Menu

Shortness of breath after c-section?

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, because I've been thinking my symptoms were just plain old anxiety. But tonight I was very relaxed, dh & I gave the baby a bath, the girls were baking cookies, and all was fine, when it happened again. I was carrying the baby across the room to her changing area after her bath, and all of a sudden it hit me again - I couldn't take a full breath, had to sit down, felt like I was being stabbed in the back (in the lungs).

Now I'm wondering if all or most of what I've been feeling for the last week isn't anxiety as I'd thought, but something else. Maybe a lingering side effect of some sort?

Is this a common after effect of a c-section? TIA.

You'll want to ask your doctor. You're at increased risk for blood clots in the immediate postpartum period anyway, but I think c-section increases those risks even more. I had symptoms like what you're experiencing after the birth of my third baby. It turned out not to be clots, but those aren't symptoms you want to sit on because they could mean something serious is going on. :grouphug: FYI, had a CT scan and was told that I couldn't nurse for 48 hours. I pumped and dumped and then nursed her afterward. I now know that I would have been fine to nurse her much sooner than that. http://www.kellymom.com has good info on stuff like that. I hope you feel better!

Please go to emergency tonight. You're at a higher risk for blood clots postpartem and sudden, severe shortness of breath can indicate pulmonary embolism. Pain is usually in the chest, but it can present as stabbing back pain.

I'm a new comer here, but I encourage you to get this checked out. I had my third c-section last summer. A few days after going home I had the same symptoms you described. I ignored them for days. (Baby was severely jaundice and I was trying to nurse him as much as possible to avoid hospitalization). It got to the point where I could only sit up or stand. If I reclined at all I could not catch my breath and felt like I was drowning. I slept sitting up for 3 days. I was also retaining a ton of water and had pain when taking a breath.

I finally went to the er, walked in and passed out. They said I was in congestive heart failure. They gave me lasix and I recovered in a few days.

Please get yourself checked.

Chris

all of a sudden it hit me again - I couldn't take a full breath, had to sit down, felt like I was being stabbed in the back (in the lungs).

I'm going now, after finally getting through to the dr.'s office. I would have gone last night if I'd read these follow ups, but I didn't think it was an emergency, so I went to bed.

It does feel worse today, so I'm going. Thanks. I'll update when I get back.

I'll be interested to hear your update, because I experienced the EXACT same things after my c-sections. No problems came of it, though. It has been a few years, but I seem to remember the doctor telling me it was a combination of aftereffects of anesthesia (sp?) and my back muscles getting used to carrying a baby around and holding baby for nursing.

I'm going now, after finally getting through to the dr.'s office. I would have gone last night if I'd read these follow ups, but I didn't think it was an emergency, so I went to bed.

It does feel worse today, so I'm going. Thanks. I'll update when I get back.

:grouphug: Praying for you!

I experienced severe shortness of breath when I had my last baby via c-section after I got home from the hospital. I felt like I couldn't catch my breath or breath very deeply. They had changed my pain med at the time I was discharged so I began the new meds once I got home. I immediately called the pharmacy and my doctor. I stopped taking that med and they prescribed something else so the symptoms I was experiencing went away. I wish I could remember what it was I was taking but I don't.

Just thought I'd offer this as a possibility.

I hope you speak to or see a professional very soon!!

I'm home. I felt a whole lot better after they gave me the Lasix, so I'm hoping it was just fluid. Also, my bp was pretty high when I got there (177/91), but lower when I left.

They also did an EKG, x-rays, and a breathing treatment. I was sent to get a CT, but I couldn't do it. I tried 3-4 times, and they were very nice, I just started freaking out and couldn't do it. I'm still having trouble figuring out which symptoms are emotional/panic attacks (related to things that happened during the c-section that were pretty anxiety-producing, with lingering stress over it all) and which are physical, but trying to lie down in that big donut thing was too much, and I just couldn't do it. I really tried, but I couldn't be still enough, anyway.

Michelle, they didn't say if it could have been my medication, but I wondered that. I am on a substitute from the pharmacy (hydrocodone instead of loritab), so I wonder.

Thanks, everyone. Dr. Hive to the rescue, again.

I'm home. I felt a whole lot better after they gave me the Lasix, so I'm hoping it was just fluid.
Phew. I wish you a calm, pain free night. :grouphug: