Menu

Writing curriculum for a visual, slightly dyslexic 5th grader

I'm trying to decide on a writing program for my ds10. He is a very visual learner and is slightly dyslexic.

He is using Practice Island for grammar, and we are halfway through Sentence Island. I love MCT and we will finish Sentence Island, but he needs more specific drills/practice than it offers. Reading is hard work for him, but is improving with the use of ABeCeDarian, plus lots of reading out loud to a parent. His spelling is very weak, but Sequential Spelling seems to be helping in that area.

He is currently writing his own story on the computer. He has great ideas and good vocabulary, but needs work on crafting good sentences, forming paragraphs and using proper punctuation.

I've thought of having him start Killigan's Sentence Composition for Elementary School. I've also wondered if IEW would work for him. I've never used either program, so would appreciate any feedback, or alternative ideas.

I tried Sentence Composing with my dyslexic ds and he hated it with a passion. Really hated it. Others I've heard like but I don't know if the children struggle with reading.

IEW has excellent reviews for dc with dyslexia. I've heard that Andrew has a dyslexic son. I've been tempted many many times to try it. I still covet it.

I use WWE and WWS. I took it slower for my dyslexic, but it did help him hold thoughts in his head. I'm not sure if your ds needs help with that skill. If not you can skip WWE levels. WWS is working well. It really breaks the steps of writing down in managable chunks. We are only in week 9 though.

I have heard from other dyslexic parents that WWS did not work well. Every child is different. That said I can't seem to remember anyone saying IEW did not work for their dyslexic child.

Do you diagram sentences with him? Some dc prefer the 4 step MCT approach over diagramming. I've not tried MCT. We used FLL and now GWG and both diagram. My ds happens to love it, and it helps him "see" how words in a sentence work together.

I haven't done any diagramming with him. The 4-level analysis in MCT seems to work well for him.

I had read on this forum somewhere that IEW has a pretty specific format the student needs to follow. If that's true, I wonder if he would be turned off by that.

I did take a quick look at WWS, but didn't get the impression it would be a really good fit for him. I'll look at it more closely.

I hadn't considered Wordsmith Apprentice. It looks very interesting. The variety of creative writing assignments would definitely be of interest to him, and it seems like it would cover the basic skills he needs.

I get the impression that WWS and IEW concentrate more on formal writing? Is that so? I'm questioning whether or not I should concentrate on formal writing yet. If I can get him to a point where he writes great sentences and paragraphs, which, at this point I'm sure he would enjoy more if given creative assignments, I think learning and applying that to the structure of formal writing wouldn't be too difficult. Am I missing something here?

You might also look at Jump-In. Similar to the wordsmith series. It is very visual, each page is broken into manageable chunks. I don't have a dyslexic, but I think Jump-In might work. WWS is way to dense. I always hear great things about IEW for all kids with disabilities.

I'll take a look at Jump In. I take it WordSmith Apprentice would "come before" Jump In? How does the regular WordSmith compare to Jump In?

I keep hearing IEW as a good fit for dyslexics, but the price is scary. What does IEW have that something like WordSmith or Jump In does not?

My oldest did Wordsmith Apprentice first, then Jump In. I read a review that said Wordsmith could be done after Jump In, but when I looked, I found that it actually paralleled Jump In. I thought Jump In was a bit more thorough than WS though. WS Apprentice would be great for 5th, then follow it with either WordSmith or Jump In for 6th.

The only problem I found was follow up to Jump In. My kids never liked anything as well as they liked it :(

ETA: I haven't used IEW, but I think what it has is a very systematic teaching method. The step by step detailed process takes the guesswork out of writing. That can really help kids that are struggling to get firm footing before branching out to be more creative in their approach.

I was always put off by the price of IEW too and my oldest who is ASD and struggled with writing when he was young is now an amazing writer (considering it as a profession!), so I haven't regretted not going there.

ETA: I haven't used IEW, but I think what it has is a very systematic teaching method. The step by step detailed process takes the guesswork out of writing. That can really help kids that are struggling to get firm footing before branching out to be more creative in their approach.

Yes, systematic teaching, but also breadth and depth.

I keep hearing IEW as a good fit for dyslexics, but the price is scary. What does IEW have that something like WordSmith or Jump In does not?

I am not familiar with the other programs. I think that, generally, people mean TWSS when they say IEW is expensive, but the thing is that TWSS trains the teacher and could be used on its own merits for years. They sell other components that are more reasonably priced but TWSS is expensive because it is extraordinarily valuable. Just as you can choose to use the WWE year 1-4 hardcover guide or the four workbooks, you can choose to lay out the big bucks for TWSS or buy the SWI/SICC and themed courses year after year. Yes, some people still recommend purchasing TWSS even if you go with the other components, but doesn't that just speak even more clearly about its value? I also like to mention that I picked it up used for $80, so it doesn't have to break the bank. :D My favorite things about TWSS are that you can write across the curriculum and move at your own pace.

