Menu

52 weeks to an organized home for the weekend (days 5-6) post here!

shanvan

FYI: This thread is a spin off of the 52 Weeks to an Organized Home thread where people were originally posting if they joined. More info and links are in the first post on the original thread.

I thought we could try to post what we have accomplished with the related daily decluttering lists here, even if you aren't strictly following them (which I am not). So feel free to post even if you decide to veer off course a little.

Good morning! Here are the 2 items on the declutter challenge for the weekend....

Day 5 - Get rid of chipped, broken plates, glasses, etc.

Day 6 - Declutter kitchen gadgets and cooking tools

I won't have time for these until tomorrow. Dd has sewing this morning and Dh and I are going out for the day without Dc. But I am so looking forward to getting all those chipped mugs out of my cabinets. Not sure if I'll get rid of all the plates. We may need them.

Link to the first 4 days posts

I read the posts about the household binder/book and I might revamp my old one, but it will be an ongoing process.

I have not really joined the group, but I had to declutter my whole house before Christmas. We (another family and I) had been planning a garage sale for two-years. I'm not joking, really two-years, and I had been storing everything I thought I'd sell in the garage (bags and bags of clothes, toys, books, stove, etc.). My garage looked like one of those hoarder shows. My husband had to shimmy down the side wall to get to his motorcycle, the other two could no longer fit in the garage. We had a huge sale in the first week of Dec., everything left over went to Salvation army, plus I wrapped up my collection ofl glass angels and other little figurines and dropped them off at nursing homes for Christmas gifts..

This was really stressful. Mostly the two weeks prior to the garage sale, and the clean-up from the sale. However, today I can actually walk in my garage. It's amazing, and it is clean!!!!!!!! Good Luck, because I really had a hard time throwing things out. Right down to my daughter's toys.

Day 5 - The only chipped dishware we have belongs to a set that I grew up with, so I love it, chips and all. When I have the $, I try to replace the worst offenders through replacements.com, but I have no problem with a few chipped plate edges.

Day 6 - I did this a month or so ago. That included throwing out my broken immersion blender. I find myself wanting to buy another because I have a need for that thing every dang day! Lol

Day 5 - No chips in glassware. I throw chipped glasses out right away because I cut my lip on one once. Dishes will have to remain chipped. I do need to replace a couple of dishes that broke and were already thrown out. Perhaps I can go to Costplus this weekend.

Day 6 - Did this not too long ago but I can think of one thing that I saw the other day that should go.

Went through the dishes today. Threw out the chipped fancy glasses and the still usable baking dishes that make me feel cheap every time I use them. Decided to move a plastic bowl and large plastic measuring cup to the sandbox/backyard because of small cracks in the bottom. Another decision—whether to replace or not. Kept the Corelle bowls that have edges chipped because of the cost of replacing them and thinking they'll just get rechipped anyway.

Gadgets tomorrow.

Erica in OR

I still have a few chipped dishes, because if I threw them out we would have nothing to eat off of. Perhaps next time I am in the city I will see what the goodwill has then can pitch the chipped ones. Today I am trying to get my kitchen actually clean so tomorrow I can start the declutter missions there.

Day 5 - Get rid of chipped, broken plates, glasses, etc.

Urg. Well, then we would be down to the two big plates from when we got married.

So, I will put dishes on my list of wants.

I did have my DD18 go through my glass jar collection and recycle anything without a lid. But I made her keep the cool jars, even if they didn't have lids. Progress, progress.

Day 6 - Declutter kitchen gadgets and cooking tools

But then I'll have to decide if I am going to get rid of or keep the baby food grinder that my mother used when my siblings and I were little...

Done and done. :)

Also, my spice cabinet was driving me crazy and I couldn't find containers I liked. So today I bought a case of small canning jars, transferred some spices, added labels and am very pleased with the result. :D They stack well and they are the same size and shape!

Done and done. :)

Also, my spice cabinet was driving me crazy and I couldn't find containers I liked. So today I bought a case of small canning jars, transferred some spices, added labels and am very pleased with the result. :D They stack well and they are the same size and shape!

What a great idea.

Done and done.

My in-laws are in their 5th and final week of their holiday visit, and my kitchen was driving me bonkers. As often as they are here, they are still unable to put things back to where they found them. It was good to go through and get stuff back to where it goes... and get rid of a few extra items that are just adding to the chaos!

I did a lot on this before the holidays during the decluttering month I started here. But I need to clean the cupboard where my pots and pans are stored, and under my kitchen sink. I bought some great lazy susans on amazon for my vitamins and meds (let me know if you want the link, they're really great and make my cupboard look awesome). We use just about every gadget that is on our countertop, so i dont know how much I can declutter there.

I did a lot on this before the holidays during the decluttering month I started here. But I need to clean the cupboard where my pots and pans are stored, and under my kitchen sink. I bought some great lazy susans on amazon for my vitamins and meds (let me know if you want the link, they're really great and make my cupboard look awesome). We use just about every gadget that is on our countertop, so i dont know how much I can declutter there.

I would love to see some lazy susans for vitamin storage! Please link!

I try to keep things underneath in the cabinets. The coffee maker stays on top because it gets used daily, but that's about it. If there are other things you use every day, I think it is fine to keep them out. I do store the electric can opener, 'cause it's just not very cute. I keep the toaster under the counter in a cabinet. I use it probably three or four times per week. To me, it's just not that hard to pull stuff out and put it back - I keep things right by where I use them, and I *really* like the look of my counters with little on them. Of course, this means you must have room in the cabinets, so you have to evaluate what you have down under there already. On my counters I have the coffee maker, two paper towel holders, a fruit bowl, and a small area with the phone, pencil holder and notepad.