnosed (early testing never caught it)  as on the spectrum until she was 10 so over the years I have had to readjust my whole perspective on what we are dealing with. I am still learning about everything that goes along with that diagnosis and have to remind myself daily how to look differently at behaviors, deficits, etc.

I have not introduced her to Jim Herriot but that is a good suggestion.

She had years of speech, ended around age 10  and they never looked at her from the point of being on the spectrum even though I had asked what they thought about it (they dealt with many more severe autism cases so possibly  didn't think she fit into ASD category). She was never formally tested for CAPD unless it was some preliminary screening by the SLP.

I have a strong suspicion dd won't be able to live on her own, have a normal life like my other dc.  She will need some kind of strong support system, hopefully with  her siblings, as dh and I are getting to be  older parents and won't be around forever.

Yup, that's why I brought it up.  Obviously I don't know her, but if she has any interests like that it would be good to think about how she could connect with them to have meaningful activities in her day.  She might like to do volunteer work eventually at a place that includes her interests.  

And yes, our SLP is the same way, adamant ds is not on the spectrum.  I don't know, but I do know I'm going to get the evals.  I'm glad you were eventually able to figure it out.  It sounds like you're doing a great job in a challenging situation!  ((hugs))

This is really weird, but I never saw this post of yours before today when I printed out this thread  so I could use it to go through our books. Maybe I need my eyes checked!  But I just wanted to thank you for all of your suggestions. I was just looking through our  books today and she got worried that I was giving them away!  I said no, and she grabbed several of them, a few  Magic Tree House, another Berenstain book, and took off to her room. I had never thought about the these Berenstain Bears books as being more explicit in how the characters are feeling. Now that I think of it they really are that way.  I almost used to feel embarrassed about buying them as some in the homeschool world labeled them as "twaddle" but my dd always loved them. It really makes sense now.  I am going to focus on just getting her more interesed in reading, developing a love for it  and not worry about the level, and others' opinions that it isn't scholarly enough to include in our collection. She probably will never reach those heights and that is fine with me :)

I think you might also try books that are not so early-chapter-book-for-girls.  

There are ones like that my son does like, but they can be hard for him to follow, b/c he is not following "why" some of the social things happen.  They also have dialogue where he gets confused by too many pronouns and too many strings of dialogue back and forth, and he loses track of who is talking and who the pronouns refer to.  

There are books that are more about having a strong plot and less about dialogue, and those are easier for him.

He likes dialogue but he needs a little help.  It is ideal for listening to an audiobook while I am in the kitchen, and I can just check he understands, and he can be playing with his Legos, and I can be cleaning or cooking or whatever.  

Just recently he got confused enough with Clementine (the popular series) that he would not have been able to read it on his own, but he is easily higher than that reading level.  He likes Clementine and his teacher read a book to his class.  But that way and with me, he can get a little support in what is going on, and why certain things happen that are not obvious to him, or he might miss part of the plot b/c he thinks something happened for a different reason, or it is just over his head.  

I think Berenstein Bears are really explicit in telling what feelings Brother and Sister have, why they feel that way, and things like that.  I think that might be a reason she likes them and that is a good reason to like them, I think they are really educational.  A lot of books past pre-school do not spell stuff out, it has to be inferred, and then it is hard if it is difficult to infer.  

I also think -- her reading level for decoding may be higher (I don't know).  If that is the case -- I would not be afraid to try some books that are higher level but have simpler plots, or action-driven plots, or just do not depend on a lot of dialogue.  Maybe not so character-driven.  They might be easier for her in some ways.  I think a lot of "boy" books that girls can like too, might be this way.  

Not to not try others, but I am aware of the dialogue/pronouns issue, and I see it a lot in early chapter books.  But then there are later chapter books that are not that way, just from being a different style.  

I also think, between advanced picture books and earlier chapter books, advanced picture books are more appealing, higher quality, more interesting, and more well-written, in general.  So I think -- earlier chapter books are more for kids who really want to be reading chapter books and are motivated by that, or are motivated to read a popular series, or do just like them.  But my older son has ended up kind-of skipping that whole level.  When he was the right age, they were too hard.  When they were the right reading level for decoding, he was too old.  And in the meantime -- for listening, there are some books that are hard for him to follow, and others that he comprehends very well.  

The books that are more about relationships between kids, he might not know why someone is mad at someone else.  Or he is just lost in which person is talking.  But at the same time his comprehension is excellent with other kinds of books and he is even really insightful.  

If she does like Berenstein Bears, and maybe she likes them b/c they are talking about feelings and that kind of scenario, she might like Franklin the turtle.  I think they are really cute books, and very explicit with the feelings stuff too.

But then she also might be interested in books aimed at older kids, but ones that might be easier for her to follow.  Maybe not so helpful if she really is just interested in dogs, though.  There are some non-fiction books about dogs that look good, and they might be some more reading material, too.  

She also might like some of the more older-elementary books where the main characters like video games.  

I kind-of hate exposing/seeking-out those kinds of books, I think my son should find them for himself.  But he doesn't -- so it is down to, he reads or he doesn't.  And so I am finding that kind of book for him.  

I am just mentioning, b/c I never thought  my son would skip the early-chapter-book stage.  But, it seems that he has.  

Also, if she might need help following along with the plot of books that need more inferences, reading them together or listening to audiobooks can help.  I know there are inference programs out there as well, for social inferences.  I have heard of kids making comprehension games after doing Social Thinking programs.  I know there are other comprehension programs, too. I haven't done any of them, so far with my older son I think informal has been good enough.  My younger son will most likely need formal programs so I am keeping my eye out for things that he might use when he is older.  

• 4 months later...

This is an UPDATE on our progress since I wrote this last summer.

I found a tutor for dd (totally not planned and  unexpected, a special ed teacher taking time off  to be with her  baby) and dd is making progress.  This teacher, trained in one of the major O-G programs, did not think dd needed to go through it from the beginning  but instead worked on timed drills for  word recognition and phrase reading, fluency and comprehension. I always thought dd would hate being timed but she has taken it on as a challenge and loves to see her progress. She is doing an online reading comprehension program and and can now read about 180 wpm with good comprehension, is able to retell the story, learn new vocabulary, etc. She is at a solid 5th grade level now. She is also actually reading books of her choosing on her own.  She actually has two chapter books  going right now!  That is the best part that she wants to read and is enjoying it. I love seeing her with her nose in a book!