Menu

Classical Connections--Does everyone love it?

I would like to hear from some of you who either used Classical Connections and didn't like it or from those who decided against using it. What were your reasons for disliking it?

I don't mean to sound like I'm encouraging a bashing! I don't want that-- I'm trying to decide if it would be a good fit for our family and it is hard to find much negative about it--and I've been looking! Does that mean you all love it? :D

It is hard to decide when you only hear from those who love it.

Any thoughtful "negatives" would be appreciated. Why didn't it work for you? Why did you decide not to use it?

THANKS!

I seriously considered it this past spring and decided it did not fit my goals or budget.

I think education should be idea driven rather than fact driven, I couldn't get past the de-contextualized memorization of facts in CC. I would rather use our memory time to focus on poetry, music, and things related to our faith. I didn't like the Latin program or scope and sequence. I felt like it would encourage the "performer" in me and then in my children, to be filled with information but not necessarily true knowledge, but we'd want to outdo and keep up, cause that's my wiring.

But I do think the campus I considered will be a lovely group of people. I was very interested just to spend time with the families involved and to build friendships there. But I couldn't shift my philosophy of education for our family enough to integrate it into our lives just for the social aspect.

My answer would be what the two previous posters said. Adding: I really balked at the idea of having to sit in the classroom while the lessons were going on - that's just me.

It seemed like it was going to take away a large amount of time from what I had planned at home, and I didn't see the value in the 'academic substance' we would get from CC for that time.

ACK! I do mean Classical Conversations! sheesh. I wasn't thinking when I posted:)

Thanks for the input. I have searched on the boards and there are so many who like (and LOVE) it that it has been hard finding much on the negative side. There is some.

The cost seems like it is a huge block for some (including me as I would have four dk's to enroll).

I have been homeschooling a LONG time and it seems like such a hugh change in what we "do". However, I sometimes think it would be nice for a little accountability for my middle boys. I think it would help them a great deal.

I've also considered online courses for some accountability . . . I go to a Classical Conversations info night this week. I'll see . . .

My answer would be what the two previous posters said. Adding: I really balked at the idea of having to sit in the classroom while the lessons were going on - that's just me.

It seemed like it was going to take away a large amount of time from what I had planned at home, and I didn't see the value in the 'academic substance' we would get from CC for that time.

:iagree:We did it last year. I REALLY disliked sitting in the classroom; it was sort of fun at first to see my dd "in action", but after a few weeks of finding myself becoming the class monitor ( big discipline problems in the class, and moms not there to address because they were in other classrooms) I was really over it. My dd loved it overall, but I suspect she loved the social part of it the most. THere's a part of me that would like to participate again, because I did enjoy the interaction with other families, but I don't think it's for us.

I didn't do it because my dd who I would do it with is not doing all things at one level. SHe is ahead in math and science, on level with reading and writing, behind in grammar and spelling (particularly spelling). It just wouldn't work and it really wouldn't work with my older who is in high school and has done a lot of the work already that she would have been doing since I do science in a different order.

We are going to start CC in the fall, so I don't have any personal experience. I have talked to some parents who have kids in the older programs, Challenge, and that is where all of the memorization from foundations comes together. Many things impressed me, the fact that the kids memorize 160 points on the timeline, they learn to free-hand a map of the world and label the countries by the time they are in Challenge B (usually 8th grade), and they can use their formal logic training in debates with other students in their class at the high school level. I hope these things that I have heard from other parents plays out the same for my kids!

Does anyone else view CC as a pyramid scheme. I did a lot of research on it & that's what I came up with.

Yes, there is a lot of money to be made. I enrolled my 3 kids and found it to an expensive endeavor. I think it's an ungodly amount of money when I it doesn't help me homeschool. I would have to go, sit with the children, help them memorize, etc all while giving up a day of peaceful learning at home. It wasn't worth it.

Does anyone else view CC as a pyramid scheme. I did a lot of research on it & that's what I came up with.