Is there any place to "preview" TWSS? If I do get that program, I'll have to buy it used, so I can't take advantage of the company's return policy. If it would really help me/my son, I would be willing to pay the $100 or so that a used copy will probably cost. However, I've gotten other curriculum in the past that sounded great and ended up not being a good fit for us. I just hate to spend that much money sight unseen:)

Jump In focuses on 5 paragraph essays in various styles. My kids did it in 5th/7th grades (together). The next year we did SL language Arts with Core G - blah. In 7th dd did WWS and I got the beta this year, but we've moved to the Lively Art of Writing which I love and she groans minimally over.

Is there any place to "preview" TWSS? If I do get that program, I'll have to buy it used, so I can't take advantage of the company's return policy. If it would really help me/my son, I would be willing to pay the $100 or so that a used copy will probably cost. However, I've gotten other curriculum in the past that sounded great and ended up not being a good fit for us. I just hate to spend that much money sight unseen:)

The way I saw it was that I could buy it new from IEW and return it if it wasn't a fit. Of course, if I kept it, that was mucho $$$$$$$! If I bought it used, no, I couldn't return it, BUT I could just turn right back around and sell it without a loss. But if I kept it, I would be thrilled because I got it for a steal. So, honestly, yes. I think used is the way to go.

My oldest did Wordsmith Apprentice first, then Jump In. I read a review that said Wordsmith could be done after Jump In, but when I looked, I found that it actually paralleled Jump In. I thought Jump In was a bit more thorough than WS though. WS Apprentice would be great for 5th, then follow it with either WordSmith or Jump In for 6th.

The only problem I found was follow up to Jump In. My kids never liked anything as well as they liked it :(

I was always put off by the price of IEW too and my oldest who is ASD and struggled with writing when he was young is now an amazing writer (considering it as a profession!), so I haven't regretted not going there.

I just recently found out from this board that there is a high school sequal to Jump In, on the author's website. I am excited to try it in a few years since my daughter and I really like the format of Jump In.

OP, my daughter used Wordsmith Apprentice last year; it worked to get her writing. No matter how much instruction I gave her, she had a block and just wouldn't write. WA helped her overcome it. This year (and next year) we are using Jump In, and it is doing a wonderful job teaching her how to write different types of essays.

IEW has worked great with my dyslexic kiddo and my older reluctant writer because it breaks it down into manageable chunks and gives step-by-step instruction on style techniques. You can use it later to "write across the curriculum"-

Other programs are Step Up to Writing (which is very visual and more for normal classroom setting, but good for visual learners) and also the Diana Hanbury King series Writing Skills- it was written specifically with dyslexic kids in mind.

I've heard great things about Jump In.

So, I think you have plenty of great options- just a matter of finding the good fit for your dc :) Also, just wanted to say that the resale value on IEW is pretty high, and also for the TWSS our coop has it and there's also the option of going in on it with a couple friends, watching it together and then reselling it. That really cuts down the cost!

Paula

• 3 weeks later...

I have no experience working with dyslexic kiddos so take this for what it's worth.

We are using Wordsmith Apprentice currently. I plan to follow it with WriteShop (http://www.writeshop.com/). I've also been reading through Writer's Jungle and am excited to implement that with next year's studies. WJ gives you (the teacher) guidelines that enable you to guide your dc into better writing without bogging them down in "meaningless" assignments. Check out their website for a good explanation of what it's all about. WJ is an easy read and makes a lot of sense. You may find it useful in teaching your dc.

http://www.bravewriter.com/program/home-study-courses/the-writers-jungle/

*warning - there is a lot to read on the site, but it's worth it.

The topic of writing comes up a lot for dyslexic kiddos. My gifted and dyslexic 7 th grader is currently taking an IEW thematic class with an O-G tutor, 1 hour per week. Prior to this, he spent 5 years in the Wilson Reading program. He has a strong vocabulary with plenty to say. Organization with writing is his issue, and he types most of his work.

Within about three months of the class, I started having DS apply his new IEW writing skills to other subjects and am very pleased. For grammar, he uses Winston Basic and portions from Easy Grammar 6. IEW is his first formal writing class.

I'm not convinced dyslexics require a heavy grammar and writing program until middle school. By aged 10, DS was writing three short sentences describing every two to three chapters he read from a book and creating character/story webs. Assignments for reading involved projects with posters and book marks. I used a book from Evan Moor for project ideas. He also focused on vocabulary. He also would practice picking out the main topic of a paragraph and outlining the paragraph. We used the book from Scholastic titled Paragraph Writing Made Easy.

