Menu

Cooperative games?

I know that there are some, but I am wondering if anybody has actually played them. I was looking in the RR catalog at them. My fourth child likes to play games (yay! I have child who likes board games again!) but he asked me this week why all the games have winners and losers. I told him that there are games where there isn't competing against each other so now I am thinking of ordering one. He is almost 7 and can read. I was thinking of the Mountaineering one or the Snowstorm one. I'm just afraid that they may be lame. So, any actual experience before I spend $15? TIA!

We love Secret Door! We also really like Granny's House and Funny Face from the same company.

I would say the absolute best game we own (including the non-cooperative games) is Wildcraft. We all love it, and I have given it as a gift at least a half dozen times now and all those kids love it too! Not only is it super fun, but it is amazing how much you can learn from playing. My kids often point out plants they recognize from the game on our walks. :D

We found the coolest little game called RƎD N*VƎMBƎR. The publisher says 12+, but I'd say 10+ in most circumstances (my 8yo plays it, but she has a fair bit of gaming experience). The idea of the game is that you're on a gnomish submarine and everything's going wrong, and you must cooperate to keep alive for 60 minutes until rescue arrives. It seems a bit daunting the first time you play it, but it's perfectly straightforward once you get the hang of it.

Don't worry about the 6.5/10 rating; Board Game Geek reviewers don't believe in grade inflation. The highest rated game rates only 8.2/10.

We love Harvest Time, Secret Door and Snowstorm. There are a few others, too, made by Animal Town. Not sure if they're still in business anymore, but you could check. We love cooperative games here!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

We love the Secret Door. Here's a whole list of similar cooperative games by the same company! I've given a few away as gifts and always get raves about the cooperative games. Next up on our list is Harvest Time, Caves and Claws, Princess, Ogres and Elves, heck I want all of them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_toys-and-games?ie=UTF8&search-alias=toys-and-games&field-brandtextbin=Family%20Pastimes

Wildcraft is also cooperative.

For adults, we totally love Pandemic!

I wouldn't recommend Red November for this age group. It's a bit harder to play and it has drinking/getting drunk and its very easy for players to die in the game.

Pandemic is fine for this age group if he plays with adults (my kids love it).

Castle Panic is fun for boys (everyone trying to trade cards and fight ogres and trolls).

The maker of Pandemic has a new game out...Forbidden Island I think...where all the players try to keep the island floating while they collect cards which mean they've found the islands 4 treasures. Fun.

There's at least one Lord of the Rings cooperative game, and Shadows over Camelot where everyone goes on Quests and tries to protect the castle.

Guest ElephantDad

Besides Castle Panic, we enjoy Forbidden Island. It is made by the same people as Pandemic and is similar, but seems easier for the kids.