Would you mind explaining what you found? Or pm me. I've looked into CC but the expense and the paid tutors concern me.

People that are involved seem very enthusiastix in talking about it.

The directors and tutors are paid based on the number of students in the community. Parents often sign up as tutors to offset the cost of the program for their own children. In addition to tuition costs, parents pay for the cost of the curriculum and any needed materials, a yearly registration fee, arts and supply fee, and a facility fee.

The director takes about 40% of all money taken in. The rest pays for the facility and is split among the tutors.

That doesn't seem homeschool family friendly, especially when looking at the amount due per child.

...but I found the rigid structure to not be enticing, plus I have heard MANY people who participate talk about the struggles their groups face with classroom management issues on class days, which makes me wonder how good the tutors really are....it's a relatively small number of kids in each class, so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Also, the MLM thing bothers me. Preying on the hs market, if you will.

Regardless, I now incorporate some of the materials into our hs, but am happy participating in other group experiences.

No insult to those who love it, just MHO.

I've been a Director, and I do. That is one of the reasons we left (among many others.) It is absolutely set up as an MLM.

A few briefly: I agree with Jami that it does not fit my idea of classical education, nor the ideal of many smart, long-time classical homeschoolers that I know. I found the structure to encourage problems between those in leadership (some of that is just how HS moms are, but a lot had to do with the way it is structured.) I don't think Challenge is challenging enough. I don't think one-sized-fits-all is the way to educated high school students. The quality depends entirely on the local leadership, and there is not consistency. Our F group ended up being like a little public school, and not at all about classical education.

I do think it is nice for those who just can't find the time to have conversations with or teach their junior high and high school students. It's better than working totally alone. I think it would be good for a new homeschooler with one or two younger children, as the social aspect is nice.

Hey There :) Disclaimer: I direct a Foundations/Essentials Group, and my daughter will be doing Challenge A this coming year as a seventh grader.

There are problems with every group, homeschool or not. Leadership does play a big role in how the group plays out. I am not sure it would be considered a "pyramid" as far as $$$.

In my group, I have told all the families not to let $$$ be the reason not to join... or not to "rejoin". I have a ton of work, and I'm willing to share whatever $$$ I receive... with families who want to do CC with us... if the mom wants to help with the work. I mean... that's how $$$ turns, right?

I had thought of running my group like a "co-op" with us not taking any $$$... except for our facility cost and registration cost... (which goes to CC corporate) BUT, is that fair to those who pull most of the load.... to let some of the families slip in and slip out... without paying $$$ OR time? To me... when you're part of a group... you pay SOMETHING or it's not a "co-op"... Because to me.... "co-op" is a cooperative.

Anyway, like I said... the $$$ is nice... but I'd love to share with anyone who wants to help... especially at the rate that I get "paid" considering how many hours I work...

Now, maybe it could be "argued" that other Directors don't feel this way... or that CC corporate is taking a part of the $$$.... but... that's not my concern right now... I'm just too busy doing what's best for my group... and my family...

There are many lovely options for those who have enough energy to start a co-op by using Living Memory... or other choices... (I love the look of a TOG co-op) But, for me... right now... it works.

Besides CC, I follow a LCC method :)

We visited one and I liked the people I met and the social aspect. I liked the art and science. I had trouble with the style of memorization. I understand the concept of the grammar stage and believe in memorization but it was so out of context. I knew the kids had no idea what they were saying. To me it's different to memorize poems or Bible verses or history facts within a curriculum rather than a list of random facts (which might be unfair but is how it seemed to me on visiting). The people in it wre all so proud of the things their kids "knew" but I felt like their kids really just could spout off a bunch of facts rather than have any understanding of those facts. That's not to say that every CC group is like that or every family who uses it...but it's what kept me from doing it.

I realized that I really wanted the social aspect more than anything and it was a lot of money and time to give to something that didnt' really fit in with our style. We're going to do a non-academic co-op this year for the social and support and I think that fits our needs better.