I believe that the authors of The Dyslexic Advantage recommend books by Diana Hanbury King for explicit, systematic writing instruction.

DS has just started using Killgallon's Sentence Composing for Middle School and is absolutely fine with it.

One more writing program to consider might be Essentials in Writing. It has instructional DVDs, graphic organizers and has them writing in small steps. I am planning on using it next year with my kids so I don't have any first hand experience yet, but it really appeals to me as a visual learner who is not strong in writing myself.

My DS is pretty badly dyslexic, among other things, and so far IEW has been the best we've used. We only started this year, and I'm kicking myself for not starting earlier. It's pricey - even used - but you won't have t buy any more writing curricula :)

There are lots of good writing programs. The trick is to find which one will work for your own particular child! It isn't one program fits all even for the idea of highly visual and slightly dyslexic learning.

My ds seems to be doing best with a Bravewriter approach and learning how to revise and improve his own work, and punctuate it properly. We also uses 6 Trait rubrics to look things over.

Wordsmith Apprentice, Jump In, and ah, so many others line my shelves. I feel like Edison with the lightbulb discovering all the things that -- for my child-- did not work. But each that did not work for him, has no doubt worked for other children.

He is currently writing his own story on the computer. He has great ideas and good vocabulary, but needs work on crafting good sentences, forming paragraphs and using proper punctuation.

Once a rough draft is done, what I do is print it out, then we go over it together and consider what goes with what in terms of paragraphs and mark up the original and get the changes made and then print out again. Then work on sentence revision, including proper punctuation. I read the changes we decided on to ds so that he types in corrections and gets to see the change of, say, a lower case letter to a capital.

Also, maybe if you read Paragraph Town it would give him more of an idea of what a paragraph is.

You may be expecting too much all at once. Ideas is one step. Paragraphs is another step. and so on.

Showing pictures of work of writers who revised and edited their work--with lots of cross outs and changes, and sometimes literal cut and paste from old days before computers can help show very visually how writing has steps.

There are lots of good writing programs. The trick is to find which one will work for your own particular child! It isn't one program fits all even for the idea of highly visual and slightly dyslexic learning.

Very good point. I went through several writing programs before finding something that worked for my daughters, and they are not dyslexic. We'll see how he does with Wordsmith Apprentice and move on if it's not a good fit.

You may be expecting too much all at once. Ideas is one step. Paragraphs is another step. and so on.

I don't want to push him too quickly. I've been thinking about having him continue to work on sentences for the rest of this year, and then start WordSmith Apprentice next year. We'll also read read Paragraph town at the beginning of next year, but he won't be ready to do the exercises in that book right away. He'll need a more incremental approach.

I like your idea of having him edit his own work. I haven't done that yet because I don't want to discourage his writing impetus in anyway. However, we could take single sentences out and have him learn to apply proper punctuation and grammar to those. If that goes well, we can work from there.

I don't want to push him too quickly. I've been thinking about having him continue to work on sentences for the rest of this year, and then start WordSmith Apprentice next year. ...

I like your idea of having him edit his own work. I haven't done that yet because I don't want to discourage his writing impetus in anyway. However, we could take single sentences out and have him learn to apply proper punctuation and grammar to those. If that goes well, we can work from there.

1) If he takes to Wordsmith Apprentice, he could well be ready for it now. A lot early on is not even sentences yet, just words. If he is doing sentences well by next year, it may be way too easy for him. It is meant to make writing fun, and to me it looked fun, and I thought my ds would like it since he was interested in newspapers, but ds kind of shut down on things like writing out lists of this or that--page 10. Turned out he was more able to write a several paragraph essay on something of interest to him than a 4 word list on something of no interest to him.

2) I didn't clearly focus on that you are dealing with stories, creative writing, by your ds. The approach I am mentioning is what we do with assigned writing, and where my son knows that revising will be part of the deal. Whether revising and editing your ds's own creative work is a good or bad idea in his particular case, you do have to judge with care not to cause dampening and discouraging of what is going fairly well. And I would also err on the side of doing nothing rather than causing discouragement.

I do not ever do anything with my son's poetry because that is his totally--and besides, in poetry who is to say if there should be any capital at all or where it should be. ee cummings and W.S. Merwin are fine with their own methods of punctuation. Maybe the same should apply to your son's story writing.

Another option could be to decide on something that you see could use some work, and then work on that completely aside from his story. Or you could offer if he would ever like any assistance with applying punctuation and grammar that you would be willing to do that--and only get involved in his story at all if he ever tells you he does want help, and even then in a way that allows it to stop as soon as he has had enough.

Still another thing that can be done is if it is shared with you, you can comment on what to you seems particularly well written. And that there are good ideas and words is probably more important at this age than perfect mechanics, IMO. I know that is backwards from some of the classic education approach though, which prefers early emphasis on mechanics.